1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

THAT tone... you know...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fuzzdawg, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

ok, before we begin, i'd like to say: hi. my name is adam and i'm a tone-aholic. nice to meet you. ok, to business:

i have used a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 for years. last august i had to sell it to help pay my rent until payday. once payday came, i was going to buy another one, but ended up giving the OCD a shot, and completely fell in love with it.

here's my current set up:

guitar:
    homemade Strat-copy. Warmoth birdseye maple neck with pau ferro fretboard. Jumbo frets. finished heastock (clear), and a fine-sanded and oiled back-of-the neck: super slick and awesome feel. Alder Body with a laquer finish. Lindy Fralin Blues Special pickups.

Cables: (guitar=>pedals) spectraflex braided cable. (Pedal=>pedal, Pedals=>amp) George L's

Pedals:
    Homemade A/B box =>
    A=> Korg Tuner
    B=> Fulltone OCD (vol 9, drive 10:30, tone 2, hp) => Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive (gain x, tone x, clean max, vol 10:30 {gain and tone control overdrive only. when clean is full, have no effect} i run this as a clean boost) => Line 6 Echo park Delay (analog, trails on, normal tap, mod 8, mix 11, repeat 11, time x)

Amp:
    1965 Fender Princeton Blackface amp. volume 5.5, trebble 6, bass 7, speed 4, intensity 0 (crank to 10 for tremolo).

ok, i said all that to say this: i love the OCD as the perfect mild/mid/"in-between" overdrive. it's awesome. but now what i really need is that perfect "over-the-top" distortion (which i would put right between the OCD and the Sparkledrive). one that won't kill my tone, or destroy my other pedals. one that, if i was using and clicked on the OCD, would still be able to hear the OCD coming through. i want big, beefy distortion, but i can't stand muddy, or solid-state-y distortion. i don't want a Metal Zone. i want tone.

i tried borrowing a fulldrive to run in the lineup, and found that the OCD filled the "mid-overdrive" gap better than the fulldrive (unboosted) did, and that the fulldrive's boost with the drive cranked was not enough drive, and that the fulldrive didn't let the OCD shine through. what i would really want would be a fulldrive that i could increase the overdrive by about 15-30%. but that would be too muddy.

anyway, what are you guys using to get THAT tone? that perfect distortion.

lastly, i appologize if you've had 30 other threads just like this. i looked through a few but didn't quite find what i needed....

[​IMG]

2. madsr

madsr Member

I use a vox wah into a magicboy vibe into a keeley ts808 into a keeley bluesdriver into an echo park into a peavey delta blues(1x15) and a fender pro jr(with a 12 inch jensen). the echo park is set on "ducking" and 2 repeats in the tape mode with the mix at around 11 o'clock and mod all the way off. the 808 is set as a clean boost(drive 7 o'clock, tone at 1 o'clock, level at 4 o'clock) bluesdriver is 1 o'clock around the board with the phat switch on, I like the vibe between 10 and 12 o'clock.. use the footswitch on the peavey for tremelo(speed and intensity 3/4 of the way to dimed)...amps cranked to just around breakup using the volume knob on the guitar to control clean or dirtier..tone to the bone with my strat that way.. a friend of mine has the keeley ds-1 and that has a little more classic type of distortion but I find what I use gives me everything I need.

3. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Hermida Mosferatu.

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

+ 1

5. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

where can i find one? does everyone else agree?

6. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hahahahahaahah.

impossible task my friend.

7. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

ok, let me rephrase that: does ANY one else agree?

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

sorry man, i wasn't trying to be rude.

if you decide to go with the mos

you can get one @ www.hermidaaudio.com

but personally, i think you need something more along the lines of a clean boost or maybe a lovepedal cot 50. something to just push your ocd harder, since it sounds like you like the tone of the ocd.

my 2 cents.

9. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

but i run the sparkledrive as a clean boost. i want a big overdrive. that sounds awesome.

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey,

Don't laugh, but I run a visual sounds Jeckyl & Hyde through a fulltone '69.
    I get that band of gypsies machine gun distortion, no problem whatsoever.
    Peace, Mass

11. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I may be in the minority here, but I use an OCD as my "main sound", volume 10, tone straight up, gain at 9 oclock. I use a Zvex super-duper after it for clean boost. But here is the secret sauce.....
    I use a Keeley Baked mod TS9 in front of the OCD for the "over the top" sound. I think this is the absolute best overdrive sound I have ever heard.
    Just HUGE, and FAT!
    I tried tons of other pedals stacked with the OCD, and this was hands down the winner.
    Of course YRMV...
    :dude

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

13. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

14. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i like the idea of maybe running a distortion before the OCD. has anyone tried running a Fulldrive 2 before an OCD?

15. mcv

mcv Member

try a BSIAB2 (brown sound in a box)...........do a search on it, i just got one and all the hype is true!

16. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

*bump

has anyone tried running an 808 clone or a fulldrive into an OCD or a timmy? using the mid-gain drive to bump your normal overdrive to the next level? for that great full distortion tone...

/edit i tried it, and it didn't really work.

17. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

*bump again.

ok, i'm sorry for the double post, but i remembered what i am really looking for.

ok, IMHO, just about the best rock tone you can have is running a humbucker guitar into a fulldrive 2 with the comp-cut knob pulled (vol around 9, tone 2, drive 2, boost max), into a clean 100 watt marshall running on about 7. i mean, this is L-O-U-D loud, but you can rock with anyone!

what i want is a pedal that will rock me like that. one that doesn't compress too much, will give me feedback and a nice tight "chunk" when palm-muting, and lots of growl and saturation for soloing... but not force me to run through a marshall to do it. like i said, i run through a 12 watt Blackface Fender Princeton, and i usually run the volume just below 5.

i know there's no substitute to turnign your amp to eleven, but i'm looking for a substitute to turning your amp to eleven.

i just can't fight my roots. i may play in solely in church, but i grew up listening to rock. and i want to be able to rock, even if i don't get to do it very often...

18. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Fuzz... what you want is the Analogman modded Maxon SD-9. It is awesome. I was gonna sell mine b/c strapped for $$... no way. It really sounds great with or without a boost. You probably won't hear many recommendations for it, don't know why... maybe it's not Boutique de Jour, check it out. If you pay for shipping, I'll let you jam mine for a week... so long as your good for it.

Peace,
    GG

19. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i got it today, and will check it out tomorrow.

on a side note, i was able to play a fulltone distortion pro this weekend. i liked it a great deal.

20. Chadley

Chadley Member

It's all about the Boss Metal Zone into a Rat into a Fuzz Face.

Hey Fuzzy.....whad up?

I will try the Fulldrive before the OCD for ya. I like the Fulldrive after the OCD, but maybe I will be surprised.

I also use the OCD for my "all the time" sound set very similar to the post earlier. It makes my amp sound tubier at a lower volume which is perfect for the lower volume gigs. I then hit the Fulldrive for the ballsier sounds.