THD Flexi - BFDR Cleans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeffinaustin, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Can you configure this amp to do that type of clean? Anybody figured a config to get the Henderson type dirty/clean thing?

Thanks!

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

For the Henderson thing...
    Anderson Classic into the Flexi with two EL34s into a Hot Plate into a 1x12 iso cab with a Vintage 30. Close miked with a SM57. Verb and delay added at the mix. No eq or compression added. Normal input, controls were Volume 1 o'clock, Treble 2 o'clock (bright on), Mids 2 o'clock, Bass 1 o'clock, Boost on (Gain 3 o'clock, Tone 1 o'clock), Master volume on 2 o'clock, cut 2 o'clock, 20 watt setting.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/soundclips/flexin.mp3

3. markp

markp Member

Many,many shades of clean/dirty clean/edge of brakeup all the way to many shades of singing lead tones.Can get some killer chimey stuff.

Then there is always the if you want black face fender,then get one.but the flexi will get great black face tone if you work it ,deluxe will never get you to the other places the Flexi can.

That is some killer tone on that ED clip!

4. jeffinaustin

So between the BiValve and the Flexi, which will get me to the territory I want to be in? Either one, or is the Flexi really the best/only way to go?

Thanks!

5. Ed DeGenaro

Flexi over the BiValve fo' sho'.

6. mailman

mailman Member

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

The only thing I'd miss having the Flexi over a 1965 BF Deluxe Reverb is the reverb. And now the prices have gone up on the 65's from 600.00 10 years ago , to people asking 2500.00!! HOLY ****... Seriously , I like reverb a lot on clean Fender tones.. . BUT , there is NO PROBLEM AT ALL getting every best clean tone to mild od to edge of breakup just like Mark said with the FLEXI. UNLESS you're not really good at dialing in amps, and then it's more difficult than a BF Fender Deluxe Reverb. This Flexi KILLS at all that stuff.. There 's a guy here Jae/Joker (sp?) who refers to the FLEXI as a hi-gain amp in most of his posts about it , or refers to its hi-gain , but to me it's a lo-gain amp for sure and that's what it totally excells at. MEDIUM tops. And when I say "excells' I really mean it... I'm currently running a pair of old tungsol 5881's in it, and man is it just great. IT's really responsive to all preamp and power tube changes and works the best with a guitar's volume knob of any amp I've owned. Anyway, that's it from me.. IT really took me a little while to find my 'favorite ' aspects of the Flexi as it's not a 1 sound amp like many or having 1 sound per channel . It is almost a chameleon. Have a good one

ERIC

8. jeffinaustin

Will the BiValve get those tones though? I like the built in Hot Plate aspect for small clubs. I'm afraid the 50 watts would be touch much juice for a lot of the stuff I do.

BTW - you guys are most helpful. Thanks so much!

9. Ed DeGenaro

Too much midrange...so no it will not.
    Also there is the 20 watt switch on the Flexi.

10. jeffinaustin

Does that really take the overall volume down? I had a Rivera once where the half power switch changed the amps response but didn't really affect the volume that much.

11. Ed DeGenaro

3 db down for that.

12. fyler

fyler Member

there also is a (very good sounding) master volume knob.

13. ericb

On the FLEXI the 20 watt mode vs. 50 watt mode is significantly different. I guess if we all just go on the basis of measurements and words , 3dbs is a lot to some and not much to others. To me , it was quite a bit with this amp, and also changes the feel of the amp to make it have a softer feel, as in slightly more spongey , and also overdrive sooner. IF all of those are "Fletcher-Munson' effects, so be it, but to me I just have to go by what my ears tell my brain and then put that out in type or by word!!!

ERIC

14. Ed DeGenaro

It is spongier in 20 watt mode, has nothing to do with FM compensation.

15. ericb

Thanks! YEP I know that, I was just countering the posts that might come forth where people put things in scientific formulas. I come from a family of scientists, but when it comes to music to me , it's ALL FEEL!

ERIC