TGPers, why do you own multiples of the same guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ferrinbonn, May 11, 2019.

1. rocknroling

rocknroling Member

I used to have multiples of the same guitar for different tunings when I played live. One for Standard, one for E Flat. But now I have a drop pedal for that so I sold the duplicates for some other fun toys. I am considering getting a duplicate of my EVH just in the event that the floyd rose has an issue and I need to get through a set without taking 3 or 4 minutes to get everything back to good.

2. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I have a recently purchased new R9, which I have been using at my live work, and love it.

Then, last week sometime, I was surfing MF and found a Purple Fade Burst LP from the custom shop with push/pull dials for coil splitting, out/in phase, and thought to myself..."I like the color and the flexibility".

In my playing life, I have had almost every color offered on Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, and 3X5's. I didn't have white, nor some of the off-traditional colors like Iguana Green, and the like, but in the regular colors, I've had most all of them, if I liked the color. I also had Gibson paint some of my custom shop guitars in my own paint scheme, so I've been through a lot of colors. However, I had never seen before a purple fade burst and it just struck me as a great, and unusual color which I would like.

I had original issue Jeff Beck Strats in Midnight Purple and loved that color so that is partly why I was attracted to this Gibson.

While this also a LP, it is different enough from my R9 that if I like it, both will get used and played live. if I don't like it, it will simply go back.

When I was playing a lot more, early on, I always had an exact backup of my main guitar, for practical reasons. At least I thought the reasons were practical.

Otter359 likes this.
  3. epauley

epauley Member

I own Gibson's, PRS's and Fender's. The only multiples I have are Strats - an American Standard with standard pickups, an American Standard with vintage pickups, and an Elite. Each has a different voice. I only use standard tuning and stock pickups.

Otter359 likes this.
  4. data_null

data_null Member

Need to have multiples of certain guitars for live shows. If something happens to one I need to be able to switch to another quickly.

5. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I tend to leave gear at my practice studio, but need a guitar at home... Now I have an extra LP at home, but its always good to have a backup

6. msquared

msquared Member

I like to have guitars hanging on the wall so that I'm regularly inspired to pick one up and play without having to go downstairs and pull one out of the case or whatever. Having kids who play the guitar, I like making sure that they have this option (or distraction, if you will).

I'm also lucky enough to have a partner who loves guitars as visual art and thinks that we should have them hanging in multiple rooms. I get a lot of "you should consider buying that, it would look good in the living room".

This means I need more than a couple.

7. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

I used to want to own different kinds of guitars for the sake of having more variety/versatility.

This methodology allowed me to own so many different guitars over the years and really be able to compare and understand the different kinds. After many years of this though, I learned that I can survive happily with just Telecasters.

With that knowledge in hand, I now own three Telecasters and nothing else. Telecasters are simply my favorite (and I'm confident in that now, because I've tried and owned just about everything). So, now I'm just narrowing it down further. I have a Blackguard style, a '60s style, and a more modern styled one. All similar, but still so different...

dirk_benedict likes this.
  8. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I gig on a weekly basis and 4 of my 8 guitars are used for gigging week in week out. Its nice to be able to swap out guitars from week to week. If I break a string I,m not in a rush to change it out.

9. RL2792

RL2792 Member

I've got 5 strat-style guitars, because, well, I was bound and determined to find one I liked to play. That's not entirely accurate. I learned to play on a cheap strat copy. In the early 90's, I got a Fender American Standard strat, but I never really bonded with it. I then moved to teles and Gibsons. But, I always loved the sound of a strat, so I never gave up hope. I bought a Fender MIM Deluxe strat a few years back because it has a 12 inch radius. Since I like that radius on Gibsons, I thought it might work well on a strat. Bingo! It worked for me. My thought process was then that if a Mexican strat sounds and plays this well, why not get higher end models, which undoubtedly will be better. This lead me to buy a John Page Classic, G&L Legacy (both with 12 inch radius), and a Fender American Professional (I just liked the color of this one). Funny thing is, now that I spend so much more time on a strat (the G&L Legacy is my fav, but the Mexican strat is damn close), even the 91 Fender plays better to me.

10. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Because telecasters are darn addictive once you learn just how much variation there is between guitars with "identical" features.

But seriously though, like many in the thread for me it's primarily a gigging-based thing. I want to be able to switch guitars mid-song in seconds and not have to worry about gain/volume/EQ, etc.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  11. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

I don't. I wouldn't mind owning two or three Strats. Don't need two of anything else...

12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

All my Les Pauls are different variations: Goldtop with P90s, Standard flametop Burst with PAFs, Studio Goldtop with hot buckers, and a single cut Junior. All my Strats are different custom colors, but very similar otherwise; White, Shell Pink and Candy Apple Red. I like custom color Strats.

So, it's model differences and colors. That's what works for me. Judging by the amount of responses, there are many reasons for having multiple models of the same guitar. The bottom line is, guitars are all different, even within the same model range.

13. Axe Arsenal

Axe Arsenal Member

Guys ask me why I have 3 white strats, they are all alike…?
    I don't see that, they are all different.
    [​IMG]

14. Pushead

Pushead Member

Because sometimes you need a guitar that matches your outfit.

donthasslethehoff likes this.
  15. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

I have similar guitars but different setups or features. For example I have two Gretsch 6120 Hollow Bodies. One is Tone Post bracing and one is Trestle bracing. The Tone Post bracing gives in to feedback much easier than the Trestle bracing does so I use it for stuff where I want feedback e.g. Psychobilly or Garage stuff. I use the Trestle bracing for Rockabilly and Surf because I don't want any feedback.

16. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

how can less be more, more is more

17. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Because 4 Les Pauls is better than one!!

18. MartinC

MartinC Member

I could justify 2 strats on the basis of having one with a blocked trem, the other with a floating trem ... probably with the former in HSS configuration and the latter in SSS. Right now I only have 1 (HSS, blocked trem).

I could only justify one Tele ... with traditional neck and tele pickups. I currently have no tele.

I could justify 2 Les Pauls (or similar ... eg PRS singlecut) ... one with P90s and the other with mini-HBs. I currently have no LP.

I couldn't justify multiples of the same guitar, if the only difference was cosmetic.

19. ratbatstrat

ratbatstrat Member

It's like having 6 flavor of candies instead of one

20. JonSick

JonSick Member

Multiples I own of:

ESP SV Standard: I have three. Two black, one white. I love these guitar, great players. I use these in a death metal project and they look awesome. The white is a drop tuning for a couple of songs, the black ones are C# standard. Good to have backups for live shows.

Jackson KV2s: Same reason, these are in standard tuning. Different colours and slightly different control layouts. I just like Vs I think.

Jackson RR1s: I got good deals on both, nice to play guitars.

ESP MIIs: When people were trying desperately to get rid, I was buying! I bought the red one for £500. Absolute bargain. Neckthru MIJ too! A few scuff marks and needed a little fretwork but all good.