Thank you Mr. Marichev at AMT ("Japanese Girl" content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Feb 16, 2012.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Some may have seen my post about their recent release,
    concerning the name of the product.

Here's the thread:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1025803

I e-mailed Mr. Sergei Marichev of AMT a couple weeks back,
    and felt the need/responsibility to report what happened,
    so here's the e-mail conversation we had:
    (I'm gonna just post the important parts)

Mr. Sergei Marichev was very polite, sincere, and most of all, quick in responding to my request.

Although it is a fact that some of us in Japan, and even some people here on TGP feel discomfort in the naming of the product, now I fully understand that Mr. Marichev and his team meant no derogatory slang in the name.

I still feel the name could be changed, but at the same time, I understand that AMT has chosen this name with good will, and I respect the fact that they have decided to keep it.

I would like to thank Mr. Marichev for his response,
    and would like to tell you all that AMT Electronics is headed by a respectable person.

I wish good luck for their business,
    enjoy playing their products!

2. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

The way I see it, if a pedal builder here named a pedal the "American Woman," no one would think twice about negative connotations.

I'm sure the same is true in Japan, or at least that's what AMT thought.

3. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

If the pedal was named "Japanese Woman" would anybody think twice? Girl is a dimunitive term used to disempower women. If you are speaking about a child, "girl" or "boy" is apporpriate, elsewhise, use "woman" or "man".

4. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Not really. Girl is more of an urban lingo, or can display affection as well.

Compare these two sentences:
    "Hey girl, how you doin'?"
    "Make me a sandwich woman"

It's the message trying to convey and the tone it sends out that seems whether it is condescending or not. Not so much on the actual term (girl vs woman) used.

The term used doesn't cause female disempowerment. It's the entire patriarchal society and mindset that has persisted is the cause for gender divide.

5. dean owens

dean owens Member

amazing what sort of world we've become.

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Here we go... :rolleyes:

I swear, people just LOOK for ways to be offended, just so they have something to rebel against. It's gotten really ridiculous. It's "Rebel Without A Cause" syndrome.

"Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?"

"Whaddaya' got?"

SO... back to reason... anyone know where (if) these can be purchased in the US yet?

8. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

Give me a F*cking break man. Im half Japanese, grew up in an asian family in Hawaii where culture is thick....no one is gonna be offended by a damned wah pedal...except by you maybe. They named it cause its petite and think its sounds pretty...how is that so wrong? Dont get your panties in a twirl over a simple name. Its not like its called Jap stomp.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

:rotflmao

Exactly. Now, a pedal called the "Hiroshima" or the "Nagasaki"... or the "Dresden" or "Pearl Harbor" or "Nanking".... those would be offensive.

10. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

Sound like great names for a fuzz box to me :crazyguy

11. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

As Artie Lange would say, Waaaaaaa.

12. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

I'm not offended nor was I intending to offend, although the irony that it offended you enough to warrant a reply isn't lost. People disagreeing with my premise though need to have their heads checked. Sexism and racism still exist, in fact, go call an elderly black man in the southern U.S. 'Boy' and see how that works out for you. Gender and race-biased noun use is predictive of a persons racial and gender views.

All that said, I don't care about a specific pedal name, but was just throwing out something to chew on.

13. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Wait, someone was seriously so offended by the fact that someone named a wah pedal "Japanese girl" that they emailed the company and asked for it to be changed?

:facepalm

I suppose I should email Strymon and ask them to change the name of their rotary pedal, since I know a guy named Lex and it's diminutive for them to reduce his being to a simple guitar pedal that people step on :LOL

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Nothing offended me. I just find it ridiculous how easily people get "offended" these days. It's laughable.

So now the "Memory BOY" should offend all black men in the southern US?

15. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

What is the term "Japanese Girl" supposed to mean? Is it slang? Somehow offensive, too?

16. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

Are we gonna change the name of the Big Muff too? And the Aqua Puss? And the...

17. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I think you have way too much time on your hands to complain about something that isn't offensive whatsoever.

I suppose you're going to email Poul Ciok next?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  18. SUPERMUFF1

SUPERMUFF1 Member

This thread was a complete waist of the 90 seconds it took to read it. EPIC FAIL!!

19. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

I applaud the OP for taking a stand for his beliefs.

The idea that he has too much time on his hands seems silly considering people regularly write manufacturers to critique other aspects of pedal design, not sure how this is any different. Whether names are offensive or not is subjective and context-dependent, though you'd have to be pretty obtuse to believe something like the Cioks power supply won't offend.

20. warioblast

warioblast Member