1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

THD 4x12" in the studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elektroglide, Sep 18, 2008.

1. elektroglide

elektroglide Member

has anyone recorded one of these?

they have diffusers over the centre of each speaker, exactly where i'd normally put a mic, and while they're supposed to sound great "in person", i'm wondering how they mic up???

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I'm not a 4x12 fan in general, though the THDs are totally awesome.
    While I haven't recorded w/ one, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Lots of sweet spots for a mic and (if I remember correctly)), the grille is removable giving even further mic placement options.

3. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I'm no expert but I would think you'd want your mike off center anyway.

When I record (I'm a total amateur) I don't close mike anyway. I prefer to get some room effect.

4. mild

mild Member

The THD 2x12 is one of the best cabs I've ever owned. It mic's up VERY easily, puts out a great full-range frequency, lots of low end, and projects well. By that logic, I'd say you're gonna be fine with the 4x12...

5. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

yeah, I don't think you want the mic *normally* dead center unless you're going for some particular thing.

6. elektroglide

elektroglide Member

i've already got the 2x12 cab, it's awesome, and doesn't have the beam blocker/diffuser.

i always have a 57 on centre or centre-ish (wherever the amp hiss is fullest and most present through the cans) with a royer or similar off-centre and backed-off, so the centre of the cone is pretty important. i guess they didn't intend it as a close-mic studio cab...