• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Thanks Forum, for me not getting chintzled on selling an item tonight...

cruiserman

Sounds to me like the guy with the shorts and the cocktail was interested in something other than the mountain bike

LOL.

Just the absurdity of selling to a guy in his barefeet, holding his glass of iced-beverage while trying to negotiate is what struck me. Could not have made this sale any easier for him.

Bonedance

The majority of my craiglist/offerup sales have gone on without a hitch. Like others here, the few times people have offered less than the agreed price, I have said "Nope, it's not worth it to me to sell it for that"..... Most relent and pay the agreed price, but I have had to pack up and walk away. That sort of thing pisses me off.

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
I had a forum member do that to me locally. We agreed on a more than fair “cash/no shipping “ price on an immaculate guitar. Met him in a parking lot, for no reason he hits me $20 or $25 lower. I’m not impressed but I take it. Then a few weeks later, it shows up here parted out. I don’t care if he chooses to part it out and make money, it’s his guitar now. But, I thought it was crappy to reneg the agreed price then try to make money.

sonhenry

Yeah, had that happen a bunch to. Normally the answer they get is just "no". I don't need to explain, and I'm nice abut it but I just say no and then shut up and wait. Majority of times they cave and I get what we agreed.

Only once or twice have I taken a small hit because it was still within the range of what I wanted to get and in those cases my objective is to sell something, not win a street fight...

stonem

Silver Supporting Member
Stop being nice to people at the meet up. Just business no smiles and chit chat. That helps to keep the door closed on scumbag shenanigans. We are not friends, I want your money or I wouldnt be here now pay me and leave etc. etc.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I think it's reasonable if you're bringing the item to them to say 'happy to bring it to you but as long as we're firm on the deal and you're happy paying whatever the asking price is'. I don't mind hagglers but it's not fair to make someone go out of their way only to take advantage of the situation.

Wolfgangsta

Silver Supporting Member
I sold an EMG KH loaded pickguard on CL last year. We agreed on a price before we met. As he handed over the cash, he said it was $3.00 short because he didn't think I'd want the last $3 in quarters. He was wrong, I took the sandwich baggie of quarters. I was a little miffed, but quarters spend the same as dollar bills do.

xzacx

I think it would have been worth $20 to not have to take the bike home and do this whole thing over again, but that's just me.

natmiss

Customer at my music store. " That's the same price as the internet! Can't you do any better than that?! " Always assume the guy is a price biter and ask more than you really want. That way he gets his bargain and you get what you want. Everyone's happy.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Is this whole $20 off thing normal for people to ask for? Just seems like a strange amount. Or is it related to the price. So if you are selling something for $100-200, people ask for $20 off? But if you are selling some for $1000 they ask for like $50 off or something?

cruiserman

Is this whole $20 off thing normal for people to ask for? Just seems like a strange amount. Or is it related to the price. So if you are selling something for $100-200, people ask for $20 off? But if you are selling some for $1000 they ask for like $50 off or something?
Based on just my two experiences, I think its more of a getting a jab into the seller. Or maybe I come across as so friendly that people think they can take advantage of me?

All I know is whether or not it seems cheap to walk-away without making the sale or an ineffective use of my own time, I'm not going to get pushed over like some wallflower again.

Should also be mentioned all my stuff is high-quality and high-quality stuff usually sells itself, so I haven't dealt with these situations a lot.

cheezit

Customer at my music store. " That's the same price as the internet! Can't you do any better than that?! " Always assume the guy is a price biter and ask more than you really want. That way he gets his bargain and you get what you want. Everyone's happy.
Totally! A certain kind of person can't just buy something used, they have to feel like they got a better-than-average price too. I get it, it feels good to get a deal, and building in some price padding can help, but seems like it's a slippery slope. Everyone builds $20 into their price, so the buyers know they can get it, and now they ask for $40 off.

Gclef

Hi.

I was wondering if this item is still available? I can have my agent pick it up.....

Or something like that

Guitarworks

Nothing like walking away from the buyer with an item they want to get your price. Ownership is king. Buyers pull all kinds of stunts to make you forget that. Be prepared to walk. Always.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I walk away when doing local deals and the guy comes up short. I’ve learned a while ago that if I knock the price down each time, I’m losing $$$ each time. It adds up after a bunch of deals.

Price is firm, pay what you agreed on! I do the same when buying. The buyer sets the price and if they aren’t willing to budge then I either buy it without anymore haggling or walk away.

I remember when I was selling my Dave Murray strat. The guy meets me at the local spot, then he tells me he’s a few hundred short and this that and the other. I simply get it my car and he tells me to wait....I start driving and he says he has the extra in the car. I just left. I sold it 3 days later without issue. Not dealing with that crap.

Tiger Ted

Silver Supporting Member
What's kinda funny...I would expect (at least if I was someone's girlfriend/wife) that I would look down on my husband and be disgusted with him for sending me in for this kind of dirty work. Not to mention we're not talking about $$$.

Mmmm...maybe if someone tries the "girlfriend move" on me again, I might do something inappropriate like insinuate she is prostituting herself. As long I'm not gonna get the sale anyway, might as well make it entertaining. I could make-up a "crazy story" that another time someone sent their hapless girlfriend to purchase for him and she offered herself as an exchange for the guitar (which I assume would at the very least SHAME HER into projecting that scenario onto herself).
My personal decision is that if I ever do a deal like this again and anyone other than the buyer shows up I'm gonna just walk away, no discussion, no comment.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
If the agreed up price was $100 and they offered me $20 less, I might be a bit peeved. If the agreed up price was $2000 and they offered me $20 less I'd be smiling all the way to the bank. Without the agreed upon price in either of your examples it's impossible to know who's being the jackass.

cruiserman

If the agreed up price was $100 and they offered me $20 less, I might be a bit peeved. If the agreed up price was $2000 and they offered me $20 less I'd be smiling all the way to the bank. Without the agreed upon price in either of your examples it's impossible to know who's being the jackass.
I'm probably the one being a jackass. Although everyone else seems to understand that what is being discussed is changing the terms of an agreement without warrant at the closing of a sale and not the actual dollar-amount being transacted....thanks for the insight.

I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem sending me $25 via paypal as a loan which I'll pay back to you at my earliest convenience. However, I'm sure if I send you only $20 back as paid-in-full you would accept it without reservation, right? I mean you losing $5 shouldn't be anything to even get "peeved" over.

Last edited:

blind radish

Silver Supporting Member
When I meet for a deal, I always ALWAYS say in advance.

"Just to be transparent, I do not re-negotiate the price in person. We have agreed that the buying price is XXX. You are under no pressure to buy the guitar once you inspect it. Feel free to decide not to buy."

Doing this I only occasionally encounter a jerk. When they do try to lower the price, I raise the price to purchase by the exact amount they try to lower it. So if the guitar is $400 and they say $350, I say no, but I will take $450.

M

Member 37136

Every buyer wants to think that they're a shrewd negotiator. For that reason, I always price CL items with some built-in wiggle room to accommodate the inevitable lower offer and thus allow the buyer to think he's won something. But once a price is agreed on, that's the price.

Trending Topics