THD Flexi tubes. Which should I buy??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike M, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Mike M

Mike M Member

I just got my flexi today and I am very impressed. I wanted some opinions about what tubes I should get for the Flexi. What I don't want to do is spend hundreds of dollars for 20 different pairs if they some somewhat similar. If I am going to pic three pairs, what should they be to give me the widest range of tones? Right now I have the original EL34's and a pair of JAN Phillips 6L6WGB. I am hoping the 6L6's will give me some good cleans. Give me some tips!

Thanks

2. markp

markp Member

Tung-sol RI 6550s,by them selfs or mixed with your 34 or 6l6.

Small bottle Ei EL34 or EH EL34 would give you somethin differant than the stock 34.

For peamp JJ803 are my new favotite but I will usually run 2 and put somethin else in V1.Tungsol, EH ,GT12ax7M.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The 6L6WGBs are the LOW POWER 6L6 variety. For high headroom, you want either 6L6GCs (SEDs are great) or NOS JAN Philips 7581As (the ultimate in clean headroom 6L6s).

SED 6550s will take it up a notch further.

Not sure if that amp will run 6V6s or not, but if it does, these are desirable for early break up applications. The NOS Marconi 6V6Gs are excellent.

4. Glaze

Glaze Member

Mike M

I have a Flexi and I only use EL-34's in it. The Flexi has a great clean tone with the EL-34's that come stock with the amp. I have Flexi serial number 1, so I have had it a long time. I have not put anything but EL-34's in this amp however because my favorite output tube is the EL-34 for overdrive. I'm the wrong person to ask what output tube combinations get this or that tone out of the Flexi. For that I would just ask Ed or Andy at THD because they really have tried everything. I'm not a guy who likes to mess with my equipment constantly and try new things all of the time, but that is due to I already know what I want and like out of my equipment.

I did talk to Ken Fischer of Trainwreck amp fame very recently about the tubes he is using in the new Komet 50. He told me N.O.S. EL-34 Mullard double getters are his favorite EL-34 and he is going with SED Svetlana EL-34's in the new Komet 50 tolex version. So basically the SED Svetlana EL-34 is his first choice in current production EL-34's and he did tell me it is the closest to the original Mullards out of all the new EL-34's on the market now. Just an FYI on EL-34's.

The Flexi sounds great. This amp is far better than most amps on the market and I prefer it over most of the extremely high end amps out there also. When comparing the Flexi to other high end amps that sound great also it just comes down to personal preference in what tone and sound you prefer.

Mike

5. fyler

fyler Member

my favorite tubes in the flexi are the new sensor tung sol 6550 & shuguang KT66.

6. benttop

benttop Member

A lot of Flexi owners like the Tun Sol 6550 reissues, but I didn't care for them. I'm still using the original Chinese EL34's in my first Flexi, and I have GT6CQ7's in the second one. I like both.

In the preamp, I like an AT7 in the V2 slot - this is how my first Flexi came from the factory, but the second one came with an AX7 in V2. I changed it to a GT12AT7M. The AT7 just seems to give the amp a rounder sound in the midrange.

The thing is, everyone hears it differently, and goes for something different, so in reality you just have to try stuff until you're happy.

7. raz

raz Member

I too like the Tung Sol 6550's, but they make for a really fat sound which isn't always entirely preferable to me. Right now, I'm experimenting with a JJ E34L + Tung-Sol 6550, and really liking the results so far. Seems to get the right mix of fatness and definition.

I have all the respect in the world for Benttop, being as we both love Flexis and Groshes. But I don't at all get why he likes those stock tubes. They're servicable in a pinch, and I keep them just for emergency backup. But I didn't like them at all.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I run one with a cureent production EL34B and SED 6550, the other with a Tung-Sol 6550+KT66.

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I am using EH 6550 and EH EL34. The Shuguang KT66 is also cool.

10. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Right now, my favorite is the Tung Sol 5881 Reissues. Nice amount of headroom and a really organic kind of chewy (only way I can describe it :) ) overdrive.

11. markp

markp Member

The stock 34 and the tungsol 6550 are not my favorites by them self but the are my favorites when I mix tubes.One TS or one stock 34 is always in there when I mix.

I am interested in new KT 77s also.

12. Mike M

Mike M Member

Sounds like a consensus for the Tung Sol 6550. Will the tone be very similar to the KT88 JJ's? I used to use that in the Univalve and loved it.

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Try TUngSol 5881's (originals OR reissues) I like them better than any el34 I own in the Flexi, but your stmt about 'coming down to personal preference in what tone and sound you prefer' of course couldn't be more correct! Just turning some people on to the Tungsol 5881's in that amp!

ERIC

14. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I went with EH KT88's and love them. I biased it a bit hotter (.35) and it got alot more headroom, clarity, and tightened up the bottom end like crazy. I also swapped out V2 for a high gain JJ.
    It gets better cleans than stock, and much tighter less comressed gain when pushed....Stock it seemed to mud out with tooooooo much power tube compression. And the mids seemed to smooth out IMHO
    Steve

15. Glaze

Glaze Member

Eric

Oh no, please suggest what you like and prefer. I'm not going to get offended because someone does not like what I prefer or found something that they thought sounded better. I learn about new things from many people. I call Ken Fischer about once a year to ask him some questions. There are several people out there I call and ask for information. The internet is great for researching anything...

I personally do prefer the sound of certain N.O.S tubes. They just sound better with smoother overdrive and more harmonic richness. Few of us like the prices though...

Mike

16. stump

stump Member

I'm currently running all JJ's in mine. KT 77 in power and ecc803 in V1 ECC81 in V2 and ECC83S in V3. I,ve also run the JJ 6v6, 6L6, E34L and KT88 in this amp in varying combinations with great success. For NOW anyway I've screwed the cage on and am really digging it. I ended up with this setup after trying out NOS against each of the New Production counterparts and realizing that it sounds as good if not better with the "cheap stuff" in there. I've also tried most of the other current production tubes but decided that I liked the JJ's the best so far. There's some really good New production stuff out.

17. mailman

mailman Member

Stump, what rating have you biased the JJKT77's in your Flexi? And, have you any results using one KT77 and an EL34 together, or are you just running the 2 KT77's by themselves?
    I just received a pair of KT77's from Eurotubes, but haven't had an opportunity to pop 'em in yet.

18. benttop

benttop Member

Thanks! I like them because in my setup they sound better than anything I've tried. To me... which is what it ultimately comes down to. We all look for something a little different, and what I'm looking for apparently isn't what many look for. But it's definitely working here. In fact, these Chinese tubes are why I bought a LOAD of different kinds of EL34's so that I could have a plan for when these wear out. I liked the Groove Tubes 6CA7's, but I still like the Chinese tubes more. They are brighter, have more of that midrange Marshall crank but they break up in the coolest way - the top end gets a very cool crunch at high volumes. Our last bass player loved it. Our current bass player doesn't love it. So there it is! :)

19. stump

stump Member

Mailman, nice to see someone else here from Mass. I've got the KT77s biased at .025. I tried them at .031 but found them more responsive at .025. I've gotta say that they are real close to the original GEC KT77. I did try the E34L and KT 77 but didn't like it as much. The 6v6 and the KT77 was way cool though as was the KT77 and 6L6. Hell, it was all real cool but when it was said and done it ended up being 2 KT77. I'm gonna put a quad in my Marshall TSL 100. I tried the GEC's in it and it was absolutely killer except that the tubes are worth more than the amp. I saw an NOS Matched quad of GEC KT77's still sealed in the bags going for $2400. Back in 1965 they went for about $12.00 a matched pair.