That Pedal Show - going stale?

LawrenceBr

While I agree it’s pointless to argue about different preferences, let’s be real: the thesis of the thread is that the show is stale. Which is a valid point, and should make no judgment about people who want to watch it.

If a band that you liked put out the same album for 10 years straight, and someone called them out on that, what’s so indecent about that? No one is calling these guys names or saying they should be banned from youtube.

After all, this is a discussion forum and just like people can choose to watch/not watch the show, you can choose to discuss the merits of this show or not.
Absolutely! I fully agree. My comment is aimed at those who aren't actually sticking to this thesis. A lot of people on this thread are expressing how they don't like the show, fine. But I also see people commenting on the characters of Dan and Mick. I just hate to see that (to people in general).

There is a difference between saying: I think they have too many tangents and lean too much towards their own preferences, and saying: they are corksniffers who don't know what they're are talking about, have fake laughs, etc. (summing up several comments here).

I don't care if people like the show or not. Or if they like Dan and Mick for that matter. I would just like to see people expressing that in a constructive, decent way.

monty

I love those guys, but the Q &A's tend to trod over the same ground. I miss when they'd run through 4 new pedals in an hour.

On a semi-related note, Dan's former band The Tin Spirits was great. Love the chorus of this tune.

Gave that a couple spins last night- really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing. Killer chorus and the tone on the solo was awesome!

MothAttack

I loved That Pedal Show until the last 4-5 episodes; I've started to tire of the format and I'm finding the quietly snobbish attitude to the cheaper pedal brands they allow on the show a bit irritating.

What do you guys make of the show lately?
I’ve always had a difficult time watching that show. Its way longer than it needs to be. They both seem pretty cool but, there’s too much banter, when I’d rather they just get to the point.

Redsunmack

Silver Supporting Member
It'll never cease to amaze me how much gets lost in interpretation online.

Say you don't like something, have some critique, and people act like you're showing up at their houses with pitchforks.
100% This makes no sense to me. Someone doesn’t have the same opinion ignore it and move on. I personally love the show and all the stupid ******** they tangent about. That’s just me. And I can also see your point of view of not needing a hour to do a pedal show and how you would think they would know more. Social media has ruined criticism imo

Thoughtpolice

While I agree it’s pointless to argue about different preferences, let’s be real: the thesis of the thread is that the show is stale. Which is a valid point, and should make no judgment about people who want to watch it.

If a band that you liked put out the same album for 10 years straight, and someone called them out on that, what’s so indecent about that? No one is calling these guys names or saying they should be banned from youtube.

After all, this is a discussion forum and just like people can choose to watch/not watch the show, you can choose to discuss the merits of this show or not.
Lol, there are many bands, quite popular at that, that have put out the same album for 10 years.

ultrasun

What went stale a long time ago is all these demos from people trying to sell you something. So that every single pedal, guitar or amp is sooooo amazing.
Tps is just two guys that take time to talk about gear and consider issues that comes with trying to get a good tone. What’s more important than that ? Some of the things they say are game changers, you’re actually learning something. This is way more important than knowing what the latest Strymon sounds like.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Jeezes, what a toxic thread. Let's take a few of you guys, dig through your work output the past 10 years, and have a public trial. Have some decency.

To be fair, I am sure many here don’t create work product with the express intent of public consumption and publish it on a mass media platform - nor do they further their success by how much of the public consumes it…

These guys do - so, I don’t necessarily think sharing negative opinions (on a discussion forum) on their published content is ‘toxic’.

Sharing opinions isn’t any sort of ‘trial’

Last edited:

MoetJeBoom

What went stale a long time ago is all these demos from people trying to sell you something. So that every single pedal, guitar or amp is sooooo amazing.
Tps is just two guys that take time to talk about gear and consider issues that comes with trying to get a good tone. What’s more important than that ? Some of the things they say are game changers, you’re actually learning something. This is way more important than knowing what the latest Strymon sounds like.

Nicely put.
I’m sounding old but; it seems every one wants what they want and they want it now. All this complaining about it taking long… Thats exactly what it’s about. Also liked some comments about the decency. Attacking mick and dan for who they are. Talking about Snobbery, that they don’t know **** etc.. so lame.. trollz who themselves got jackshit experience beside their bedroom playing imo. It’s a free show in the utubez, go practice guitar.

