THD hotplate users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Colt, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Colt

Colt Member

do any of you actually use all the knobs/switches on it?

I want to get an attenuator for a super reverb I'm about to buy....and was looking at the Hot Plate and the Dr. Z Airbrake....

2. Teahead

Teahead Member

The Deep & Bright switches are very handy if you go above -8db of attenuation, especially for home use. I don't use them with the band though, since I set it at -4db, there isn't really any need. The Noise Reduction feature is great and doesn't change the tone. All this being said, I have never tried the Airbrake, maybe one day.

3. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I use the switches on my Hotplate all of the time. With the vaious bands that I play and jam with. I use it in many types of setups.
    The noise reduction bulbs that glow during use, do in fact have an affect on the attack of the tone. I liken it to an amp that is switched between Pentode and Triode mode. 1 has a bit more attack and clarity [NR off], and the other makes the tone smoother [NR on]. Fantastic piece of equipment.
    M.E.

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I use a HP all the time. The switches are nice to fatten up a strat and then can be set for hum buckers. I'm very satisfied with mine.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

6. rpavich

rpavich Member

I've owned the Airbrake and now own a Hotplate...both are good...but I had a need for a line out and so went with the Hotplate...(not to mention, that when using the Airbrake, the drummer was always asking me: "whats that weird "dr frankstein lookin' piece of gear on top of your amp?") :)

7. alguit

alguit Guest

With single-coil equipped guitars, I do use the Bright and Deep switches (or whatever they're called-mine's at the studio right now!) when playing at lower-volume performance levels.

They help, but it's never quite the same, is it? Still, with some knob twiddling it's possible to pull some really nice tone out of the amp.

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

IMHO, the knobs and switches are one of the hipper things about it...they're absolutely useful

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

+1 ... to me, the bright switch doesn't "reproduce" what might be lost as much as it "produces" a brighter tone. The effect can be fairly dramatic, maybe more so than increasing a treble control on the amp. It almost changes the voicing on the amp. I agree with what some have said, strats seem to benefit the most from this. It kind of makes my Marshall clean channel more Fenderish. Good stuff!

:dude

10. BenFulton

BenFulton Member

Brilliant product! I use mine with my rebuilt tweed twin - it's magic.
    Andy Marshall is a buddy of mine and the only word to describe him is guru - THD stuff combines the three key ingredients in great music gear - brilliant engineering, innovation and most importantly excellent tone.
    You won't regret the purchase.
    Yay THD:BEER

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I use the Hot Plate and the switches to taste all the time.