THD 2x12 Speaker Recommendations?...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rhino, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

Here's the situation...I recently sold my reissue 1960BX 4x12 to make my road rig a bit more "portable (I'm not getting any younger)," and purchased a used THD 2x12. I decided on the THD after a bunch of research where most everyone agreed it had the "thump" of a 4x12 without the size. OK...I'll give it a shot.

It arrived and I've played it out a half-dozen times. It's loaded with two Vintage 30s, which I believe contributes to the issue. My 4x12 was loaded with Greenbacks and I truly miss the tone I was getting with those speakers. There's just too much difference with the THD...more of a midrange spike that just doesn't sound right. We recorded last weeks gig, and though the guitar sits well in the mix, it's missing something I had with the 4x12.

The question is...what would you recommend for a speaker compliment to get me "back in the zone" I was in with my 4x12? Can I swap one of the V30s for something else to get me closer. Install a couple of Greenbacks? G12H30? Blue?

I play a '71 50w bass head with volumes ranging from 3-6 and wanna go back "home!" [​IMG]

Thanks for any and all replies!

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

two celestion vintage 30s U say?
    hmm.
    mine has two different speakers, both branded by THD. wouldn't even think about changing them.

3. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

My THD 2x12 has a Vintage and a Longhorn, and I like it a lot. I also have a Germino 4x12 with Celestion G12H30 55Hz., and when I switch back and forth between the Germino and the THD, I'm still smiling!!!

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

When the 2X12 originally came out, I believe it had 2 custom 80 watt celestions. Some time after, they switched to the "Vintage" (vintage 30-sounding speaker) and "longhorn" (cl80-sounding speaker). I know some people prefer 2 of the Vintage THDs, and I know some people who prefer the old 2 80 watters, but I also know people who prefer 2 Vintage 30s in that cab (Brett Garsed, for example).

Deciding which speakers to pair with that cab will depend partially on which amp you use. What is the rest of your rig, including guitar?

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I also heard that these THD bottoms are great............but lets face it, if you want a 4x12.........your just gonna have to get a 4x12 or add another cab. Kind of like buying a PRS and trying to get it to sound like a Les Paul. You might get in the ballpark but it just ain't gonna happen 100% unless you GET a LP. [​IMG]

6. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

I agree...although my THD 2x12 sounds great, it will never compete with the thump of the Germino 4x12, if that's what you're after.

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have tried the THD 2x12 with Classic Lead 80s, and with the Vintage/Longhorn setup, and my favorite config so far is the Fane Blue Alnicos that I have loaded in it right now. Just incredibly fat and rich with my SLO! The cab also kills with my Constellation.

8. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Vintage/Longhorn mix here! This cab has been the longest piece of gear I have ever owned. IF I was to change, I may try out some of the new Celestion 65s in place of the Vintage/Longhorn mix.

9. move

move Member

anybody tried celestion blues?

10. hipfan

hipfan Member

If it's the "thump" you're missing, then yeah, going back to a 4x12 probably is the best answer. However, I didn't read your post that way. You just want the Greenback-style tone, but in your THD cab, correct?

If that's the case, I think a pair of the current Cele Greenbacks will not get you there properly with a 50 watter. Their small magnets just do not hold their stuff together well enough in an open or semi-open back cab IMO. There are a couple of speakers I've used, however, that *do* sound in the ballpark of Greenbacks and hold their stuff together better in a 2x12 when receiving large amounts of power.

The Mojotone BV-25M is a Greenback-style speaker that gets you that nice, warm middy tone, but it has a larger magnet than a GB and works better in a semi-open cab like your THD, IMO. Very nice sounding speakers. I've pounded a pair of them with a 50 watter for a while, and they take it pretty well (although, honestly, I run two 2x12's cabs to disperse the sound better, whenever possible; just sounds better to me). Randall Aiken uses (or has used) this speaker as his house speaker for his amps.

The Eminence Private Jack also might get you there. Greenback-ish tone, but with better power handling and a larger magnet. I think the Mojo speaker might be a little thicker sounding than this one. The PJ is crisper. If I were you, I'd get a pair of each of those speakers, try them out, and then sell the pair that does not make the cut after breaking them in substantially. Both have the warm, thick mids like a Greenback, but they don't have the V30 spike that's fatiguing your ear.

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Cab was designed around the THD speakers - use 'em, they're killer.
    These are basically THD-modified custom Eminence designs.
    Talk w/ Ed - he'll tell you the best match for your rig/style.

12. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

The V30s are what's giving you the mid-spike. Either call THD, or try some G-12 30H's or G-12-65s - they sound great w/even response. I had an early THD 4-10 Tweed Plexi combo. It had 10" Longhorns that were excellent sounding. I'm sure the LH 12"s would do the trick.

13. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

I'm getting a pair of G12Ms and will try those in the cab first. If the don't work they'll go into my 4x12 project.

I'm using a '71 Marshall 50w (model 1986), Strat w/ Antiquitys, and a PRS with High Order pickups. Effects used the most are Picture Way, Time Machine Boost (most always on), and a FD2.

Still open to suggestions.:D

14. gooma

gooma Member

I`m running the same amp (well at least a ceriatone version) in a 1 x 12 open back cab, it`s the same dimensions as a 2 x 12 tho.

I too had a V30 in there for a while and dont think it`s a good match at all for a Plexi style amp. At least for my tastes anway.

I`ve just recieved a Scumback H75 LHDC 65 watter, the difference compared to the V30 with this amp is astounding. The anoying mid spike isnt there that the V30 was giving me, a great speaker for other amps maybee but not a Plexi IMO.

Good luck
    Brad

15. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

Nearly 8 years have gone by...time to resurrect this thread with an update. Not long after my last post I picked up a pair of greenbacks. Nope, still not "it." A pair of Warehouse Guitar Speakers CL80s replaced the GBs and stayed there until today. I found a pair of stock THD speakers (Longhorn and Vintage) locally and put them in. In a word...WOW! I can see why people dig this combo. Voiced for the cab and the cab sings with the Dr. Z Route 66!

I did end up getting another Marshall 4x12 and loaded it with greenbacks so that cab is around if I feel the need to rattle the windows!

:dude

[​IMG][/URL]