TGPers, why do you own multiples of the same guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ferrinbonn, May 11, 2019.

1. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

Indeed.

For those of us of modest means, having multiples of the same basic guitar doesn't offer the same value as having a more diverse collection.

Of course, if you've concluded that Strats or Pauls or whatever is THEE guitar for you, I can understand having a few variations of them, but that is a much more narrow approach.

COYS likes this.
  2. Bogner

Bogner Member

Because...Just because. :)

saitama and tonedover like this.
  3. monty

monty Member

Didn't read the whole thread, just wanna say I like different colors :)

JukeBoxRat likes this.
  4. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I honestly can't justify in anyway having 4 strats.

2 of those are Clapton Strats. One with Lace one with Noiseless. The difference in miniscule. Mainly I have both cause one is Black and the other is Pewter and I like how they look!

The 2 others are a great '64 RI Ltd Ed that is a great straight ahead Strat
    and a 1996 Texmex Strat with Lace Red, Silver, Blue! It's just a really good guitar as well that I can't justify selling anymore than I can justify keeping. No one would give me enough money for it to replace it with something as good as it is.

5. JukeBoxRat

JukeBoxRat Member

I love guitars and they call me. Sometimes I can afford to buy them when that happens and sometimes not. I didn't intend to have a collection, it just happened over the past couple decades and it didn't really happen logically. Thus multiple Strats, etc.

6. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

Yes, You probably already know that's because the capo is pressing down pretty hard on the strings behind the fret and causing them to go a bit sharp; some strings more than others.
    One thing that will help is to use a capo with adjustable tension and set it as light as you can while still getting clean open string tone.

S Mac

7. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I currently have three strat styles. I justify them by their different pickups: SSS, HSS and HSH. On one hand three strat styles does seem redundant, otoh they actually do different things. But I'm considering getting rid of the HSS, because I can approach it's sounds from either of the other two. Three is a bit much

8. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

I can justify having my four Strats:
    My two main gigging Strats are set up nearly identically for back up purposes and live in my van (unless it gets below freezing the I bring them in). There are also three amps in the van.

I have one at our rehearsal place along with another spare amp so I don't ever have have to heft them around.
    I have one leaning against my bed ready to grab whenever I get a tune in my head or want to figure something out.
    I have a small amp here at home but usually only use it when I'm doing maintenance or changing pickups or something else that needs testing.

Now, I have duplicate Teles for all the same reasons for when I'm on a Tele kick.
    And a couple pro-line Gretsch guitars. Gotta have a backup for Gretsch too you know.

Then there's the two custom builds (Warmouth and USACG) because everyone must embark on that journey and experience building his 'dream' guitar at least twice.

And a couple good acoustics are necessary just because they are.

S Mac

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  9. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

I posted earlier in this thread, but this just randomly popped into my head and I'm going to try to use wine as an analogy…

Fender = Red Wine
    Gibson = White Wine

I can try a few samplings of red wine and a few samplings of white wine and pretty quickly decide whether or not I have a preference for one over the other (obviously, some people simply love both). For me, I was able to say pretty quickly that I'm a confirmed red wine drinker. I still tried plenty of white wine along the way…but I always woke up with a headache.

Anyways, within the realm of red wine, there are so many different types - Cab Sauv (Tele), Merlot (Strat), Pinot Noir (Jazzmaster), etc. Unlike the more obvious decision between red wine and white wine, learning my preference for a particular type of red wine took more time (and a lot of sampling). I really had to enjoy multiple labels of each type before I could hone in on my preferences.

It took years, but I've learned that a Cab Sauv (Tele) is definitely my favorite type of red wine. Other types of red wine are certainly enjoyable (and familiar) - but, now that I know my preferences, why would I want to own something that's only my second or third favorite? It'll just sit in the cellar.

So, I'm sticking to Cab Sauv's. There are still so many labels to explore! Here are three that I own right now (all made with California grapes, haha) -

[​IMG]

Of course, I'm still happy to go to the wine store (guitar store) and try some samples (play other types of guitars in the store) - but it's unlikely that I'm going to leave with anything other than my beloved Cab Sauv (Tele).

10. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

One for each Supro! ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sergiodeblanc, Csapo and RICFREAK like this.
  11. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

I admit that sometimes whatever band ive been obsessing about lately creates a “need” for a given guitar

Headed to Tool concert soon so im sure ill be wanting a silverburst LP :)

pirate19 likes this.
  12. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

because we can't remember what we bought already?:oops::anon:bonk

13. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Guitars have heard of me and search me out. Mostly really cheap ones in need of a home. Once you get so many of them there's bound to be some duplicates.

14. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

My, what a "Harmonious" collection. :)

lefort_1 likes this.
  15. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I've got about 20 Harmonys. But they don't all look the same ;)
    About a 1:1 ratio of Electrics : acoustics.

2 lap steels
    H-22 Bass
    H-44 Stratotone
    H-49 Stratotone
    2 of the H-76/7x series (like in the pic)
    H-72 (like a 77 but with a Fender-like headstock and wider DeArmond pickups)
    3 simpler Stratotones
    H54 archtop with a P-13 pickup
    H-58 Roy Smeck with 2 P-13's

Acoustics:
    2 1260 Sovereign 6 strings
    1 1270 Sovereign 12-string
    Hollywood
    Broadway
    Patrician
    2 Stellas
    H-1215 (campfire guitar, rescued from a Meth House Garage Sale)
    H162 small body 6'er

I've had others but moved them on over the years.

Harmony??? I can't even carry a tune!

16. pirate19

pirate19 Member

I have 5 "Les Pauls" and 2 "Teles." I have multiples due to a desire for different finishes/tunings/"motifs." I could probably sell one of the 50s Tributes and be fine, but I know I'd just be on the hunt for another Gibson burst finish or humbucker goldtop Les Paul down the road...

LPs:
    Agile 3100 Silverburst: wanted a drop-D Silverburst (@tonedover you have the right idea!)
    Agile AL2K Tobacco Burst: wanted a "Jimmy Page" guitar (Duncan WLH bridge pickup, GFS 59 neck)
    Gibson 50s Tribute Les Paul vintage sunburst: wanted a "proper" Gibson with a burst finish
    Gibson 50s Tribute Les Paul goldtop: wanted a humbucker goldtop Gibson (and it was a great deal)
    Gibson 60s Tribute Les Paul goldtop: wanted a P90 goldtop Gibson

Teles:
    Agile TC-625: wanted a "standard" tele
    Agile TC-730 thinline: wanted a thinline tele.

tonedover likes this.
  17. saitama

saitama Member

I have about 10 strats. I don't even know how many - I really need to do an inventory. I probably have around 50 guitars.
    Anyway. The strats - different colors, different years. I have maybe 6 American standards, 1 elite, 1 deluxe, etc.
    I have multiple Les Pauls too - 3 R8s, 3 R7s .. 1 Standard, 2 68 Reissues. ..

18. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

stayed at a random home one time - owner rented out rooms for the night. dude had like 500 guitars. no joke

19. DGrig

DGrig Member

For me it was bad planning plain and simple mixed with small parts of greed, envy, and lust. ALso, if I'm being honest, they are the right tools for the job, for me.

20. Terry Chamness

Terry Chamness Member

I have 10 michael kelly hourglass guitars. There is something about them that just fits me. The body shape, the neck shape, and the light weight, but mostly the great price! Most of them cost me between $250 to $350. Though the prices on them has started to creep up. I think I am lucky to find a guitar model that fit me so well for small money.

Last edited: May 16, 2019