That Pedal Show - going stale?

adolan

I kept saying how about a Cornish special (or 4 :) ) I know that they know he's the man,I forget where now but Dan gave a thumbs up to me when I mentioned bringing the Cornish gear on board.
I think maybe they dont want to blow up his spot or that if they do "feature" Cornish maybe ppl will think "Oh ok come on why ya pushing the uber $$$ pedals on us now?"... maybe they could actually do justice to the gear demos wise they could still do it, someone must be in the UK willing to lend them the Stuff.

Aceman893

So, here we are in 2021 still discussing this.

To be fair - it is that pedal SHOW. a 5 minute demo of the knobs does not a "show" make IMO.

However, I ask if we REALLY need/want and entire "Show" about pedals.

+ The do provide some really good information, and tend to be reasonably objective, and their preferences are very well known
- Damn it is a lot to wade through, and I guess being English helps....

aaronjcurtis

Silver Supporting Member
How many people every week actually kick back on the couch with a beer and watch the whole show on their TV?
I used to, with a coffee, but I don’t anymore. I learned a lot from them, but now I don’t feel that learning is continuing. Those Monday Q&As are so painful. When they answered comments from the videos that was fine, but saying thanks to “John87” from Cincinnati for his $5 is really f—king painful, at best.

blaster

I actually like their show, but wish is was a little shorter. Both Mick and Dan do a great job of reviewing effects and they encouraged me to purchase some pedals. On some of their shows I skip ahead to get to the effects that I want to hear.

ctreitzell

How many people every week actually kick back on the couch with a beer and watch the whole show on their TV?
I used to watch every Saturday morning for about 2 years
And I didn't skip through...I always watched the full hour+

I also learned a lot; getting into TPS actually ended up sending me back to Rack and I still have not purchased a pedal which modifies my guitar signal; just midi controllers and my rack has certainly grown. W/D/W also, I probably wouldn't be doing if it weren't for TPS. I am deeply grateful.

The thing TPS really misses is some motion graphics; Dan's technical explanations are helpful, yet could be much more effective with some animations. I know motion gfx aren't cheap and I'm asking for a lot, there.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I understand where you’re coming from, but right now a lot of people are looking for and are comforted when we see others express how they’re feeling vulnerable. It makes the connection more human. Do I love it when they nerd out on gear? Absolutely. But **** is crazy right now, and the folks in the UK are going through hell. The new covid variant has completely crippled their society to the point where basically everything is shut down. It’s scary, and a lot of people are dying.

So I, for one, begrudge them nothing for sharing these thoughts—in fact, I welcome it. They’ll get back to nerding out when this is in our rear view mirror. Until then, I’ll be grateful that they’re ok, and hope that everyone makes it out ok, as well.
There are a lot of communities cripple because of Covid. I don't have a problem with Mick sharing his personal battle, but as I said, they at times starve for content.

Boogyin1979

Silver Supporting Member
I think they are genuine in their approach and although they have their favourite brands, refreshingly honest (more Mick) in their opinions.

No one saw COVID coming. They likely feel a responsibility to the audience that built them and are doing the best they can to give people a break from the drudgery of lockdown. They are getting pretty burnt though. I enjoy every episode and think they have some big name folks lined up when it is safe to do so. Those are my favourite episodes.

If they took a break and went to one a month for a bit, I wouldn’t cry over it. I imagine Dan also feels somewhat compelled to churn them out as it seems to be Mick’s main gig where Dan has other ventures. Maybe Mick does too: I’m just guessing.

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
Why do so many of you keep talking about 'reviews'?

They don't 'review'.

They're not a 'review' show.
I’ve enjoyed their “Pick’n’Mix” episodes... which, I’m pretty sure, are what is meant by many as “reviews”. In fact, D&M have 41 videos listed under a Playlist entitled, “Pick’n’Mix - New Pedals to Check Out”.

Etc.

Etc.

So... “They don’t ‘review’”??? I guess I don’t get it.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe Mick does too: I’m just guessing.
IIRC Mick has stated in the past that he and his wife have a business, which is one of the reasons why they moved to their current location (they run their business from that office).

No idea what the business is.

I’ve enjoyed their “Pick’n’Mix” episodes... which, I’m pretty sure, are what is meant by many as “reviews”. In fact, D&M have 41 videos listed under a Playlist entitled, “Pick’n’Mix - New Pedals to Check Out”.

Etc.

Etc.

So... “They don’t ‘review’”??? I guess I don’t get it.
I'm referring to the 'main' show. Not the Monday or Tuesday things.

They've even stated themselves on the show that they're not 'reviewers'.

Ry@n

I used to, with a coffee, but I don’t anymore. I learned a lot from them, but now I don’t feel that learning is continuing. Those Monday Q&As are so painful. When they answered comments from the videos that was fine, but saying thanks to “John87” from Cincinnati for his $5 is really f—king painful, at best.
The three seconds acknowledging somebody who makes a donation is really that painful?

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Like many things they come off like they’ve had good success but now can’t get over themselves...it all becomes a little too ‘cute’ and more about ‘them’ vs the very subject they began with

Silkrodamus

I stopped wasting a lot of time on pedal shows like this and started watchin' Home Skoolin' with Tom Bucovac cause it makes me wanna pick up my guitar and practice more. Now I find myself actually just diving deeper into the pedals I actually already own and tuning them in better to suit what I'm playing instead of endlessly pursuing pedals.

If I wanna find out about what pedals are out there, I just come here. YouTube Demos have never really helped too much with pedal selection. Too many variables when it comes to watching YouTube videos....no real way of telling what will sound good through my rig.

Trending Topics