TGPers, why do you own multiples of the same guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ferrinbonn, May 11, 2019.

1. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I don't. I suppose my Forshage Neo and ES339 could be seen as basically duplicates, but not quite like having 2 strats or 2 teles.

If people want to do that sort of thing, it is their money. The guitars I have certainly overlap some but mostly each does their own thing.

2. neil99

neil99 Silver Supporting Member

I have 5 strat shaped guitars, but only one traditional pu configuation, one am std with Humbuckers, 1 Charvel 2 buckers and Floyd, Charvel hum 2 singles, and Kramer Richie sambora, Floyd and 3 Humbuckers, then a nocaster and a prs hb11 and an explorer

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  3. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever had a Strat or Tele that sounded or felt exactly like the other. I've been told (here?) that two guitars, made one after the other on an assembly line, out of the same wood (tree?), can still sound and play very differently.

4. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

I've got two Teles. One is a MIM that I got when I first started playing guitar and modded the heck out of and occasionally give out as a loaner.

The other is a Suhr Custom T worth several thousand more and comes out to play on special occasions. Most of the time, the Suhr is the bedroom player and the one I keep closest at all times.

Both have their jobs and I love each for what they are. Plus its nice having one with a rosewood neck and one with a maple beck.

5. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Yes. Exactly. Part of being a musician is learning about your tools. Playing various guitars,very similar EXCEPT for one thing, teaches you what the change does. Not a perfect test, but pretty good..and if buying a guitar is cheap enough..why not? Its kinda fun.

6. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I would agree. Every guitar Ive ever played never had a clone. The cellulose patterns in wood differ, the drying is different (less complete?), the transfer of energy in the neck pocket once laquer is done, etc etc So many variables!

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  7. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I agree, "the same" guitars usually have a different feel and/or pickups. I've bought a few Les Pauls just to have a place to install some great sounding pickups that I bought first, I didn't want to remove other pickups that I also like.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  8. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

It's sort of a hobby here that has run amuck. Actually it is just out of playing enjoyment, interest,
    curiousity and fascination. You only live once far as we know so may as well enjoy it. There are
    certainly more expensive and crazier pastimes.

Trio likes this.
  9. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I like strats. I have 4 with one more on the way. They all play and sound a little different.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  10. 100JH

100JH Member

Different voices

GtrGeorge! and eclecticsynergy like this.
  11. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Why do I own multiples of the same guitar? Because I can.

Face it, I like Les Pauls and 335s (basically Gibson style guitars). Why should I own a bunch of guitars I don’t like and won’t play? I’m not interested in having one of everything out there.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  12. muzishun

muzishun Member

Ok ok but how about those that have to own one of every dam type of guitar ever!? o_O

Commitment issues? Pick a type and settle down. :mad:

13. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

I have one electric and one acoustic. Life is good. The guitars get played a lot. I might get myself a second electric, or not. I can see having a backup of your number one that is similar if you play in a band, but otherwise I am very much a consume less kind of person.

14. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I play a Ric and I'm currently saving up for a second. One will be setup and intonated for use with a capo on the 3rd fret. I play a lot of songs that need a capo on frets 2/3/4, and it always frustrates me how the guitar tuning is always off with the capo.

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Over the decades I have accumulated multiples of various models. Some have different configurations, pickups or hardware. But even among the ones that seem similar, every one has its own inherent character - tone and feel can vary quite a bit from one to another. Plus, I keep one of each type that's suitable for hazardous duty.

16. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

I long aspired to owning multiples of several of the big name models, and a bunch of less famous, yet unique ones. Would have gone that path earlier in life if the funds had allowed. So I do understand the OP's question about many TGP'ers.

Now, I'm so overwhelmed with interests and hobbies outside of guitars, that I'm struggling to both find time and funds to get outfitted for them all.

Ever price a good stand-up paddle board, and roof rack to haul it? Never mind a decent center console Carolina Skiff...

boo radley likes this.
  17. twotone

twotone Member

Colours, mainly. A couple duplicates have different pickups.

18. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I like the pretty colors.
    [​IMG]

daacrusher2001 likes this.
  19. uab9253

uab9253 Member

At one point, I had 8 Epiphone Les Pauls. One was a triple pickup Black Beauty, another one I had swapped DiMarzio's in but the other six were stock and only differed in finish, year and build country. I was an overachieving underachiever. :)

20. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

They are all different. That said, when playing a show, I usually need a similar sounding guitar as a backup. If I was playing live more often, it might make sense to have multiples that were identical, but I am only playing live about once a month on average, so the desire for variety outweighs the desire for a redundant copy.