I have a hard time sitting through an entire episode.
They seem like nice fellows who are knowledgeable about gear and sound. What they don’t do, however, is begin each episode with a thesis, as opposed to a topic. I don’t have the patience to listen to them banter for a half hour or so until they figure out what point they are trying to demonstrate.
Then again, I read and evaluated essays for a living for many years. Lack of structure irks me to no end. Ymmv

MothAttack

I have a hard time sitting through an entire episode.
They seem like nice fellows who are knowledgeable about gear and sound. What they don’t do, however, is begin each episode with a thesis, as opposed to a topic. I don’t have the patience to listen to them banter for a half hour or so until they figure out what point they are trying to demonstrate.
Then again, I read and evaluated essays for a living for many years. Lack of structure irks me to no end. Ymmv
“Lack of structure.” Nailed it.

gibson3798

I’d enjoy shorter episodes.

They’re entertaining, the subject matter is of interest and they introduce ideas that most people would like explored and broken down.

Not everyone will like them, or what they do, or how they do it.

FWIW, I find the JHS show much more entertaining. Shorter episodes interspersed with fun little jams using different pedals. And it seems more genuine in that Josh isn’t afraid to praise a $50 pedal.

I got really into TPS when I first fell in love with pedals but then completely burned out on the show. I think they need to reevaluate and mix it up with something different. But just my opinion, man.

I don't like them making poor-spitting faces (mick that's mostly you) when they try cheap\digital stuff (yes TPS we know 900$ pedals are built better than 50$ ones). However, they have an invaluable library of deep-dives into effects where Dan explains how each pedal works, and that can make the difference in understanding what features to look for, what tonal profiles and how they pair with your guitar\amp. In that matter, they helped me clear my mind when I needed to buy X or needed to build knowledge from 0. However, I can hardly follow them as "YouTubers".

They have a place in the community just for being a video library of excellent knowledge... most of the time.

As a shrink, there's also a thing that bothered me. One of the guys sometimes talked about his struggles with depression and always tried to normalize the idea that it's a condition that can get us all and if it comes to that we should ask for help and be open about it. Yea fantastic, I deeply support that, too bad sometimes out of his mouth some low-tier self-help books are named as if they have the key to mental hygiene.

Last edited:

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Love the show, look forward to it every week, have probably seen every show back 6 or 7 years and many of the ones from before that. I really like the format and Mick and Dan seem like great guys.

They went to shorter shows for a bit and I hated it. I'm not always interested topically but enjoy watching those shows none the less.

While they may have already knocked off some of the more grand ideas, there's always gonna be a good enough reason for a show and that's good enough for me. I say, rock on Mick, rock on Dan!

I have to say i like their monday Viewers Comments and Questions better than the "real episodes" but thats probably because im not too involved in pedals anymore. I also like Dipped in Tone for the chats.

Snufkinoob

I don't like them making poor-spitting faces (mick that's mostly you) when they try cheap\digital stuff (yes TPS we know 900$ pedals are built better than 50$ ones). However, they have an invaluable library of deep-dives into effects where Dan explains how each pedal works, and that can make the difference in understanding what features to look for, what tonal profiles and how they pair with your guitar\amp. In that matter, they helped me clear my mind when I needed to buy X or needed to build knowledge from 0. However, I can hardly follow them as "YouTubers".

They have a place in the community just for being a video library of excellent knowledge... most of the time.

As a shrink, there's also a thing that bothered me. One of the guys sometimes talked about his struggles with depression and always tried to normalize the idea that it's a condition that can get us all and if it comes to that we should ask for help and be open about it. Yea fantastic, I deeply support that, too bad sometimes out of his mouth some low-tier self-help books are named as if they have the key to mental hygiene.

As a non shrink, I find it sad that a professional such as yourself makes light of someone's honesty about depression by making poor-spitting faces at the books they mention, like they are the cheap/digital books of the self-help world. If you know of better books out there, then send him a message suggesting them.

:console

As a non shrink, I find it sad that a professional such as yourself makes light of someone's honesty about depression by making poor-spitting faces at the books they mention, like they are the cheap/digital books of the self-help world. If you know of better books out there, then send him a message suggesting them.

:console

That's not what's written in my post. I clearly wrote that I support him being open about depression and pushing others to be open about it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom