That Saul Koll is a smart man

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by WahmBoomAh, Jul 18, 2006.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Help please . My Duo Glide is the single most gratifying guitar I`ve owned .

I insisted on 2 thinks that Saul recommended otherwise . (hence the title of thread)

1 . I chose 6150 frets and Saul thought a little finer fret would work better (stew-mac#141) ...Love the guitar but the frets might be a little too big .
    No problem

2. I asked for 3 knobs and not 2 as per Saul . I had this Les Paul,Duo Jet idea about mixing 2 different pickup volumes for tone . SO ....This never really was effective (due to lower output TV Filtertrons?) so I rewired the harness to try an internet varitone circuit . USELESS !

Here`s where the TGP Koll-aboraters come in;

Open to suggestions on what would to do with an extra potentiometer onboard .

Tone? On/Off switch for something? Boost ?Light show ?

thanks.....

2. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

How about 1 volume and 2 tone pots? Just curious, what do you think made the Varitone "useless"? Did it not work the way it's expected to work in a Lucille, etc.?

3. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I usually make the third pot a fader to go between the p'ups. On a strat the fader can be used to add the bridge p'up to the others in varying degrees.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Get the demeter mid boost thing that Tyler puts in his guitars

5. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

Something like that would be wonderful to have in a guitar with Filtertrons! :AOK

6. WahmBoomAh

Thanks .......The blend thing might be cool .
    I already had a demeter booster in a foot pedal and had to put
    it in a true bypass loop . The problem with the demeter is that it acts as a 3db buffer booster even when it`s on zero . I didn`t want to mess with the low output sweet chime of the filtertron . Anyway in a pedal format , I found it too tone changing in it`s boost . It was too much color for me .
    The varitone would be hip if it had some useful tones in it . Just didn`t like it .
    Saul mentioned a passive 10db (?) boost that he has on his guitar ..IS that possible ?

Could also put in another toggle switch to bypass the tone circuit .

There must be something more radical out there ......???/

7. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Bill Lawrence's Q-Filter might be cool:
    http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/Q-Filter.htm

Or a switch to put the pickups out of phase.

Or a series/parallel switch.

Or a high-pass filter to suck out some of the low-end. A dual-tone control setup, one for treble, one for bass. Like used in some G&Ls.

8. WahmBoomAh

Great ideas ...thanks ..On the switch instead of a 3rd pot .....

Would out of phase get me a healthy enough signal ?

the bridge is a 6.5k filtertron and the neck reads 5k .

I`m worried that out of phase might be too anemic for the amp on stage .

The varitone for instance just gave me odd eq`d versions of considerably lower output .

Anyone know what part is a blend pot for humbuckers ? (500k)?

Chris` ideas are interesting but the guitar never needed less bass (hipass idea) and the lawrence q filter looks like it might cut off signal with an even lower impedence .

also ... from Philtone with a great idea;

"If you have a three way toggle you can wire a minitoggle in the extra pot as a blower switch - defaults to both pickups in series. When off, it's back to however the 3 way is set, which incidentally is in parallel in the center position. The shielding braid from the pickup baseplate must be separated from the coil ground to do this. I like this sound for lower output pickups.
    You can modify the tone pot to be out of the circuit whne full up or use a pushpull to defeat it and still have the extra pot hole for another function.
    Good luck with it, it could be lots of fun!"

QUESTION ...pardon me ..but the series will give me MORE output ..SI ?

thanks again

9. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Yes, series will give you more output, less highs, more mids, different bass response.

10. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Put one of those "Deaf Eddie" switches in there. You could probably end up with 15 pickup combinations or something like that.