TGPers, why do you own multiples of the same guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ferrinbonn, May 11, 2019.

1. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I had 2 Les Pauls for a while. One of those was just for trying different pickups and wiring mods, while my #1 stayed unchanged (consistent) for gigging.
    Since I'm not constantly modifying things anymore, I have no need/desire for multiple examples of any one guitar.

2. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Tunings.

E standard
    Eb standard (with D-Tuna)
    D standard
    Db standard
    B standard

4 standard guitars and a baritone. All I'll ever need.

wgs1230 likes this.
  3. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I feel uneasy with the feeling of having 4 electrics, let alone two of the same kind.

If I ever find myself with two of the same kind - they sit in stands glaring at each other - because they know one of them has to go.

4. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I’ve got two LPs, but one is a gold top with P90s and the other is a dual humbucker dark burst.

I’ve got three teles: a thinline with a rosewood fretboard, a HH with a rosewood board and a traditional maple board 50s style white guard.

my most similar guitars are the thinline tele and the maple neck tele. along with my 335 and my bucker LP.

5. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Member

Even in the same model guitars come in all different forms - I have two strats, for example, that are entirely different -
    One is a poly finish, 9.5inch radius, modern specs and is rather hefty
    The other is in nitro, 7.25inch radius, vintage specs and is lighter
    The two guitars get totally different sounds considering they're both single coil strats

6. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

I have 4 suhr moderns. One more on the way this week. Two more on order with Suhr. Here are my reasons:

1: why Suhr? the Suhr Modern is my favorite guitar to play. I have other top-notch guitars and rarely play them. The Suhrs to me are comfy, fun and amazing to play, and get the job done. I’ve owned so many guitars and these are just incredible. They sit right (whether I’m standing or sitting) and they deliver. Plus I just play better with the Modern than I do with other guitars.

2: tonal differences. I have 2 in Koa, 2 in alder, 1 in swamp ash. They sound different but play / feel similar. I like that.

3: tuning flexibility. With my newly forming band I play mainly the alder ones. One is tuned standard, one 1/2 step down. One of the Koas is drop D 1/2 step down.

4. Aesthetics. They’re gorgeous and / or badass. The white tiger and neon drip are, well, dripping with 80s awesomeness. The koas are just beautiful. The two on order are a glorious combination of gorgeous and tone monsters.

5. I love the people behind the brand. They’re just awesome. @Husky and team are a joy to work with and to know. They know how to build great guitars and they know how to work with people.

It’s kind of cyclical. #5 feeds #1. As a result, I love to look at and get a new Suhr. And if it has a reverse, matching headstock I feel like it’s made for me, even if I’m not the one who ordered it. \m/ .... and it must be mine!!!!

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    CaliCaveMan likes this.
  7. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I own a Silverburst Custom, R8 Lemonburst and an R7 goldtop because I want to and I can afford them. I see an R9 in my future as well. Really just that simple.

8. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

I do it because I want to. And it smells better than collecting cats.

9. zero_kool

zero_kool Member

I don’t currently but at one point in time I owned two American deluxe strats at the same time. Both were same year, wood, and electronics. The only difference appearance wise or in specs was the color. So essentially the same guitar & they both sounded completely different. So my answer from that experience is that no two guitars sound the same.

10. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Besides liking different colors...I have two T's - a Suhr and a K-Line. I use them both a lot. I usually keep one tuned to open G.

No dupes on anything else.

I was thinking of getting something that is not a T-style - something different. Don't know what tho'.

11. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

different makes, fretboards, pickups, for the love....

12. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I like guitars.

I have more than one.

Though I'm combining functions as I narrow the playing fleet; Tele with 4-way, Strat with Armstrong Blender, LP with coil splits.

The excesses I have are flippers. If a good deal comes along I'll grab it and later resell.

Some are repairs, like a Teisco Tulip with excessive neck back bow and a single direction truss rod. Removed and reset the fretboard, installed stainless steel frets because I was feeling wicked, and will flip it now that it plays well (at the risk the next owner will strip it for pickups). It sounds more awesome than I expected -- basically P90s at LP scale length and the whole guitar weighs only 5.5lbs because of the body design.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  13. Steely Diode

Steely Diode Member

I take the Noah and the Ark approach to my guitars: I have 2 of every guitar model I wanted to own. I have 2 Strats (1 Mex 1 Jap); 2 Teles (1 '52 RI, 1 LTD cheap Asian copy); 2 LPs (an '05 Standard and a '14 R7); 2 335s (a red block marker, a sunburst Dot) and 2 PRS SEs (a Custom 22 and a 245). Love them all. Play them all.

14. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

15. underwound

underwound Supporting Member

Because every Strat I’ve owned has a slightly different feel, sound and character.

16. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

Because I have a problem...

Pushead, Mattbedrock and lefort_1 like this.
  17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Nope.... no problem here... none what-so-ever...

[​IMG]

Heck, we even had that dog's brother!!
    Puppies for Life !

Otter359 likes this.
  18. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

A succinct answer is always best. And I agree. I have 3 Vadars but they are all radically different.

lefort_1 likes this.
  19. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I think for me, I've come to realize I like the feel and shape of certain instruments over others and I like certain pickups. My preference is Les Paul type guitars with HBs. I like the variations on the theme that sound, feel, and play different. I've tried twice to do the Flying V but the string spacing and the fact I'm not a metal player have made me realize it's just not my jam. It would sit on my wall looking cool but I'd rarely play it. Instead, I'm going to take out the particular set of Whole Lot of Humbuckers in them (which sound awesome) and put them in a Les Paul Goldtop that's on the way. I'll be finding a new home for this V. Great guitar...just not my jam.

The other reason I'd want a number of the same model/style of guitar is to handle different tunings. Once you hit my age (near 50) and you're trying to play rock songs of yore with similar older guys, get ready to tune down a half step or full step to help the singer.

The last of course is just the simple vanity of it...just like throwing on different jeans or different short sleeved shirts.

lefort_1 likes this.
  20. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

I have 7 Jazzmasters. I guess I like them. Different colors, different models, different pickups, and so on. I’ll likely have one or three more before I’m done.

EarleG likes this.