That Pedal Show - going stale?

It's just a YouTube show. I'm generally ambivalent about it.

However, I do wonder if the oncoming financial storm (which of course is going to give the MI industry a good kicking, being largely driven by discretionary purchases) will affect shows such as this one.

Pound is at historic lows Vs USD. Inflation rampant. Energy costs more than doubling. Petrol and diesel prices up 50% or more. Food costs shooting up. Further pressures coming.

I suspect that in light of that little lot, the market for £300 effects pedals will shrink.

I also think most boutique pedals are going to go up in prices, to compensate for a shrinking market and\or because components price rising

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
I dip in and out watching the show for many of the reasons stated, but generally speaking I think it’s a great free resource if the topic is something I’m interested in or if I’m just looking for guitar based content to pass the time.

One thing I am surprised though is that they haven’t attempted to branch out, maybe like Andertons, and bring in a different or rotating set of hosts for styles/genres beyond their own. They could have a new weekly series by a younger dude into heavier or ambient genres to cover affects and setups outside of their comfort zone, but in the same general format.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure what their analytics are saying but I've been watching for years and they are primarily responsible for my knowledge of pedals and amps and getting the sounds I want. Heck, I've even made a bit of cash putting together boards for a few area musicians based on that knowledge, which is good because I need the money for pedals and amps....
Anyway, I still tune in once a week or so and still get something out of the episodes. I could see some branching out to different areas but I'm sure they are considering things like that all the time.

Ricky A

Since they started peppering shows with condescending political comments a few years back,I've barely watched...a shame, since I used to love that show and looked forward to every episode

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
Tough crowd, lol. I find that they seem likeable and that most importantly, they are having fun. Do they play the music I like? No. Do they use the gear I like? Sometimes. Do I still find it informative and fun? Yes.

They are kind of like the Seinfeld of guitar YouTube channels and I’m here for it. I appreciate what they are doing. This also means some people won’t like it, and that’s totally fine — just like some people don’t like Seinfeld.

mvsr990

Silver Supporting Member
Whenever one pops up in my recommendations I bounce around it if there's an interesting-looking pedal and then dip out. Bless them for time stamping everything.

They're not for me - the Big Muff/"""shoegaze""" episode was about as close to the kind of music I like as they've gotten and it was a goof - feel like they could get a lot of mileage out of more episodes moving away from their comfort zone but their audience (and they) seem content with what they're doing so good for them.

petty1818

Whenever one pops up in my recommendations I bounce around it if there's an interesting-looking pedal and then dip out. Bless them for time stamping everything.

They're not for me - the Big Muff/"""shoegaze""" episode was about as close to the kind of music I like as they've gotten and it was a goof - feel like they could get a lot of mileage out of more episodes moving away from their comfort zone but their audience (and they) seem content with what they're doing so good for them.

Yes, I will give them that! The time stamps are very helpful. I too find that whenever they do have something interesting on, I just go to that part in the video and listen/watch.

gretschplayer

I don't recall ever seeing their shows, but a lot of videos look like they're 1-2 hours. That's absurd for a video about a guitar pedal.

NWG

My 2 cents as a relative newcomer to trying to learn about electric guitars / amps / effects and the like (and apologies if this has been said already!) - I have to say that their show is a brilliant resource. If I ever met them in real life, I would ask that they did 2 versions of their videos - one for fans who enjoy the banter and the lengthier approach and another shorter one that is the equivalent of a 'highlights reel'. The latter would not need to be filmed differently - would just be their social media person 'editing' the bigger video. Much as I really want to, it's honestly just hard to carve out so much time for this stuff when you're juggling a job and family in today's world. And feels doable from the show's perspective to achieve this. I have tried timestamps but in my mind, that only gets you so far....

Maybe I am in the minority asking for the above but I assume their analytics will show them how many viewers actually watch the videos cover to cover. Would be interesting to know that %. I think that in one of the Andertons' videos, they joked about how only 2% of viewers reached the end. Sure, you need to discount the stats a bit because someone will watch it in pieces sometimes, etc. but I'd be surprised if they have a high hit rate on 100% completion

Its still a good show, but the episodes keep getting longer and longer. The problem is that embedded in the episode is a golden nugget of information. But I don't want to sit through 45 minutes to get that golden nugget.

But I do love the show, and they have proven that most of the opinions and advice on TGP are not informative nor helpful.
That's where the timestamps can come in handy. I typically enjoy their videos; they're informative and I like Dan and Mick's rapport. Of course, sometimes they have videos I couldn't care less about in which case I simply don't watch them.

chromewaves

yeah I think the shoegaze episode was the first one of theirs I watched and they were so painfully out of their comfort zone it was sad. but I like the hosts, and their episodes with Graham Coxon from Blur and Dave Gregory from XTC were just wonderful and totally in my wheelhouse.

Chiefsfan15

I used to watch it, but I don't know how much duplicative pedal content most people can take. Pedals today are so derivative of a few staid designs that there just isn't any use for so much video production.

Granted, some innovation has come in the new century in the shape of Eventide and Strymon, those pushing the capability and functionality that can be fit into a single box. Things like the TimeFactor, TimeLine, Mobius, etc have legitimately changed music. Modulation and Time-Based effects have gotten better in the last 20 years, but I'm not sure about the last 10. A video about the latest marshall in a box or A/Bing mid-heavy overdrives and RAT clones is not compelling viewing.

Nearly all the pedals getting reviewed on youtube these days are footnotes to designs from the 80s and 90s. Once you've seen a lot of it you don't need to see anymore.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom