• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

That feeling when you click on MF’s Stupid Deal of the Day ...

BeeBaa

I bought a Korg Pitchblack tuner about 6 years ago that’s still on my board. Is that stupid?
That’s great! But you’re saying you had one successful SDOTD in 2190 days. Aren’t you kind of making my point for me? Great pedal deals there are sadly rare.

sundog964

Silver Supporting Member
That's nothing compared to the Amazon day that got messed up. I ordered:

Shecter Stilletto Extreme 4 Bass - 112.94
Marshall Astoria - 112.94
PRS S2 Custom 24 - 112.94

They were all cancelled though. So sad.

embrionic

if you really want to waste some time and still not get a good deal :) isn't there someone who started a website or blog somewhere that archived every SDOTD there has ever been?

confession: several purchases over the years from MF SDOTD.

Final edit: Which is worse? Wasting time visiting MF SDOTD, or visiting gearpage.net to post about wasting time on MF SDOTD?

Last edited:

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
They used to have some great deals! You used to be able to advance a number on the link and see the coming days deals. They had Fender Fridays as well. I bought a Superchamp XD for $200.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I got a Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator once for $99. I like it!!! Some kind soul posted a PSA on TGP or I would never have known.
That reminds me. I have had some success over the past 6 or so years with effects, especially Pigtronix. Got all three of these for about half off.
- Pigtronix Resotron Filter
- Pigtronix Disnortion Micro
- Mothership 2 Analog Synth

Only other SDOTD effects deals I got were both back in 2015:
- Bogner Ecstasy Red - only marked down about 25% or so
- MXR Variphase Pedal - about 60% off; sweet deal

JDthaddeus

There are no answers, only better questions
Silver Supporting Member
I don't hang out with the cool kids enough ...... I've never heard of this "Stupid deal of the day".

In fact, I thought MF stood for....ya know...m***** f*****.... So I thought you were talking about "The mother f-ing stupid deal" which had me very intrigued!

Now I have to check it every day. I have mixed feelings about that.

JDthaddeus

There are no answers, only better questions
Silver Supporting Member
Some Tascam headphones on there today!
I actually was just shopping for new headphones so I'm going to buy them. They have mixed reviews, so I'm skeptical. But I'll risk $40.

Nevermind, they are sold out. Is this normal?

Last edited:

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
I've gotten a few things...

Pigtronix Mothership II
Quilter 101 Mini Head

Maybe more...

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
This last year has seen a few:
Quilter 101
Quilter 45
Pigtronix mini-compressor, Resotron (I already had the Mothership II and the Ringmod from previous SDOTD) all for 1/2 or a little less.
A decent ukulele for less than $50.

TedJames

That reminds me. I have had some success over the past 6 or so years with effects, especially Pigtronix. Got all three of these for about half off.
- Pigtronix Resotron Filter
- Pigtronix Disnortion Micro
- Mothership 2 Analog Synth

Only other SDOTD effects deals I got were both back in 2015:
- Bogner Ecstasy Red - only marked down about 25% or so
- MXR Variphase Pedal - about 60% off; sweet deal
What is the story with Pigtronix? Who owns them? Many years ago I had been under the impression they were a boutiquey co making solid pedals. Now they are so regularly featured on SDOTD that I wouldn’t touch one.

Or does Pigtronix simply offer insane payment terms on secured product? I.e. Pigtronix is hosting a stupid free money deal every day - and Guitar Center would be nuts not to jump on it . Seems like it’s only to GC.

CEFlint

About 10 years ago, they had a MIM Fender Tele for $350. I called them and asked if I could use a 20% off code with it and they said yes. Picked it up for $280, no tax, no delivery fee. It's the least expensive guitar I own, but still probably the one I use the most.

Last edited:

drjordan

The Tascam headphones? How do you like them?
I have a few pair of them. I wouldn't say that they are made as well as more expensive Shure or Audio Technica headphones, but mine have lasted for quite a while now, and they sound good.

I've bought several things over the years from the SDOTD: Live Wire cable tester for $16, Tascam headphones (I think I got 2 pair for $30), a Warm Audio WA-47 Jr for $200, Wampler Reverb pedal for $100, Wampler CataPulp for $100...I've got enough deals to keep checking every morning.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
What is the story with Pigtronix? Who owns them? Many years ago I had been under the impression they were a boutiquey co making solid pedals. Now they are so regularly featured on SDOTD that I wouldn’t touch one.

Or does Pigtronix simply offer insane payment terms on secured product? I.e. Pigtronix is hosting a stupid free money deal every day - and Guitar Center would be nuts not to jump on it . Seems like it’s only to GC.
I honestly have no idea what their deal is. But I will say that their pedals are very good.

I happened to be looking for a better auto Wah type pedal to replace the Lovepedal Organic Grooves, which had replaced a Lovepedal Rubber Chicken. I’m not a huge user for tha sort of effect, so I wasn’t looking to spend a lot. The Pigtronix Resonant Filter is such a better pedal that it was a no brainer. And at $80, I couldn’t resist.

Similar idea with the Mothership. I wasn’t going to go overboard on a synth type effect. Like the new Boss offerings or the Source Audio. But getting that baby for $80 too was too good.

And the Disnortion is a really unique fuzz/OD blend that I otherwise would not have bought. But it’s a killer mini pedal.

stos2

OMG. I have been checking SDOTD every day for years. It’s like a daily habit. A habit my wife hates. I like their occasional Stupid Deal Of The Hour. Really dangerous. I’ve purchased my share of gear from that site. I can’t even remember all that I bought. It’s a sickness. I wish they had SDOTD-Anonymous meetings.

xian

if you really want to waste some time and still not get a good deal :) isn't there someone who started a website or blog somewhere that archived every SDOTD there has ever been?

confession: several purchases over the years from MF SDOTD.
Started one for you

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Pigtronix is David Koltai. They've always been in that uncanny valley between boutique/handmade and mass produced, between Analogman/PaulC and JHS/Keeley/Fulltone. My guess is that the new format synth pedals are cheap enough to produce that they're able to sell at SDOTD prices and do OK, although the functionality is such that the list price of $250 isn't terrible. What does seem to be a problem to me is that they're devaluing the brand every time they do this, resulting in decreased sales the next time.

I believe David sold Supro/Pigtronix to D'Angelico, although he stays on as "Chief Technology Officer" developing amps and pedals. Supro guitars are probably gone, although it's possible D'Angelico will bring them back at some point.

BeeBaa

I believe David sold Supro/Pigtronix to D'Angelico, although he stays on as "Chief Technology Officer" developing amps and pedals. Supro guitars are probably gone, although it's possible D'Angelico will bring them back at some point.
It all makes sense now! You can get any guitar you want on the Stupid Deal of the Day as long as it’s a D'Angelico. Or a ukulele.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom