THD Hotplate at 12-16 db reduction... how does it sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imjustadrummer, Jan 21, 2008.

1. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

How good is the sound/feel of an amp with 12-16db of attenuation vs 4-8db?

Should I expect to be able to use the amp with that much attenuation and still have it sound decent?

2. freaksho

freaksho Member

it gets thinner and more fizzy imo with each click. i personally don't like it above -8db practicing by myself. but live and with my band i can be less picky so i can go one more click (to -12db) if needed. i don't ever go lower than that tough.

3. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1. i didn't like attenuating more than 8dbs. for recording in the studio though i'd sometimes attenuate more....

4. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

it sounds flat and muffled. not a big fan

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I like -4db, but can handle -8db if I have to. I think -2db and -6db would be a better choice though. lol
    -12 or more just doesn't do it for me. To me the Hotplate sounds better with an amp that uses more preamp gain vs an amp that uses more poweramp distortion.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Same here. I feel the same way about most attenuators... which I know is contrary to the way most people want them to work.

Actually I thought the Hotplate sounded better at -16dB than -12dB, with the Deep and Bright switches on. At -12dB the switches aren't so effective and overall it was the setting I found least useful.

7. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

Interesting posts about the pre vs post impressions...

I'm using my blackjack 21 with Emi Wizard and it rates 103 db...

I may be just as well off getting a GB or G10L35 cab which will be at about 95-96db rating?!? I could then attenuate that down 4-8db and be quiet as a church mouse!?!

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

-12 dB is decent, but not that great. -16 dB gets you into what's-the-point territory. -8 dB is my favorite setting; there is no significant impact on tone.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I use -8db. I think -12db sounds ok, but I usually would just drop the master a bit and go back to -8. Also amp dependent. With some amps the extra tone from more poweramp breakup outweighs the little you lose from going -8 to -12.

10. Orren

Orren Member

I consider the hot plate an integral part of my rig. I have used it at every setting and I think it's fantastic. If you find that one setting changes the tone slightly, just use the switches or EQ to get the tone you want.

Keep in mind, it's going to effect the sound differently depending not just on how much attenuation, but how many watts you are putting through it, and how it interacts with your amp. So a blanket statement that "setting it to -12dB will suck tone" may apply to your personal 100W amp, but it might not apply to my 15W amp, or someone else's 50W amp.

Orren

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

-4 or -8 DB...after that it starts to go downhill, but that's got more to do with the difference in VOLUME our ears hear and percieve...The same reasoning as to why Stereo systems have a loudness control at low Volumes...or used to.....The Hotplate is a Great attenuator...Andy worked a long time gettin it right....The Bright and Deep switches really help to fine tune your tones as well,,,,

12. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

It's an integral part of my rig, as I use the EQ to give my amp some much needed bass boost, as well as attenuate at -4 and -8db like everyone else.

13. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I wouldn't be caught on stage without some sort of attenuation, and the Hot Plate is as good as any I've tried. They all seem to thin / fizzy the tone a little (or a lot) as you deepen the attenuation - I just live with that as the price of attenuation. Within limits, it can even be a useful portion of the overall effects package for your sound pallet. However, if you have your sound "just the way you like it" already, you may be disappointed with the heavily attenuated sounds.
    My 8-Ohm HP sounds best in the 4 to 8 db range, as well, and increasingly thins out, but also seems to add fuzzyness, sort of like adding gain, while reducing volume, particularly at the lowest level, with the variable setting. Not always bad, as long as that's the sound I'm needing, at that time, but not great for a super clean shimmery sparkly tone.

El Steve-0

14. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I've had most of the attenuators on the market and they all have their own pluses and minuses. The THD is as good as any (for some amps, it's better than most, it's all amp specific). Yes, -12 or -16 doesn't usually feel as good as -4, but I heard Paul Gilbert ripping through a Marshall Vintage/Modern with a hotplate set at -12 and it sure didn't seem to affect his playing, tone or the smile on his face while he was juicing his guitar and amp for all their worth.

15. hamfist

hamfist Member

great wisdom sir !