THD Flexi Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JoshuaTSP, Mar 14, 2008.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

What's a good used price for a THD Flexi?

Anyone have one? Can you give me your opinion?

2. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I haven't really looked lately, but I'm pretty sure that they're running around a grand for a used one in great condition.

I've had one for about 3 years and absolutely love it. I've never received more compliments on my tone. Literally, I'll have people approach the stage in between sets and stare at my pedalboard to figure out what I'm using. I just look at them and point at the amp, kind of saying "it's not the pedals."

Extremely touch responsive and harmonically rich. Great semi-cleans (tough to get pure cleans at stage volume) and a crunch tone that just kills.

To use it as a primary gigging amp, you really need to learn the amp and set it up in a way that will let you get all the tones you need on fly. It's basically a single channel amp with a boost, but if you take the time to experiment and learn it, you can get a bunch of killer tones just by using the boost and master volume switches. Add to that a couple pedals and you can cover just about any tone with the exception of crystal clear cleans.

There's a ton of discussions in the archives, so you should be able to get a good idea of what people think about it.

Good luck,
    Rick

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Hey thanks!

Sounds like an awesome amp!
    I've read just about every thread here about it.......everyone was raving how great it was.

Sadly I missed out on the one on Ebay for $1300 with a boat load of tubes.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I just sold mine for $1,275. It included a bunch of tubes the gig bag and the shipping cost.
    It's a great amp and I'll probably own another one someday. I just had to sell the amp to get the funds for my new purchase (a CAE OD100 Classic+).

5. stump

stump Member

Avatar Speakers had killer deals on them when purchasing with a cab. You might check and see what he's getting. I think $1000- $1300 is the used range.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

MAN! You guys are killing me with your "I just sold mine" stories!

Looks like they only have Bivalves left for $1075 shipped.

7. es125luv

es125luv Member

Avatar Cabs is not selling the THD amps anymore...:(

8. Madsman

Madsman Member

I love my Flexi.

9. HTR

HTR Member

Flexi with Mullard el34 :D

10. whitewave

whitewave Member

+1 on gomez1856 post

Great amp, but you have to understand it before having the real fun.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

+1

It's a plug and play amp if you understand it, but if it's your first time playing one, it may be a little hard to understand everything it's capable of doing.

12. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

+1 on gomez1856 post

I have had mine for a few years and love it. I found it challenging at first as it takes a while to figure how to dial in and it requires good technique. It is not a Fender clean or high gain monster and it is definitely not for everyone. It is an articulate rock/blues gigging amp that can sound spectacular at band volume. Build quality is a step above any other guitar amp I have seen. Btw, I paid $950 used.

Shawn.

13. 5E3

5E3 Member

If you don't mind the question, what tube compliment(s) have you settled on to get your favorite tone?

I was jamming with a guy who was using a Univalve a couple of weeks ago, and I kept looking at his pedalboard wondering how he was getting such great tone!?! I never got around to asking him what tubes he had installed because we played for 3 straight hours and then everybody dashed home. :)

14. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

So, after going through a phase (this amp will do this to you) of practically becoming a vacuum tube expert and trying and learning about every tube within reach, I settled on a set of Tung Sol 5881 reissues. You can read the review that sold me on them here:

http://thetubestore.com/tungsol5881.html

They don't break up as easily as most others that I've tried, but have a great dirty clean tone at pretty high volume level. But, once you get them cooking, they're have a throaty growly (that makes sense right ;)) quality that just melts into thick crunch when pushed.

I've not tried any others in about a year and a half. This is one part of my rig that I'm just really happy with and don't feel the need to change up (unlike pretty much everything else that I play).

One more thing about the amp that Shawn touched on in his post above is that this is a player's amp. What I mean by that is that no matter the gain level, you will hear (loudly) every nuance of your playing technique. There's not a wall of mush to hide sloppy licks. That's not to say that you have to be a monster to buy it, but you should be prepared for that aspect of it. It's my belief (and this isn't directed at anyone specifically at all) that a lot of the negative opinions regarding this may come from this to some degree.

It forced me to slow down, focus on my lines and melodies, and actually made me a better player in the long run. I can no longer get away with flurries of notes here and there because every one comes out clear as a bell.

Well, good luck!

I got mine at Avatar as well as the posters above. Great deal with a 212 cab! and great to deal with as well.

Rick

15. 5E3

5E3 Member

^^^^^^^ thanks Rick!

16. mailman

mailman Member

Another Flexi proponent. Also got mine with 2x12 cab at Avatar for a very good price 5 years ago. Dave's great to do business with...sorry he no longer carries the THD line. Have JJ KT77's powering my Flexi, and prefer them to the stock Chinese EL34's (though they sound great, too!). Most used Flexi's run around $1000-1200. And, they're solidly hand-built!:AOK

17. thunderbolt

thunderbolt Member

Got my Flexi at its debut at NAMM a few years ago (my friend used to be a THD dealer), and the lettering on the face place is still red. I use it mosly for blues and some semi-dirty sounds, but when I'm in the 80's mood, a BB preamp pedal is the way to go. Absolutely love mine!