THD Hot Plate - Squeals like a pig!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kenny D, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Ok, I tried my new Hot Plate today at practice.

It orks great for giving me just enough volume reduction to allow my amp to bloom nicely.

My problem is in using the Line-out feature.

I had hoped to run a line out from the Hot Plate into a TC G-Major and then into a separate power amp for a wet/dry rig. However, when I insert a cable into the Line-Out jack at normal volumes (speakers attached to the HP) the amp squeals like a dying pig.

The line-out only works at greatly reduced volume on the amp. I am running a CeriaTone Plexi (50 watter). The I channel dimed and the II channel at about 10:00. I have a PPIMV on this amp that I was running at about 2:00.

What is wrong? I thought this would solve all of my problems but it now looks like it does not work at all.

:NUTS

2. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

I'm affraid I have no idea what your problem could be.

However, I would suggest contacting THD. Give them a call as they are very helpful indeed. I have one of their amps and called up with a problem I had and the sorted it straight away for me. Great customer service.

Good luck fixing it.

3. iggs

iggs Member

Did you try adjusting the line-out level? Maybe it's way too hot and you're getting feedback from it.

Otherwise, sounds like something is wrong. Contact THD ... they're good people and will help.

4. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I am going to call them today. I did try the line level control to no avail.

Thanks.

5. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Not quite.

:roll

6. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I talked to the folks at THD today. Andy, the guy I spoke with, immediately recognized the problem. They said, "move the HP off the amp and place it somewhere else - it's a shielding issue."

Ok, I am going to try that tomorrow.

Anyone else ever have this problem or anything like it?

7. iggs

iggs Member

Whenever I used my HotPlate ... and I have been using them for quite a few years, I always have them on top of the amp. Live, studio and at home. Never encountered any issues at all.

Mind you, if Andy says that, must be something to it ... he designed it.