That thing the FD-2 does w/ chords...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Millo 3.1, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Hello everyone--

I used to own the blue, 3-way switch FD-2. Sold it b/c I wasn't giggin' w/ the electric and needed money plus felt like getting other stuff. Really fun pedal, weird in a way. Anyway the thing I liked THE MOST about it was this thing it did when I played chords in certain low-to-mid-gain (can't remember if when the boost was on) settings: to me it ALMOST seemed to clean up (I guess this is how I would describe the psycho-acoustic impression). Weird, does it have a limiter inside? It was great though, you could hear not only the texture of a 9(#11) but the actual chord tones. I SEE THERE ARE LOTS OF FD-2 OWNERS HERE: HAVE YOU GUYS EXPERIENCED THIS? Any other OD pedal (or amp, any class/any number of channels) out there that creates this impression as well?

Thanks

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Every FulldriveI have ever used has only made things murkier.

3. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Could not disagree more. The trick is to turn the tone knob all the way up (or dang near close) that is where it shines...

4. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Really? I've heard clips of the Dist Pro... THAT to me sounded murky. Evertyhing I've read about it seems to confirm it. The FD-2 I had had great note-definition even w/ the tone knob rolled back. I think it definitely has more "stringiness" to it than the OCD, which I own now as my "generic-sounding distortion". I have a Zendrive as well and while I like its more idisyncratic tone, it's too fat for complex chords on most settings.

5. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I tried the FDII mosfet and didn 't like it. Recently had an older blue version with black knobs and push\pull comp; now that one sounded good - wish I'd kept it. I am currently enjoying a older Barber Burn Unit 2 Channel OD \ It rocks!

vtg

6. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

so the newer mosfet and the older blue, 3-pos switch FD-2's sound different, huh? I mean, apart from the MosFet sounds.... is this true? If so, bummers...

Any OD or dist units you've tried that exhinit this sort of behavior? Kinda cleaning up when playing complex chords? What OD/dist units and/or amps' OD channel have RIDICULOUS chord definiton in your experience?

7. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I don't understand Mosfet and non-mosfet; FET and J-fet and all that. The old FDII that I had sounded: warmer, woody and kinda dry sounding (in a good way).

I had a Blackstone Appl. Mosfet OD and sold it the next day. I couldn't find any sound I liked at all.

vtg

8. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Yep, I'm with Benjy-crank that tone control.

9. impactblue

impactblue Member

Really depends on your clean sound....

I agree the Fulldrive can be murky/muddy...but in FM mode it has a bit more clarity....I think the trick is to be playing loud enough..if you're playign soft its like Blerghhhh.....

I think I'm gonna flip mine for a Burn Unit too :D love the look of the Fulldrive 2 but....

10. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Wow, muddy and murky? I would never describe the FD2M that way. It's a great pedal with great definition and can cop a number of good albeit very different tones. Definitely a must-have pedal IMHO.

11. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I've had 3 or 4, mos and non mos and they were all muddy. And yes, I did play with the tone control. Up, down and all points in between.