That pedal show influences pedal sales?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bach1970, Jul 7, 2018.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Paid demos—what matters is the demo. Yeah, they’re trying to show off the good points of a pedal. Thats not bad. That’s what I’m gonna try to do too, when I get a pedal. The problem if there is one is the limitations of hearing them over YouTube, not he fact that a good player is being paid to be a good player.

They aren’t reviews. I don’t generally care what anyone says about a pedal in a review, it’s like, just their opinion man. Though you can become familiar with, say, the TPS guys and develop a feel for how their opinions mesh with your own. And back and forth discussion on TGP is a little different, and in my view potentially more valuable, because you can ask questions and get an idea where others are coming from, as long as you exercise some judgement..

HERSCHEL, friend33, Matt Rain and 2 others like this.
  2. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

Things I learned from TPS:

I needed a Treble Booster. They were right. Naga Viper(not on the show), not Beano Boost (constantly on the show).

Tubescreamers. For all the time they spend on Tubscreamers I'm totally convinced that is not a sound I want.

Vintage gear is an expensive, noisy, inconvenient, tempermental pain in the ass.

Try something different.

3. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Agreed. TPS is pretty good about not being negative; they're not really reviewers, they just demo stuff. They leave judgement up to the viewer. For example, in the case of the Mobius, they showed (me, anyway) that the original pedals sound better than the Mobius' attempts at simulating them.

4. Blackguard13

Blackguard13 Member

This is exactly what came to mind for me. It steered me away from the mobius and toward a vintage phase 90 (My new favorite pedal).

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  5. Nota

Nota Member

With most Adblockers now, you can selectively hide elements of the page so you never see that "pane" or section again. For instance, this is Sweetwater's (horribly bloated) site while browsing for electric guitars:

[​IMG]

Here it is with my adblocker and some generous element hiding. This is the way I like it:

[​IMG]

I do this to sites I frequent, neuter and mangle them horribly :)

Also, here is a list of all the javascripts that Sweetwater loads in your browser by default. They track your every move and collect information, what you click on, etc, and use it to advertise to you. You can see that many third-party sites get their own scripts loading. I also block these by default and enable only what I need to see the content or use the store function. This not only frees up bandwidth and makes pages load faster, it's more private.

[​IMG]

Edit: Sorry for the extremely off-topic post, I love this stuff.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

I’d take that one step further and say they’re not just demo guys, they’re educators. They have boatloads of experience helping artists develop a rig, they know the broad principles on capturing classic tones well, and have fingers to the pulse of the music instrument industry. Even if I never buy a Beano Boost, I know running a treble booster into a cooking valve makes for righteous noise.

It’s not necessarily that the audience need to go out and buy the thing they play most, it’s merely to inspire good questions about how to get that “sound in your head”. And I have to admit I’ve learned far more interesting and useable creative strategies watching TPS than I have reading TGP...

TPS inspires me to create more and get the best out of what I have. TGP just tells me all my gear choices are terrible.

7. Brettski

Brettski Member

I bought a blues driver after about 20 years of wondering what everyone saw in them after an episode of tps. I'm highly glad I did too. I also got on the wait list for a King of Tone because of those guys but the jury's still out on that one for me. 19 months in. Only another six or so to go.

taken likes this.
  8. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Member

That was a standout episode for sure. That old Tele (or was it an Esquire?) sounded stupid good.

I’ve watched most of TPS since the beginning, great way to keep up with what’s out there when you don’t have the time to go to the store and give all these newer pedals a spin. Dan’s explanations are hugely informative.

I’m afraid they’ll run out of ideas soon though. There’s only so many flanger roundups one can do.

9. White Limo

White Limo Member

TPS has given me a lot of valuable information on how to use certain pedals, and why different pedals sound so different going into clean amps, mid rangey amps, dirty amps, and so on. I also learned a lot about EQ. Their ability easily put pedals into different amps, play them with different guitars, change the order around, etc is really valuable.

I assume they’re paid for what they do because they’ve never said otherwise, and I’m not into the boutique or vintage thing anyways so I don’t buy the specific stuff they use, but they seem like nice guys.

10. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Member

Pretty sure they only pull in YouTube money. It was alluded recently that Mick is now able to pay himself a salary off of that.

Sponsored vids are usually painfully obvious.

11. Sethian

Sethian Member

I'm pretty sure they're sponsored. ;)

12. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I’m a fan. Enough that I’m willing to support them (as well as the Guitar Nerds) on Patreon.

I’ve bought a number of pedals after hearing them there.

conanb likes this.
  13. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Yup, ended up with a Phase 95, and am very happy with it.

Very well put.

14. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Member

If that’s the case, they’re doing it the right way IMO.

Blackguard13 likes this.
  15. 6AM

6AM Member

Marketing 101, exposure increases sales. I'm not sure how this is surprising to anyone.

16. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Sponsored videos are painfully obvious because I believe they're supposed to state as such. Isn't that a rule now?

conanb and rydogg_sc2 like this.
  17. p.j.

p.j. Member

I find them entertaining but tend to be influenced by whackier stuff.

18. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

To be honest, I find it as dull as ditch water, and haven’t made it through a single episode. I’ve never bought a pedal they have demo’d and I find it pretty difficult to locate anything I’m interested in amongst all of the static so I never look them up when I’m looking for info on a particular pedal.

This. I wonder if the viewing figures include people just watching a few minutes of it?

Agree/disagree. They aren’t negative because if they were they would lose chunks of their audience. I never saw their episode which was wasn’t positive about the Source Audio Nemesis, but the outrage on here made TPS withdraw that show.

I also think we overestimate their coverage - I know players who never look at reviews on YouTube and I reckon the Boss-buying guitarists who never see TGP or TPS far outnumber those of us who do.

Anacharsis, Sethian and Mr_Derp like this.
  19. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I enjoyed their earlier episodes where they were looking at a given effect type and exploring the sounds of some of the options. Then they ran out of effect types they hadn't done, and the good episodes got fewer and further between.

By far the best vid I've seen from them this year is the one where they spend time working on vocal harmonies with Mary Spender. It showed a useful process, with bumps along the way, and was something much more helpful for anyone that wants to get into the music industry.

Stratburst70 and haslar like this.
  20. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I discovered TPS in June 2017 and watched a lot of eps. I still keep up and do watch full eps. I wanted a flanger and that is how I found TPS. TPS inspired me to dive into the gear I already have. I taught myself all kinds of things I didn’t previously have a great grasp of; mainly midi with rack gear and computers which I hadn’t really gotten too in depth with before June 2017.

I demo’d an Orbit and Mobius for flanger, but didn’t buy either. If anything, Mick and Dan inspired me to gas over an H8000FW and PCM91 because I found myself frequenting TGP Rack Space . Of all the things they share, I am more interested in the G2.

thatguyoverthere and Matt Rain like this.