THD 2x12 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jose Luis Garci, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Hi everybody,
    I've recently purchased a Flexi 50 Head :AOK , and now I'm llooking for a 2x12.

I'm looking fat jazz clean sounds, and brown tone distortion type to solo from time to time. I like the sound with many, many mids (and sounding good), so my first option is 2xv30s, but i'm into knowing more about THD cabs.

I've seen it is usual to find Celestion Classic Lead 80 in them, but also a Thd Longhorn and Thd Vintage speakers combination.
    Can you tell which are the diferences among this two possibilities and the v30s one?

Thanks a lot!
    Jose

2. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

You would probably be best off with a THD 2x12 with a pair of Vintage 12's.
    Ed suggested that speaker setup to me, and it's great.
    Steve

3. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

THD 2x12 is my main gigging and recording cab for 4 years now. Unless you need ultra tight metal rhythm you can't go wrong with that cab:)

4. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

do you have Celestion Classic Lead 80 in it?
    Thank you

5. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

6. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I started using the 2 Celestion Classic Lead 80's (you can hear the cab in the Bogner site under the XTC Classic mp3's section) Then I've added a V30 for it's tougher mids and nice miced tone. Right now I will drop the CL80 for a Greenback but since I've heard the cab with it's new speakers I strongly believe that you just can't go wrong with any speaker in it! :) It's natural smoothness is amazing, maybe not good for the very aggresive styles of music but if you want silky smooth and fat look no further :)

7. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I have one with the original "longhorn" speakers which are CL80's that have been "broken in" by thd. That combination has a lot of the qualities you are looking for. More smooth and brown sounding as opposed to spanky or agressive. Those speakers give about the richest smoothest lead tone I've heard. It is a very well made cabinet and fairly light and compact for a 2 12.

Dan

8. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I have two 12's with beam blockers and they sounds awesome with my Univalve. It sounds beautiful set up clean without any overbrights or treble overload and distorted it sounds even better...bery clear and articulate but still warm and organic. I use it for jazz to shred and I get great results.

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have had three THD cabs over the years, and loved them all. My current one is a custom jobby with black grillcloth, chrome corners, and a pair of Fane Alnico Blues that sound incredible with both my SLO and Constellation!

The THD, and the large Germino 2x12 are my favorite cabs!

10. Bradders

Bradders Member

Those cabvs rock- - plain and simple. The speaker pairings are nothing short of awesome. Can't go wrong in my (NSH) opinion:AOK

11. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Hi every one and thanks a lot!

I've read at the Univalve forum the following thing, which is supposed to come from somebody at THD:

My luck is I own a Blond Twin Reverb:p
    So i'll have the chance to try something similar to a THD cab with 2 THD vintages.
    I'll tell my impressions.:YinYang

12. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

I haven't had the oportunnity of trying the THD cab over my Twin Reverb speakers properly yet, BUT the other day I went into a Mesa Boogie 3/4 Back cab with C90s.

Great rock sound. My THD comes with EL34 Svetlana winged 'C', and probably chinese 12AX7, sounding really good as it is.
    With this Mesa Boogie cab, the distortion is fat and clear, lot of lows but very controlled, great brown sound. Also, playing with the volumen pot, it is able to clear completely the distortion, amazing.:AOK

13. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

What speakers would give the THD 2x12 a bit more aggressive, upper mid edgy tone? A V30 and/or Greenback?

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

I dug up this thread because I have one of the older THD 212 with the original THD CL-80s and was considering replacing one or both with the new THDs. Maybe I could grab one of the new Eminence THD Vintage speakers and mix with my original THD LH CL-80? Not sure if that would work. I was interested because THD mentioned a somewhat fuller bass response.

15. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I have played on the 4x12 Dave S. owns that was used for voicing the THD 2x12. The THD 2x12 is easy one of the best.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

Curious what the best speaker mix is in this cab. The originals had THD Celestion CL-80 Longhorns. That is what I have and am thinking of picking up a THD Vintage to pair with it or a V30!

Hard to say what to mix because some people love mixing CL80s with V30s. V30s have lots of mids.
    THD recommends the Longhorn(same as my Longhorn CL80) and their THD Vintage which they say is scooped in the mids!

I'd love to know how close the Longhorn is to a real CL-80.

17. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

What is best is influenced by all your other gear and even more your taste.

18. skunx

skunx Member

My paisley cab has a longhorn and a vintage and sounds very full bodied and has an excellent tonal spectrum. I think the cab has a fairly balanced eq response, for sure not as middy as the V30 loaded Earcandy I had and not has boomy and flat sounding as the WGS BL80 loaded Lopo cab I had, though they were both fully closed back cabs as well. Sounds great with my Tweaker and absolutely huge when ran with my Mesa Mark IV combo.

19. SyKrash

SyKrash Member

I use one as my main gigging cab with a scumback M75 and J75. Great cab. Lightweight, enoght bottom end for most gigs and can fill up a room nicely

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

I think I want to get a Vintage to mate with one of my Longhorns. I have the older Celestion Longhorns - CL80s. THD says they are the same as the new ones, only made by Eminence.