That Pedal Show - Playing at home volume...

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
There are approximately 6,247 ways to sound decent at low volume. Unfortunately, no matter which method you use, louder always sounds better. There's just no escaping that. You really don't need anything fancy to get tolerable-to-decent low-volume overdriven tone -- a clean amp set low with a $125 OD pedal (with some verb and delay) will be just as satisfying (meaning, not that satisfying) as any expensive solutions.

Note that I have a Power Station, and also a Kemper -- but I still say clean amp set low plus pedal is just as good at 75 - 85 dB.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
There are approximately 6,247 ways to sound decent at low volume. Unfortunately, no matter which method you use, louder always sounds better. There's just no escaping that. You really don't need anything fancy to get tolerable-to-decent low-volume overdriven tone -- a clean amp set low with a $125 OD pedal (with some verb and delay) will be just as satisfying (meaning, not that satisfying) as any expensive solutions.

Note that I have a Power Station, and also a Kemper -- but I still say clean amp set low plus pedal is just as good at 75 - 85 dB.

My thoughts exactly!!

RolandKorg

Just finished watching and came to post the video.... You beat me to the punch.

This was exactly the type of thing i've wanted to see. Wish they had included a modeler or two, but it was still pretty good stuff.

I loved Dan's sound from the OCD>Yamaha in the intro, but i feel like i now have to think seriously about a Fryette. If i understand it, i could use it now, as an apartment-dweller, to amplify a Helix or Amplifire setup, and then later when i move to a house, i could use it between a head and cab. Or, maybe i shouldn't be thinking so far down the road?

Didn't like the Amplitube sound. The options are phenomenal, and it's designed in such a way that it's not overwhelmingly 'techy,' but you do have to buy a bunch of different packs/modules to get everything he showed, and it is clumsy to do all the scrolling and menu selections on a laptop, as we saw Mick sorta fumbling to access presets.

I disagree that louder always sounds better. I'm not accustomed to 'gig volume,' and don't want to hear my crappy practicing/playing at anything above tv volume. That's possibly only half because i suck and half because i'm not used to it, but the original statement stands—'better' sound to me is a volume that i'd listen to a concert at home with my AV system, but still with the same tones as i hear on recordings by my favorite artists. I was actually kinda shocked when i went to the LA amp show this past fall, and every room had someone blasting away, and it was just fatiguing, and it sounded pretty crappy....

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Fantastic episode.

I agree that the PS set up sounded the best to me (but can appreciate that others may prefer the other set ups).

The cool thing is that we are lucky these days to have multiple options to achieve the tones we desire at home and without losing our hearing. Which is great for a bedroom hero like me.

I liked the Fryette with the big amp way more than the other approaches in that video. My home practice solution is clean amp with pedals, but I think my practice volume must be much higher than 80dB (though I haven't measured it). I would categorize my practice level as "just loud enough to annoy the neighbors, but just quiet enough that they don't bother to complain."

AlanH

I achieve it with an Ashdown 10W bass amp which has a completely uncoloured tone and then a variety of pedals to simulate the characteristics of a loud valve amp:
-EQ pedal with upper mids and very bottom end boosted
-Joyo British set to a Plexi style tone just at the point of break up when strummed hard
-compressor always on
-spring reverb always on

Then I use a variety of dirt pedals, plus delay and modulation to suit whatever I like to play.

Wonderful tones are there to be had at bedroom volumes IMO....

TCMx3

80 db is quite quiet. definitely within early evening/weekend apartment volume.

I agreed the power station solution sounded great. Honestly I should get one anyway but I agree with the statement that a big clean amp with an OD pedal tends to sound about as good as something run hot and attenuated at low volume.

The Yamaha sounded good but I've learned with certain things that our brains do more than we think to normalize sounds to what we know already as familiar sounds. My cousin has one of those Yahamas and he posted a video that sounded great on his facebook, so I went over and listened to him play it in person. A lot less impressive in person. Just my personal experience.

Dig ?

Silver Supporting Member
Am i the only one who watches "that pedal show" long enough to roll my eyes? Probably just being cynic

Axe-Man

I've used:

Modelling and rack gear gear with studio monitors, headphones, FRFR cabs, SS and tube power amps.

Little amps

Big amps

Fryette Power Station

Two Notes Live

Little cabs

Big cabs

Currently I'm using a Dual Rectifier through though a 4x12 and a Boss Katana.

An amp through a cab with a great MV always seems to sound and feel the best.

No matter the volume level.

logdrum

Did not like Amplitude. I really do not use the PS to quite things down but to make loud amps bearable

illini

I'm similar to you. I play my 2204 clean with an overdrive late at night and it makes me much happier than many small wattage amps I have tried.

SteveO

Louder sounds better if that's what you're accustomed to. I spent years in a loud bar band, but before that I spent even more time with a home recording setup. For me, lower volume playing can sound just as good as standing in front of a cranked 100 watt amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom