• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

TH30, IRT60H, Tubemeister Deluxe 50 or HT Club 50?

Guitarjon

Hey everyone,

I have a bunch of amps that have a wattage rating between 30 and 60 watts that are also similarly priced, at least here in the Netherlands. The prices range from approximately 650 to around 850 or so. I'm talking about the Orange TH30H, a Chinese made 30w EL84 (4x EL84)Orange with a very distinct high-gain sound and a gorgeous clean! This amp sounds very Orange-y, plenty of fizzle but it's kind of scooped compared to other Orange amps. Then we have the Blackstar HT Club 50 MK II, a 50w amp with 2 EL34s in the powersection. Two different clean channel voicings and two different drive voicings. A pretty versatile amp, also with a unique sound. The Hughes & Kettner is the smallest amp in the bunch. 40w and a 4x EL84 powersection. A simple layout but powerful clean, crunch and lead tones. Finally we have the Laney IRT60H or Ironheart 60 head. This amp has a special place in my heart as it sounds so good and it's quite tweakable! This amp is 60w and it has w 6L6s in the powersection.

I know that players with a budget around the 650-850 euro mark often look for these models, especially rock and metal players. That's not to say that these amps can't do clean or crunch tones. In fact, most of them are really good at those things. Feature wise these are all pretty different and they each have a very unique and distinct sound. Anyway, so I thought it would be fun and hopefully useful to make a little comparison. Of course I'd be interested to know which one you would choose if you could only pick one, and why!

Check it out:

guitarman3001

Just my opinion but I'd remove the H&K from the list. I don't have any experience with the Laney but I've read they are solid amps.

Out of the Orange and the Blackstar, I'd go with the Blackstar. It's a much more versatile amp. I have a Blackstar HT-20MKII combo and an HT60MKII combo. Both are awesome amps. I believe the HT-50 MKII is a higher wattage version of the HT20MKII. Out of the HT20MKII and the HT60MKII, I like the HT20 more.

So, my choice would be the HT50MKII. The Orange would be a close second. They are really nice, but can sound a little dark and scooped like you noticed. The Laney is an unknown, and the H&Ks are, IMO, not good. I know a lot of people like them but they're not for me.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
the Orange all the way. their natural channel is phenomenal for pedals, the gain is that great “orange” grind, and headroom in the gain also responds to eq pedals sooooo darn well, you can basically revoice the amp into whatever else you “need”

guitarman3001

the Orange all the way. their natural channel is phenomenal for pedals, the gain is that great “orange” grind, and headroom in the gain also responds to eq pedals sooooo darn well, you can basically revoice the amp.
Although my first choice would be the Blackstar, I don't disagree with this. The Orange is a great amp too. I think the OP would be happy with either one.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Personally, I think the Orange TH30 has the best clean channel of any amp they make. The dirt channel can be a mixed bag, but depending on your style preferences, it can be tamed. But that clean channel, super nice.

Guitarjon

Personally, I think the Orange TH30 has the best clean channel of any amp they make. The dirt channel can be a mixed bag, but depending on your style preferences, it can be tamed. But that clean channel, super nice.
The clean channel on the TH30 is very nice indeed. The dirty channel is on the fizzy/scooped sound. Kind of like the Dark Terror but with more mids. The Dark Terror was so scooped and fizzy. With the right cab/speaker you can make it sound pretty great though but it is a very specific sound that not everybody enjoys.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
The clean channel on the TH30 is very nice indeed. The dirty channel is on the fizzy/scooped sound. Kind of like the Dark Terror but with more mids. The Dark Terror was so scooped and fizzy. With the right cab/speaker you can make it sound pretty great though but it is a very specific sound that not everybody enjoys.
Agreed. The Dark Terror, the dirty channel of the TH30, and one of the two channels of the Dual Dark 50/100 all share that same two-knob EQ profile and sound very similar to one another, with any differences being between the tubes and the iron. And yes, I would agree, that dirt channel is a love it or hate it premise.

Guitarjon

Agreed. The Dark Terror, the dirty channel of the TH30, and one of the two channels of the Dual Dark 50/100 all share that same two-knob EQ profile and sound very similar to one another, with any differences being between the tubes and the iron. And yes, I would agree, that dirt channel is a love it or hate it premise.
Yeah, the TH30 does seem to sound quite a bit better than my old Dark Terror, but maybe mine was faulty or something. The Rockerverb tends to be a much more accessible amp in general. Not knocking the TH30 at all because it's a great amp but if you're planning on getting one, know what you're getting sound-wise before you get it, and make sure you match it up with some suitable speakers.

Trending Topics