That moment when you know you shouldn't be friends with some people

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jcmark611, May 28, 2015.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

When your friend sends a text asking how long it's been since you smoked pot because he needs your urine.

You go to a party and watch three dudes enter a bathroom with a backpack.

When, at the same party, you get cornered by a guy telling you how the police dragged him out of bed for violating an EPO and how his wife stole prescription pads from a doctor's office.

Yeah, it might be time for new friends.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I went through that sort of pruning a long time ago.

These days I prune for over the top politics (either side), chronic negativity, and those friendships where, if I don't initiate, the friendship never moves.

Life is too short for lousy friends. Break out the pruning shears! Good luck with it.

MikeVB and ford like this.
  3. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I find that with a few friends I have if I looked at them on paper I'd say I'd never be friends with them, yet socially I enjoy their company. Things like questionable racial outlooks, how they are with their family, as well as the "if I did not stay in contact they'd disappear". I guess at 57 I should be more selective.

4. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

>>and those friendships where, if I don't initiate, the friendship never moves.
    Good thread. I agree with this one ^^^ and have pruned these types for years.
    My brother was like that and I dropped him a decade ago.

I recently dropped a musician friend (or so I thought). We had a weekly open mic gig as the house band. I was bringing in new songs every week to keep it fresh and bringing my A game, on time, sober, yada, yada. I take a week off to go to Cabo and come back and he had added another guitarist on top of me (not to replace me, or so he says, but just to add another member). No discussion, no input from me, just hey, we have a new band member, surprise. I finished the night and told him consider this my last night. I'm done (with the gig and him).

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

Associates who don't give you the time of day unless they want something from you.
    Associates who put you down behind your back.
    Bigots, bullys and abusive people.

6. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

Same here. I've been fortunate to have a group of friends I've known for close to 40 years, but their numbers have shrunk a bit in the past few years for just these reasons. I've found that the time is more enjoyable with the ones I still socialize with.

derekd likes this.
  7. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I organized a week long ski trip for two of my friends and two of their friends. I did everything, plane tickets, condo, car rental.

Before the week was over I knew I would be dropping them all. I liked them individually, but together they were like a non stop skinhead Tea Party convention.

derekd likes this.
  8. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

When the car (barracuda) is accelerating rapidly, travelling at over 100 mph in a 35 mph zone, crests a hill headed down and you get a little negative G thing happening. The driver is looking at you with this crazed look instead of looking at the road, that'll do it.

On another evening, speeding down a country road, 5 knuckleheads in a mom's station wagon, driver starts swerving in 20 foot sweeps, and then does a 270 degree spin in the road, dislodging two hubcaps from the passenger side. You and the other stumbling idiots search in the weeds for a half hour but the hub caps are never seen again. Come to think of it, they were probably on the other side of the road.

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

my revelation was when a friend asked me to break into his car and steal his video camera so he could make an insurance claim and get the newer version. the best part was that he wanted me to pay him some $$ for the opportunity to keep his old, outdated camera. haven't spoken to him since.

10. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I disagree. I would be a good friend and help in this circumstance

11. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

When I was younger if someone said they "needed a place to crash for a few days". Or, borrow my car.

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

had a friend who needed a job, I recommended him at a place I worked. They hired him and a few months later my boss calls me and asks, "why the guy has some of our products in his car?" I told him, "I have no idea why he would do it". My boss said, "all he had to do was ask and it was no big deal, but just taking it wasn't cool". I told him. "I was sorry and to do what you need". That ended our friendship.

13. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

When I was younger, I thought that life was a popularity contest. I had a lot of so-called friends. Little by little, I saw the reasons why these people weren't friends at all but just acquaintances.

Nowadays, I have a tight circle of friends and it's populated by a few people who are high-quality generous and kind individuals. I'd rather have that.

derekd likes this.
  14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

It is tough when you stick your neck out for someone, particularly an employment opportunity, and they piss all over it.

15. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

Was platonic friends with a woman I worked with musically. Arranged her songs, helped her through a near-suicidal depression. Gave her a lot of support but after that, she was always "busy". Only time I heard from her was when she needed something. There wasn't a particular moment, more just a creeping feeling that I had served my purpose. Washed my hands of that one.

16. gigs

gigs Member

Whatever ya do, don't loan him $10 for breakfast.

TwoTubMan likes this.
  17. jhc

jhc Senior Member

or better yet:

derekd likes this.
  18. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Ahh college. Good times.
    Best way to fix this crap- marriage. If that doesn't work- kids.
    I can't even get in trouble with my real friends anymore.

gigs likes this.
  19. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson It's Time For Action Silver Supporting Member

20. Stike

Stike Member

When they pause mid sentence and look over both shoulders before telling you something bigoted that you weren't expecting or wanting to hear.