That feeling when you have nice guitar, but crappy amps/effects due to living an apartment

Balamuthia

Anyone feels this way? I have guitars that cost more than $1000 but my old $100 Line 6 broke and now I’m using a neural DSP with openback headphones, I increase the volume, so I can kinda hear it without having them on my head lol

Talk about being cheap but also I feel investing in gear kinda feels like a waste of money when you live in an apartment.

I own this apartment tho, inherited so I’m not going anywhere since everything is so expensive.

I feel any path to decent tone will be expensive, for example if i want to hear neural DSP without headphones, I would need powered speaker monitors, these are like $800-900 for decent ones and it still limits me to the computer, cause even tho they’re powered they still depend on a computer software Neural DSP

If I want to use them without a computer Id need unit like Helix, Axe, etc which all cost $1000+ FM3 is the cheapest one for 1k

Even so now Im free from having to turn on the computer, but still limited to playing around the computer as the powered speaker would be on the desk

If i buy a single powered monitor that looks like an amp they’re expensive too

Cheaper option is to get a new amp like Katana for $250-400 but the tone of these amps aint that great certainly they dont sound as good as Neural DSP lol

Ultimately, I may just do that buy a used Katana for practice, use Neural DSP for recording anything, and maybe one day buy proper gear

Last edited:

Chad11491

I used an eleven rack with an IR loader through headphones all through college and having an apartment and was happy enough. I felt the same way. I didn’t get amps again until buying a house 5y ago. I still mostly play through headphones to not wake up the kids, though lol.

I don't think you need to spend that much on monitors to get something half decent sounding. Mackie offer some decent budget stuff imo, or at least they used to. Those iLoud monitors are meant to be alright too.

Neural DSP stuff sounds great, I'd sooner spend a bit on monitors than a cheap practice amp.

pewing33ny

I'm in the same situation, really nice guitars but limited to the Quad Cortex and baby 3.5" monitors. I share my apartment with my gf and no room in my designated 4'x'5' area for my really nice monitors. I play my Friedman JJ Jr. maybe once a week when she leaves and not that loud as I respect my neighbors.

While the last 2 years have been miserable because I have no space or privacy, I have worked on making more money and doubled my salary. So I've saved a ton and now that my lease is up in a few months I have a lot more flexibility. I may rent a bigger place or even buy a single family home where I can go nuts.

It sounds like a bit of money would help you get that gear you really want, and there is a lot of part-time/temp work out there available in most of the country. Why not get a bit of that so you could proactively pursue what you really want, which seems to be better gear?

Russ73

I live in a 1 bedroom apt in NY with my fiance...I went the Quilter head with pedals routh and I have a Katana 50...my 5153 and 2x12 cab is at a music buddies house....so yeah I feel ya...

Alchemist XP

Volume is, was and always will be an elemental factor in tone. There is no escaping it.

If I was confined to a low volume only apartment with a decent budget, I'd play a Boss GT1000 paired with a powered cab of some sort. Playing through small monitor speakers is just not something I'd be inclined to ever do.

Most of my playing would probably be with headphones.

Volume is, was and always will be an elemental factor in tone. There is no escaping it.
QFT!

Most of my playing would probably be with headphones.
Yeah - this. Am I understanding correctly OP, that you have a quad cortex? If that is correct, suck it up, realize that you live in an apartment with neighbors, confine your playing there to headphones, and go buy a really good pair of them.

Otherwise, since you’re not paying for rent, if you want great amp tone, get a nice amp and go rent a practice space. Sheesh.

Dr Doom

Yeah I don't know. I live in a middle unit in a townhouse style condo, and I use two 100 watt Metropoulos amps through a 2x12 cab, a super plex and a metro plex, thanks to their 50 watt settings and great master volumes. Obviously I can't crank them but I can get good satisfying sounds out of them at low enough volume. The Metro I do have to use at it's lowest gain '66 setting though. In '68 mode it's just a little too loud at the point on the volume knob where it either sounds good or sounds like crap lol. But my point is that living in an apt doesn't mean you can't play guitar through a good sounding setup

wraub

I have a Katana 50 and find the scalable output to be super helpful when volume is a concern- although it's kind of amazing how loud .5 of a watt can be. :D

Steadfastly

Yes, it's a sort of a sour feeling, ain't it?

1656174694091.png

Last edited:

Chimpankie

I live with wife and kids so have used almost every imaginable quiet solution over the years (helix, fractal FM3, whole range of tube amps with attenuators/reactive loads including orange, victory, Blackstar and H&K, Yamaha thr, katana, Blackstar fly). Ultimately I’ve landed on the Yamaha thr for casual practice and the FM3 for longer practice sessions (particularly prepping band stuff as use the FM3 live through a power amp). I don’t sweat it anymore, most of the reason I like higher end guitars is how they feel and play anyway. Chasing perfect tone is recipe for unhappiness.

Adam Audio T7Vs are like 250 dollars a piece and sound great for all of your general computer usage needs (listening to music, playing guitar, watching shows).

Unless you have some serious, serious headphones (like Audeze level planars) you wouldn't even really be downgrading.

Are more expensive monitors better? Well sure, but more expensive headphones are also better but that doesn't mean that a nice set like a 400 series Hifi-man or a 600 series Sennheiser are unlistenable

Top Bottom