TGPers, why do you own multiples of the same guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ferrinbonn, May 11, 2019.

1. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

I keep any guitar I will gig and get rid of any guitar I will not gig

I mostly play LPs and I have 4 of them: R9, R0, Custom and Axcess.

I only need 1 but I can’t choose which one.

2. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

I have three strats - A G&L Legacy, G&L S500, and Squier Classic Vibe 50's.

The Legacy for the standard 50's tones, the S500 for the versatility, and the Classic Vibe is my take anywhere strat that's easy to replace if it goes missing or gets damaged.

3. raviolio

raviolio Supporting Member

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I have two Strats that are almost identical: sunburst alder body, maple-and-pau ferro neck, Kinman Woodstock Plus pickups. The big difference is one started life as an American Deluxe and the other is a VG.

If I break a string on a gig (rare, but it happens) I can grab the spare and keep playing without having to mess with the amp’s EQ.

5. mjperkin

mjperkin Supporting Member

6. journo

journo Member

Guitars are like friends. I like to have more than one because they all bring something different into my life.

Cheers,

Mats N

7. BGReed2

BGReed2 Member

Don't know if this applies very well, but I own four Les Pauls; a Junior, a Special, a Standard (R8), and a Custom. Each as different as night & day.

Mattbedrock likes this.
  8. Crikey

Crikey Member

From one perspective, two Strats are not “multiples of the same guitar.” Even two of a particularly consistent sub-model, like the Eric Johnson or Yngwie Malmsteen artist models - two of them will look and feel and sound different.

9. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Like Jack D and BG Reed2, I have multiples of the same type that are different:

Les Pauls: '59 VOS, Classic 1960, '57 Custom 3 P/U, Deluxe Goldtop, Double Cut, DC Special, SC Special, DC Junior, SC Junior
    Firebirds: V, Celebrity, NR III, I, Zero
    SG: Standard, Deluxe, Special, III
    Strat: '70's HSS ash/rosewood, 70's SSS alder/maple, 54 Reissue, G&L Comanche
    Tele: Am Std alder, 70's ash/rosewood, Nashville Deluxe 3 p/u, Custom (h/b)

And so on. Yes, I'm rationalizing my problem.

BGReed2 likes this.
  10. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple S-Types: a G&L Legacy Special, and a Comanche. The pickup configurations are totally different, and the neck shapes are pretty different.

I have a couple Steinbergers, but one has a MIDI pickup system built in, and is only used for that.

11. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

You find something you like...something that works...and then you get a dozen. :)

I think you're looking at it too generally..."8 Teles" could mean that each one has something different to offer, from neck type, to pickups, to styling and maybe even string choices....or maybe you just wanted three different colors of the exact same guitar. ;)

I went through the "broad collection of guitar types"...but eventually found that I preferred certain ones, and that's how things got narrowed down, but I still have a lot of guitars, similar but different.
    I mean, I wasn't looking to just be a collector of all kinds of guitars, rather they are tools, so you stick with the tools you prefer.

BGReed2 likes this.
  12. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Different tunings, different pickup configurations, different neck types, different colors, different years, different vibe and mojo. So many reasons.

13. Emigre

Emigre Member

When it's all said and done I'm coming to the conclusion that the Strat fits me like a glove. I have loved others for a time but coming back to a Strat always feels like home.

I have 2 atm, an Am Std and an Elite HSS, and I often think, "why only 2?"

I can see the day coming that all my guitars will be strats.

14. Pablo

Pablo Member

Simple answer: I don’t!
    Back when i gigged regularly, I had two Yngwie Strats, which made life easier, if/when I would break a string. However, even then, I routed my main Yngwie Strat for a humbucker in the bridge and left the other stock, which meant that they still served different puposes when recording.

I currently have more guitars in my shed than I ever did, but there are still absolutely no duplicates... I just don’t see the point.

15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

1. Different pickups/sounds.
    2. Different tunings.

16. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I own multiple pairs of socks that are the same

Why Because I can

17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have a neurosis about fret wear.

Back in '91 I bought my treasured Custom Shop Strat but eventually I flat spotted the 5th and 7th frets so I took it to Roger Sadowsky who had a shop on Broadway in Times Square and asked him if I needed a re-fret. He said no, took it somewhere and came back with it after having crowned the frets. But they were lower, I could feel it, and was afraid the next time I would have to get it re-fretted so I bought a Les Paul to save wear and tear on the Strat.

Eventually I bought an amber American Deluxe HSS QMT so I'd have a Strat to play that I wouldn't worry about but I liked it so much that I began to worry about fret wear on it so I picked up a red American Deluxe HSS FMT that I saw on ebay at a stupid low price to practice on. It's a great guitar but to me, somewhat plain looking. Then I saw a tobaccco burst American Deluxe HSS QMT on ebay that I thought was gorgeous, again at a stupid low price, so I jumped on it figuring I'd sell the red one. But I liked it so much I kept it.

Okay, I thought, this is getting ridiculous, three different Strats, same model but different finishes. All four have ebony fretboards which are my favorite because of how they feel when you do bends.

So four Strats are overkill right?

I recently picked up an Ocean Turquoise American Elite Telecaster (ebony board of course) and liked it so much that I decided to get a matching Strat with N4s and a Shawbucker that I ended up liking even better than the Tele.

I call them The Blonde, The Redhead, The Brunette, and Turquoise (named after Turquoise Erving, Dr. J's wife who was sitting in the passenger seat when I saw them at a stoplight in Center City Philadelphia and stuck my hand in the window to shake his hand and introduce myself).

I have 11s on the CS Strat, 10s on the American Deluxes, and 9s on the Elite.

So now I have five Strats but mostly practice on the Elite Tele to save fret wear on the Strats. :confused:

In chronological order from '91 to '19...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  18. JohnSword

JohnSword Member

I keep what I use. I owned 3 s type guitars at the same time for practical purposes, playing live and such. Now that I don't play live I got rid of 2 since I found that I strongly prefer the third one. No use hanging on to gear that's just gathering dust.
    Currently down to an SG, a heavily modded Teisco s type, a Danelectro 56 pro and 2 acoustics. Since it sees no use also thinking of getting rid of the Dano.

19. Ejay

Ejay Member

Tbh...I dont get it...at least following rationale ;)

Differences between solidbodies are small enough as it is, even between strats, teles..even prs and lp.
    To me...a good 25’5 scale with a good coilswitch pup and a tremelo....is a good 25’5 scale guitar.
    Sure...there are subtle differnces, sound and feel...but non that impact your playing, enjoyment, the audience or what gets recorded.

Back ups?....maybe If your doing arena gigs and you wanna match the color of guitar to your jacket...but in my world it wouldnt be the end of all life to grab solidbody X when Y breaks down at 0,0003% odds that that actually happens.

I do also suffer from “great guitar worth nothing” / “special guitar” / “but this one is 1% different”....but I did abandon the “I want every flavour”...sold a few....some are hard to say goodbye to. The truth is I only play 2 for 90% of the time..a prs513 and a byrdland. Sometimes I gig a strat when I want to bring a beat up guitar...sometimes an es175 cause I own it for 25 years.

What I do to keep the hobby of fooling around with gear going....I have 3 “guitarseats” open for rotating to find “the better strat”...or “the better prs”. Thats kinda fun, dont cost anything if you buy used, and untill now go me 1 better guitar in 2 years time. It is hard to let go of very good ones though....

20. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I just like different colors

pomfret, Pushead and BGReed2 like this.