That Scofield chorus sound?

Average Joe

Yeah, sue me, I love it :D
I'm not talking about the fast faux leslie thing that he also do well, but the slower, clear sound as in the clips below. What effect get there? Is it the CS9? Whenever I use my CS-5 I seem to end up with something closer to a phaser/flanger sound, but is there any way to get that sound w that pedal?

Mr. Limbic

No matter the chorus the settings should have a high rate and probably med-high depth. Not sure what other controls your chorus has. Just listen through some stuff where he uses it and try to find a similar tempo, that should do it

stevel

Darn, I had hoped this was a complaint about it. I'll sue you OP. Me, it totally turned me off to his playing. Can't get past it. Can't even bring myself to listen to stuff that doesn't have it on it. My loss probably.

RockinRob

Sometimes in life you just miss the boat, and boy did I on Scofield. In fact, I am still waiting to get on.. I can admire playing I don't care for for technical reasons, but someday I hope I can feel even the slightest glimmer of what people see in this tone or genre.

Agitator

is it not coming from the Jazz Chorus amps right behind him?
I'd say that's an excellent hypothesis. If not, a Boss pedal (as someone else suggested) should be able to get as close as anything else to that quintessential chorus sound.

Darn, I had hoped this was a complaint about it. I'll sue you OP. Me, it totally turned me off to his playing. Can't get past it. Can't even bring myself to listen to stuff that doesn't have it on it. My loss probably.
I totally get what you mean about that chorus, but somehow I can force myself to listen to the huge pile of albums he's put out in the last 20+ years without his 80s Chorus Sound.

Speaking of effects pedals, though, Scofield started using this amazing Rat tone sometime in the 90s (and still uses it) where he gets it so it's just on the edge of breaking up. He'll start out playing with this smooth, sustained tone, but then when he digs in a little, it turns into the classic raunchy Rat sound. Mmwah. That's some good stuff, there, boy, and a lot more appealing to me than this classic 80s Chorus Sound.

In any case, man, dude, that guy can really play.

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Sco's "old" 80s chorused sound!!!! One of my all-time favorite guitar tones is his Loud Jazz album. Got very close with a Digitech Luxe specifically because it's not really a "chorus" but more of a micro-tuned effect - so it does Sco's thickened almost doubled sound but without the flanger/phaser qualities.

Of course, having an AS-200 helped. Try it (or most HH semi-hollows) in the middle position with the neck pickup rolled almost completely off.

OverdriveLover

Silver Supporting Member
My guess is that back then, if it wasn't the Roland amp chorus then its probably the CS9 both knobs maxed.

I thought I read somewhere that the Boss CE-3 in stereo comes very close, closer than the CE-1 to the Roland Jazz amps (if thats what he was using) which might explain why he added the CE-3 after changing amps...

also I think he now uses a Jams chorus fwiw...
http://www.jampedals.com/blog/john-scofield-is-using-our-waterfall-2/

hubberjub

is it not coming from the Jazz Chorus amps right behind him?
I'm not sure which video you're watching, but the two in the OP show two single speaker combos behind Sco. They almost look like Webb or Evans amps, but they don't have a label. One thing I can see in those videos is an Alesis Microverb unit sitting on top of the amp. If you look at 1:18 in the top video, you can see it clearly. That doesn't mean he's using it for chorus, though.

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Rig rundown from the srill populzr vertex days---- ewwwww.

He sure can play though

Trending Topics

Top Bottom