That Pedal Show - going stale?

petty1818

Jeezes, what a toxic thread. Let's take a few of you guys, dig through your work output the past 10 years, and have a public trial. Have some decency.

That’s a bit much lol. Criticism is not “toxic”. Let’s not make this out to be more than it is, which is a general discussion about the show becoming stale. If you don’t like this type of discussion then TGP might be the wrong place for you… I mean that as a joke of course, it just gets critical around here at times.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
I still like the show and the presenters. I, personally have burned out on pedal content in general, though. My board is full, I’ve tried just about everything I have had interest in, and there just isn’t much more to inspire me.

Fine by me I’d they have their prejudices and biases. That’s part of the character of the show. They know what they like, and that also sorta ensures they are better-equipped/informed to discuss those items. I don’t need to tune into a blues guy talking about a metal pedal. Better that they don’t try to be all things to all people.

I have no issues with the length of their usual episodes, but I do not have the inclination to indulge in two-hour Q&A episodes without topic time stamps. That’s a feature I like on Phil McKnight’s channel—I appreciate being able to directly identify and locate questions and topics i want to hear about. I’m not going to sit through two hours of talk by anyone.

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
I still can not believe that they are in the UK, film in the UK and have not done an episode on Pete Cornish yet!
I think either they don't want to blow up his spot, or they think no one will care or idk what but c'mon, Pete is the man and deserves a whole episode at least! (one of them agreed they should do an episode in the comments or here at some point when I mentioned it but alas to my knowledge it hasn't happened), maybe they are afraid that ppl will realize Pete really is the man and no one will tune in again once they get their dirt sorted... haha, I know I ain't looking anymore since a long time now.

Tbh I have not watched an episode of them in a few years, I got enough pedals to keep me busy and jsut being here I will find out what is new and popping and the FOMO and GAS etc has dissipated since I got my board sorted.

I am on some synth mission that is far more dangerous than pedals...be warned, wanna save money stay on pedals....

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I still can not believe that they are in the UK, film in the UK and have not done an episode on Pete Cornish yet!
I think either they don't want to blow up his spot, or they think no one will care or idk what but c'mon, Pete is the man and deserves a whole episode at least! (one of them agreed they should do an episode in the comments or here at some point when I mentioned it but alas to my knowledge it hasn't happened), maybe they are afraid that ppl will realize Pete really is the man and no one will tune in again once they get their dirt sorted... haha, I know I ain't looking anymore since a long time now.

Tbh I have not watched an episode of them in a few years, I got enough pedals to keep me busy and jsut being here I will find out what is new and popping and the FOMO and GAS etc has dissipated since I got my board sorted.

I am on some synth mission that is far more dangerous than pedals...be warned, wanna save money stay on pedals....

I think it's more that Mr. Cornish wouldn't do something like that.

burgersalad12

In their latest Q and A, they basically implied that they are on the same level as "famous" people after spending so much time around them and don't fanboy out - lol good one boys.

Its cringe beyond belief.

The proof is in the pudding - Fake laughing/Dad tier banter, The repetitive licks are complete rubbish, however their inflated sense of worth is just as bad. Making edgy and bold statements about circuit integrity then bringing out a signature pedal of copied circuits...I could go on for hours.

If they on the slight off chance can convince someone who is an actual credible musician to do a video (Neil Finn - although he looked uncomfortable the whole time - no doubt Liam and himself will have some brand new free GigRig units on the way to NZ for their troubles), the channel might possibly be able to stay afloat - however its glaringly obvious that well of connections and people who arent Joey Landreth (who they are friends with by the way, how did you not know this already?!!) has dried up/is non existent and id say long term the boys are in big trouble and they know this all too well.

Geographically they are surrounded closely by some of the greatest guitarists and tone creators of all time and have managed to get a grand total of 3 (Ed O Brian, Graham Coxon and Dave Gregory) on the show. Hell even Dick Beato has had Brian May on his channel.

Last edited:

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Wow. I’ve skimmed through this out of boredom and can’t pick a side with either the polite complimentary group, or the harshly critical. I find myself in agreement with both.

david57strat

I've never gleaned any kind of snobby attitude from their videos. There's usually some very useful information to be learned from a viewing.

I almost peed myself laughing, when they did the Korg Miku video. It was hilarious.

Stu James

I don't like them making poor-spitting faces (mick that's mostly you) when they try cheap\digital stuff (yes TPS we know 900$ pedals are built better than 50$ ones). However, they have an invaluable library of deep-dives into effects where Dan explains how each pedal works, and that can make the difference in understanding what features to look for, what tonal profiles and how they pair with your guitar\amp. In that matter, they helped me clear my mind when I needed to buy X or needed to build knowledge from 0. However, I can hardly follow them as "YouTubers".

They have a place in the community just for being a video library of excellent knowledge... most of the time.

As a shrink, there's also a thing that bothered me. One of the guys sometimes talked about his struggles with depression and always tried to normalize the idea that it's a condition that can get us all and if it comes to that we should ask for help and be open about it. Yea fantastic, I deeply support that, too bad sometimes out of his mouth some low-tier self-help books are named as if they have the key to mental hygiene.
I would not like to have you as a shrink. I think the books Mick mentioned are accessible and readable for the average punter. I’ve read them and thought they were good.

LaXu

Apparently TPS has been "going stale" since 2016 based on this thread.

I think they have a good variety of content. I don't watch everything and I don't care for the live Q&A stuff, mostly because I don't have anything particularly useful to ask them and don't care for that format. I watch their regular shows more like podcasts, doing something else at the same time.

