TGP, talk to me about Portland, OR

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Weathered, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Weathered

Weathered Member

I'm in the process of interviewing for a positing with a company in Portland, OR, and I want to do my homework if and when an offer comes around.

I'm drawn to Portland because it seems to be similar to Minneapolis (big arts scene, bike friendly, craft beer everywhere) but without the severely cold winters. I'm in my early 30's and single, so it's a perfect opportunity to uproot myself.

If/when I get an offer and start looking for housing, what areas are the up and coming areas? For reference, the company I'm interviewing with is near the Willamette River in DT Portland. Should I be concerned about traffic if I look at a place that's outside of the immediate downtown area?

Advice/thoughts PDX folk?

2. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

just watch a few episodes of Portlandia and you'll be set.. ;)

3. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

It's true, the young come here to retire!

Public transit is great, to a certain degree, depending on where and how far out of downtown you are. Traffic just seems to get worse as each year goes by and more people 'discover' Portland.

It might not get cold, but it sure does rain.....happens to be doing so as I type.

Coffee, gotcha covered. Craft brews, swimming in them. Lots of hot young things to keep a single man happy, no idea! I'm at home asleep when the mating rituals start.

4. Weathered

Weathered Member

Bumping this to the top - I've got a final phone interview on Thursday, and if that goes well they'll be flying me out for due diligence. Thoughts?

5. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

West Hills/ Pearl District is my vote.

What sort of money will you be pulling? Renting or buying?
    That is going to be a BIG factor in where you live in P-Town!

BTW:

Portland is a great city, a few too many cardboard sign mafia but overall a great place.

~JH

6. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

"up and coming" may need a bit more refinement.
    Will your job pay you well enough to live in pre-gentrified vs fixed-up areas?
    Do an RMLS search on Portland, probably focusing on the near-in SE and NE neighborhoods...this will give you an idea of the range of cost you are looking at.

Traffic: it matters, no matter where you live in PDX.
    I used to commute from Milwaukee to an area near Emanuel Hospital (about 6 miles) and I had to factor in 45 minutes each way for a bad day (that's car-commute time).

If you plan to bike-commute, make sure you are hardcore enough to ride in 35F with sideways/driving rain. Otherwise, just buy a bus pass.

Just some opening thoughts.

7. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

Winters, can you handle gray?

People, seemed to be a lot people that were bitter about where they came from, like they had been picked on too much in high-school and sought Portland as a refuge. Lots of nice people too, but don't expect anything more "real," than where you are coming from; its waaaay more superficial than La la land, just about different stuff IME.

Food+beer. Oh gawd the food and beer. Just so good. So many options.

Festivals. If you like festivals, you will love summertime there.

Public trans and bikes. Really great. Top notch for the U.S. (though I was living there when the downtown tram thing was free.) I didn't own a car and had zero problems or inconveniences.

Homeless /drug addicts. This for me is the biggest problem in Ptown, and it's a big one. You can't walk down the street anywhere in the city without being haggled at all hours. It's one thing to be down on your luck, but the homeless in Portland have largely chosen to be that way, then end up degrading to mental illness and drugs. A seriously huge problem in the metro area...not so much in say NE for example.

8. Weathered

Weathered Member

I'll be renting, at least for the first 12 months since I'll be trying the city on for size. As far as finances, I shouldn't have trouble springing for $1200-$1400/mo for an apartment, and could stretch it a couple hundred more if the right place was available.

I'm really excited about the opportunity, as it's in the right industry and I have heard fantastic things about the city, so it's just a factor of knowing where to set up shop for a bit...

9. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

bike friendly? Not so much.

Lots of people on bikes..... but a lot more passive/agressive psychos driving dangerously killing bike riders at an alarming rate. Averages out to a little over one dead a week over a year. I wont tell you any of the stories about hit and runs etc.

I'll just say that in my life I've lived in five states and four foreign countries including Mexico, Chile and Peru and that I've never seen worse drivers than in Oregon.

No, sadly I am not exaggerating.

10. French Fry

French Fry Member

Definitely depends on where your work is, and what type of neighborhood you want. Your budget can get you a decent 1bd apt. in most areas. There are lots of really cool pockets, each with it's own feel. Really depends on what you like.

Downtown by the Willamette covers a good bit of the city, can you get a little more specific? What kind of commute are you looking for?

Mid 30's, I'd be looking east-side between the river and 30th st. while keeping south of Burnside and North of Division/Clinton.

Hawthorne is a cool neighborhood to check out.

11. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

Portland is awesome in the summer.

And can be a bit sporty the winter, especially around the hills and expressways.

Lots of information on the net, and video sites. It's a pretty fun place to live! Vibrant music scene, sports teams, it's a very historic place.

12. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

The dream of the 90s is alive there.

13. teledude55

teledude55 Member

they have one of the best used book stores on the planet.
    http://www.powells.com/

the bridges over the Columbia freak me out.
    lots of great stuff around the city, Seaside, Mt. Hood. Mt Bachelor.
    I like to go to Central and Eastern, OR for camping and fishing.
    there's a lot of trippy people in OR though...I've seen some twisted stuff but Oregon always surprises me. lol

14. pbmw

pbmw Member

Portland is the only place I know of that has a Voodoo Donuts.....

15. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Gold Supporting Member

There is one in Eugene now. They are expanding. If they move north we will all be fat.....er.

16. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

It stinks of Patchouli.
    [​IMG]

17. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

That gives you some options for an apartment. Our mortgage for a 2000sf house in NE is ~1500$. You may want to rent for a while and find a house to buy if you can find one for the right money; it would be unlikely you would loose money on an investment considering the trend of housing in P-town. (*you NEVER get your money back from renting! If you break even on a house sale you basically lived for free).

People do say that biking isnt the greatest in Portland....they always blame the cars. Truth is every single day I see bikes running through intersections, not stopping at traffic signals and darting out into the drive lane when the bike lane has a pedestrian or other obstruction, but accidents are the cars fault.

And.....this:

(all about a hour from Portland)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lghug7I3qs4

18. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

A friend of ours recently moved there. She's an attractive, down to earth girl in her early 30's. Her biggest complaint about Portland is finding a "normal" guy to date who wants to be in a "traditional" relationship.

She went on to say many guys in Portland are in serious relationships with multiple women (who are cool with it)... and at the same time these other women are in multiple relationships with other dudes (who are also cool with it)! She said there's an actual term for it (I can't remember at the moment)... anyways, I thought it was funny/interesting!

** EDIT: its called Polyamory **

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  19. ThugNoMoe

ThugNoMoe Member

open relationships?

I live in portland.. its a fun city. there's actually not that much rain.. but no joke.. its overcast from roughly october till july.. and its brutal..

I get a sunshine break a few times a year in Socal.. NAMM show.. visiting friends and relatives..

makes it fine.

20. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member