That crucial five minutes before you take the stage...

knuckle

Wondering where the drummer is
:roll

Yep, drummer bailed on us Saturday night.

In a band, or solo. Depends on whether the bass player and drummer bail on me, but I make sure that if needed, I can pull the whole thing off myself

This saved the night, plus the "WTF is that?" factor is cool.

Hookers and blow. Yeah, right. Pee and drink water until the last set. Then I might have a beer. Of course, make sure you're in tune. Nothing is worse than starting a night off out of tune. Other than having your Les Paul smash face first on the floor and break its' neck and not realizing why it's out of tune until the second verse of a song that you're supposed be singing and playing. Yeah, that happened to me. Luckily I had my trusty strat with me to save the day.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
OP here. Here's why I'm asking. When we play bar gigs, we're like everyone describes...peeing/washing/chatting/drinking/thanking friends for coming, etc. We all kind of take the stage at the same time. We get off to a great start, or not, whatever, and then we kind of find ourselves in our own little bubbles. We're all focused on nailing our parts, making sure the mix is good, etc., but I've noticed that my mind wanders to all kinds of stuff. I talked with the guys after our set last night, and they said they were the same way.

We're playing 90% originals, and our sets are usually short (about an hour). The fact that we're all zoned out or focused on different things while we're performing is kind of strange to me.

Fortunately we've got another gig later this week. We're going to try something different and spend a minute or so together before we go on, trying to get focused, talking about what we want to do, calling attention to trouble spots we've noticed, etc. I don't know if it will make a difference or not. I just want to be able to spend that hour+ on stage being completely into what we're doing and not wondering what the hell else is going on in the room.

weird? Maybe.

CC Overdrive

Band.

Kick the Harlots off the bus.
Piss
Slam a beer or two
Jumpy jumpy
Rock...

It usually takes me a song or two to really relax.

Ros

Platinum Supporting Member
For the five minutes before our band takes the stage I usually spend it dutifully forgetting everything I know about playing guitar...

-R.

sideman

You guys had me chuckling with several of those responses - good stuff! Yeah, wondering where the drummer went is a big one (odd, that). I'm set-up and tuned ahead of time, so I can walk on, pick up the guitar and go. The last 15-30 minutes I'm relaxing. After many years of gigging, there are no nerves and no foolishness. If it's a club gig I make sure I had dinner (or arrange for it to be waiting after the first set). If it's a gig or a band I don't care that much about, I'll be somewhere where the band leader knows I can be found, and wait for his lead. If I'm interested in the band/gig, I'll try and make sure we're on stage at or near the right time.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
'Waiting for the Drummer.'
Too funny, could be the title of my biography if I get around to it.

Endr_rpm

I just want to be able to spend that hour+ on stage being completely into what we're doing and not wondering what the hell else is going on in the room.

weird? Maybe.
WEll, you are ENTERTAINERs first and foremost, so maybe worrying about the room isn't all bad? Is the song going over? Is anyone dancing? Who isthe red head in the low cut top?

Now if you find yourself mentally scheduling root canals, then maybe you have issues :)

But it also sounds like your band has fairly tight arrangements and are devoting most bandwidth to the mechanics of playing? That'll happen.

paranoid70

OP here. Here's why I'm asking. When we play bar gigs, we're like everyone describes...peeing/washing/chatting/drinking/thanking friends for coming, etc. We all kind of take the stage at the same time. We get off to a great start, or not, whatever, and then we kind of find ourselves in our own little bubbles. We're all focused on nailing our parts, making sure the mix is good, etc., but I've noticed that my mind wanders to all kinds of stuff. I talked with the guys after our set last night, and they said they were the same way.

We're playing 90% originals, and our sets are usually short (about an hour). The fact that we're all zoned out or focused on different things while we're performing is kind of strange to me.

Fortunately we've got another gig later this week. We're going to try something different and spend a minute or so together before we go on, trying to get focused, talking about what we want to do, calling attention to trouble spots we've noticed, etc. I don't know if it will make a difference or not. I just want to be able to spend that hour+ on stage being completely into what we're doing and not wondering what the hell else is going on in the room.

weird? Maybe.
I don't know if it would make a difference or not either. Calling attention to trouble spots, etc should most likely be taken care of in rehearsal.

27sauce

Probably just finishing up in the bathroom. Either using it, or hanging with the smokers, getting some second hand satisfaction.

Trending Topics