I get that the format does not work for everyone as they talk a lot. I like their insight but with YT's chapters features it's pretty easy to jump to the playing if you just want to hear the gear.

With TPS having been "on air" for so many years now, it probably gets increasingly tiring for them to do the show as well. I know after the sheer amount of pedals they've tried I would be a bit jaded about trying even more as manufacturers push out a half dozen new pedals that don't do anything that unique. It becomes "yup, this sounds good" and "yeah, that's good too".

If I have to criticize them, it's with their handling of digital pedals. They don't take the time to really understand them, they don't take the time to use them in a setup they work best. I think they would do well to get a guest on the show who knows how to work this stuff and show them how good digital gear can be. It probably won't change their mind as they are averse to anything with complexity in the pedal itself despite using one of the more complex switching systems out there.

StevenC

They've repeatedly conceded that they mishandled the no amp episode, and before they made it they repeatedly warned that they'd never do it justice. A lot of people would do well to remember they're watching Dan and Mick give Dan and Mick's opinion based on Dan and Mick's experience.

In the past they've had on different people with different expertise for various shows (Dave Gregory for 12 strings, Rabea for heavier tones, whatshisname from that forgettable Scottish band for the Metal Zone). They expressed interest in doing this for modelers.

Let's not pretend that they go around saying digital rigs are inherently bad and no one can possibly get good tone from them.

As to the Monday Q&As. Of course they suck. They have enough viewers that they can only do superchats, and the only people doing that are TGP blues dads asking the same boring questions they ask here, and predictably getting the same boring answers.

(That said I asked for Buzzaround maker recommendations once in chat and someone else in the chat pointed me to Expresso, for which I am eternally grateful and significantly poorer.)

Tonally and musically, I have way more in common with Rabea or Ola but neither of them produce insightful content that's about anything other than "here's what turned up in the post".

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Platinum Supporting Member
I think the show is useful and positive. There is far too much negativity in the overall media ecosystem…

I find the wide variety of amps and pedals used to be helpful…and while I’ve learned some things I don’t really watch for that. I enjoy the community, the notion of finding your own sound and that there are others out there doing the same—making mistakes, having hang ups, even willfully ignoring the times when they sound best. I like it that they are human.

They did not say they are at the same level as famous people—they said after having interacted with many famous people that they’ve figured out it’s not cool to make a fuss…and then they admitted to making a fuss and fools of themselves!

As for being an advertisement for Dan’s switchers, there may be an element to that…I bought one and my rig has never sounded better. The control I have now over signal path and noise is exactly what I needed.

Plus, I discovered them during the pandemic lockdown in the US. I appreciated what felt like a link to the outside world at the time. I’d like to see them spread their wings a bit but they have been hampered by Covid restrictions and are clearly doing the best they can.

Telejester

I really hate the artist profile shows they do. I usually have zero idea who they are and have no interest. The ones which are more amp focussed are the ones I like.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Platinum Supporting Member
They've repeatedly conceded that they mishandled the no amp episode, and before they made it they repeatedly warned that they'd never do it justice. A lot of people would do well to remember they're watching Dan and Mick give Dan and Mick's opinion based on Dan and Mick's experience.

In the past they've had on different people with different expertise for various shows (Dave Gregory for 12 strings, Rabea for heavier tones, whatshisname from that forgettable Scottish band for the Metal Zone). They expressed interest in doing this for modelers.

Let's not pretend that they go around saying digital rigs are inherently bad and no one can possibly get good tone from them.

As to the Monday Q&As. Of course they suck. They have enough viewers that they can only do superchats, and the only people doing that are TGP blues dads asking the same boring questions they ask here, and predictably getting the same boring answers.

(That said I asked for Buzzaround maker recommendations once in chat and someone else in the chat pointed me to Expresso, for which I am eternally grateful and significantly poorer.)

Tonally and musically, I have way more in common with Rabea or Ola but neither of them produce insightful content that's about anything other than "here's what turned up in the post".
They do need to realize that there is a massive market for ampless rigs. They need to do it justice because there are players with young kids, apartment dwellers, daysleepers, you name it. Low volume to no volume options are vital. In this regard they truly need to read the room and also not underestimate the creative opportunities posed by ampless rigs.

StevenC

They do need to realize that there is a massive market for ampless rigs. They need to do it justice because there are players with young kids, apartment dwellers, daysleepers, you name it. Low volume to no volume options are vital. In this regard they truly need to read the room and also not underestimate the creative opportunities posed by ampless rigs.
Sure, but does F1 need to realise there is a huge market for basketball and get Lewis Hamilton to park and sink a 3 pointer every lap? They can be separate entities.

If Dan and Mick can clearly say "we can't do these rigs justice because we don't enjoy playing them" then viewers should be able to accept that Dan and Mick aren't the opinions to be seeking. If I want to know what I should buy between an FM3, Helix, QC, or GT1000 I will ask people who willfully play those rigs.

Paul Conway

It's just a YouTube show. I'm generally ambivalent about it.

However, I do wonder if the oncoming financial storm (which of course is going to give the MI industry a good kicking, being largely driven by discretionary purchases) will affect shows such as this one.

Pound is at historic lows Vs USD. Inflation rampant. Energy costs more than doubling. Petrol and diesel prices up 50% or more. Food costs shooting up. Further pressures coming.

I suspect that in light of that little lot, the market for £300 effects pedals will shrink.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom