that all tube 20watt marshall head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Jun 12, 2006.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

went into a store plugged it in with the matching 2x12 cab and i heard GOD!....
    who here uses one in a band? does it hang with a band? i have a dynamic drummer(mellow to loud)...
    i am currently using a peavey classic 50 4x10 combo with the EL84 tubes in it and i have that on roughly 6 on the volume dial.....now NON master volume amps seem to be louder than master volumes so i was wondering if that 20 watt head would do it,it seemed very loud in the store..
    if not could anyone turn me onto a 30 watt or 40 watt version by a boutique maker using the el84 tubes...i realy like that tone it has..
    cheers

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

3. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

yes,the little head,all tube,el84's..

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

dude...if you are using a 50w/410 peavey w/ the vol on 6, then your drummer needs to play a little softer...

thats LOUD!

5. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Why not build one? Lots of 18-watt kits out there. Save a lotta cash that way.

6. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Not the same IMO. Lots of the 18 watt kits sound great, but the 20 watt RI has something else going on. None of the clones I've heard got it.

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

What Mike said. The 20w amp has that plexi grunt to it, in a pint-size package. I had an original '73 and have played the RI. It's a dead-nuts copy. Well done, Jim.

The 18w amp is much more Vox chime and swirl, till it screams. Also wonderful, but different.

Heads-up, though: The LP Forum / Amps page has a number of owners reporting that the output transformers are blowing in the 18w/20w RI series. Marshall/Korg is aware.

Kiwi

8. Tread

Tread Member

I own and have owned a peavey classic 50 4/10 since bought new in ...
    I guess 1993/4 ....great amp sounds killer...but it sits in the corner since I bought my Marshall 2061x unless I'm in the Peavey mood.
    Both have their place but the 2061x just has the stuff.
    Sounds like a small version of my 1972-1986 bass head. ...yes it does!...:)

9. Tread

Tread Member

BTW...at LEAST 25% louder than my 1970 SFDR and its rated a 22 watts. :)
    ...one more thing...once you engage the MV on the peavey 4/10 your projection from the stage is dimminished allot as compared to the Marshall 20w.

10. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

thats the answer i was looking for,my projection and soundstage is just compressed to nothing,as i thought the non master vol 20w may be just as loud because its clearer,oh that tone is to die for.

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

:BEER

12. Swarty

Swarty Member

I have 2 originals and the poster that mentioned "plexi grunt" is right on the money... jump the channels and dime every thing and these things are sonic nirvana. Only downside is that if you are in a larger band with a couple of guitars and keys or horns and you have a fairly rambunctious drummer you may be wishing for a bigger amp or an additional 20w amp. Fine (or even perfect!) for a 3 piece as there is no other competition in the guitar's frequency range.

13. retrograde

retrograde Member

Heard two that were clean and chimey all the way up to 3:00 - then some minor breakup; third had smooth breakup (like a clean boost) from 9:00 on up. same speaker cab used. Possibly transformer variation? The third amp was a clear winner for us.

Geoff

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

That is the problem with these things. All things Marshall sound different....same model, probably next off the assembly table...completely different sound.

Know if anyone makes a clone of these things?

15. Swarty

Swarty Member

Any difference between 2 coming off the line at the same time can almost assuredly be attributed to tubes. I know with my old ones I will try several sets of output tubes until I hit a set that is magic.

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

That matching 2x12 cab is awesome looking too. Dyam.

17. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

I took mine to my amp guru and he has a lot of experience with the originals. What he did to mine was layer the channels so that it now has 2 gain stages and it sounds exactly like a low volume super lead.... I liked it originally and now it is a monster. The best part is it is easily reversible. He also commented that he was surprised how good a job Marshall was doing with these HW Amps....

SBS

18. rastaman

rastaman Member

You may want to watch out when saying the 2061X sounds like a SL, some folks on here feel because the circuit topography is different, that it does not sound like a SL. I highly disagree though FWIW, I think it does.

19. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

On it's own it doesn't sound like a SL to me it sounds like a small plexi IMO However after the mods (and I am no amp tech so I only know what he explained to me) it does sound remarkably like my old 73 SLs.....Way more gain and nastiness

SBS

20. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Amazing that noone does a copy of this thing too.

Or would the Germino C40 do this with 6v6's?