Thanks to all of you Dr.Z freaks for chiming in on the "Maz VS Badger" thread.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Senor Forum, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

I'll definitely be going with the Maz 38. I had a few minutes to jam on one this morning and WOW. It was the reverb version, and it was pretty damn unreal.

I didn't have any FX with me, but it's reputation for taking effects is all I need.

The cleans were fat as hell, chimey, and VERY 3D sounding.

This was with a strat, btw.

Again, thanks all of you Dr.Z freaks!

-Alex

2. gopre29

gopre29 Member

You are welcome, You made the right Choice

3. Richeray

Richeray Supporting Member

I agree!

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

Yup, you definitely made the right choice.

As I'm sure it was mentioned in the original thread, the Maz series Dr. Zs with reverb don't have as much gain in tap as the non-reverb models do. Just a little something to keep in mind when you are finally ready to buy. Dr. Z fans are very passionate about the amps and will also be more than happy to help out with any questions you may have. It's a great group to be a member of. Check out ZTalk.

See you around,
    Bill (bilbal)

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

You wouldn't go wrong with either amp -Maz or Badger. But like Bilbal said Z owners are very passionate about the Z-line, and it's very true about how they multiply!

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

I can't try 90% of the amps I read about on this forum (not available in stores in Australia).

The Maz 38, however, would be my pick if I had to choose without trying, based on what I've read and clips that I've heard. I have actually briefly played a badger ... but I was focussing more on the guitar than the amp at the time. I recall it being a really nice tone ... but I've just got to have reverb.

7. Senor Forum

Thanks, guys! One thing that again has me a bit worried...

Someone in the other thread mentioned that I may not be able to get the amp loud enough to make the pedals SOUND good through it?

Again, I've never ran pedals like this into the front of an amp, so why would pedals sound bad if the amp was at lower volumes?

I'm not talking bedroom volume, but low enough to not piss the neighbors off (too much ;))

-Alex

8. Senor Forum

9. wire 247

wire 247 Member

As with any amp the maz sounds a little different below 9 o'clock with od pedals the compression changes at lower volumes. It really starts to shine at 9 o'clock or above. Are you a bedroom player or gigging player? If bedroom you may want the maz jr.. My maz 38 has reverb and it does stay cleaner than non reverb...

10. Senor Forum

I am 50% gigger and 50% house.

I don't need TV or whisper volume at home, but I can't break windows or anything.

Again, I don't want the amp to break up AT ALL. I want clean headroom for days.

:bow

11. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

12. hogridr

hogridr Member

You ought to swing by the Z-forum, we have several members from down under, one may be near you. Tons of sound clips and info on all the amps.

13. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

It's one of the amps on my hit list. There's one on the for sales at the moment that I would love to jump on, but I just bought the Fargen Blackbird. It was a flip of the coin choice.

Any comparisons of a the Z and a Mesa Lonestar Special?

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Then why aren't you looking at the Delta 88? Isn't that Doc's CLEANEST amp?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  15. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I had a KT-45 and it broke up beautifully. Great classic rock tones.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Sorry, I meant to say Delta 88 (which is discontinued)... THAT was Doc's cleanest amp... I've edited my previous post.

17. hogridr

hogridr Member

Of Doc's current offerings I would say the biggest cleans are from the Ray or EZG50, yes?

18. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Well, you asked.......

Eye to eye over about a six month period, I had a Maz 38 head with the 2 x 12 Z best cab and a Mesa LSS 1 x 12 combo with the 1 x 12 ext cab. I kept the LSS and sold the Z, primarily based on the wider range of tones that the LSS provides. The two channels, the ability to dial in the power seperately for each channel, the solo boost, the reverb per channel, the drive control for MORE gain on the second channel, the tone stack per channel, warm or bright reverb, thick and thicker on channel 2, the list goes on and on...... and it was SO close to the Buddy Whittington Z tone that the decision wasn't even close. I also found the Z inherently bright no matter how much I tweaked the tone controls.

BTW, the Boogie allows you to run the either channel at 5, 15, or 30 watts. That solves the whole Z 18 doesn't have enough clean headroom wherein the Z 38 is too loud before it breaks up problem. Run channel 1 at 30 watts (maximum clean headroom) but channel 2 at 15 watts (earlier breakup, plus the seperate tone stack). The 5 watt setting produces the BEST "soft, whispy" clean I've ever heard.

Quite honestly, that LSS dialed in on channel two will get REAL close to the tone that a Germino Classic 45 generates. Not quite the "thonk", but closer than it should be.

Z's are great amps and, of course, YMMV. There are a LOT of GREAT 2 EL-84 and 4 EL-84 amps out at this time. I don't think anyone can even play them all. I just hope that folks can compare as many of them as possible before pulling the trigger.

One other thing. I once ran the LSS through the Z best 2 x 12 cab. At headache volumes, it was the most amazing guitar tone I EVER produced. Half Brian May, half Angus, half SRV. Give or take. :D

Ridiculous volume.