1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

THD or Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tildeslash, Jan 18, 2006.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

I have a THD cabinet but always wanted to know if an Avatar cabinet is better or not?

I know tone is subjective but I like to read your opinions.

Is the Avatar built better...does it offer any advantages...etc....

I guess each has their pros and cons but what are they?

2. John55

John55 Member

I have an Avatar 2x12 and have been interested in knowing more about the THD, so I'm curious as well!

3. granite

granite Member

I think Avatar cabs are the best bang for the buck out there. I recently bought a 2x12 G212H Premier cab loaded with an Eminence Red Fang and a Wizard. It is a high quality, great sounding cab. Rob at Avatar is a pleasure to deal with and I received my cab within a week of ordering it. Rob even offers a two week, full refund policy if for whatever reason you don't like it.
    You can't lose with Avatar.

I don't have any experience with THD cabs, but I have heard nothing but praise for them as well. I believe they cost more and you have more limited speaker choices. Rob at Avatar is a distributor for Eminence and Celestions and has the best speaker prices I have found anywhere. I highly recommend Avatar.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The THD is a very nice cab indeed. However, in a bang for the buck shootout. I'd choose the Avatar 2x12 everytime.

5. tildeslash

OK - let's take price out of the equation. Sure Avatar is cheap. There is a difference between between a cheap hooker and an expensive one.

6. Berre

Berre Member

cabs : isn't the THD ported and the Avatar not ?
    hookers : is there !?

Bert

7. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Not me. You can pick up a used THD for 400 bucks if you are patient...I think that is the best bang for your buck. Cost more but it is a much nicer cabinet all around: sound, quality, size, resale (if you buy second hand).

8. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

+1 for expensive hookers

9. raz

raz Member

The slot on the back of the THD is effectively a port.

I think the THD's and the Avatars are really close in quality of sound. The THD is more expensive, but it's also more compact and portable, which is a big thing to me.

I'm having some doubts about the speakers in my THD (Vintage and Longhorn). They don't sound bad, but with my Flexi, they reproduce a trailing fuzzy sizzle that is considerably reduced or eliminated with other speakers. I'm going to be spending some time in the near future trying different speakers in it to see what works better for me.

All that said, Dave at Avatar is a gentleman, his prices are killer, and his cabs are excellent.

10. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I think it would be more cost effective to simply swap out speakers that you can purchase from Avatar at a great $. Never tried one, but from everything I've heard the THD cab is as good as any.

When you find the speakers you want, put the others on EBAY...

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

You want an expensive hooker, get one.:D My sm-57 doesn't care if the cab has a port in back or not.:AOK

12. tildeslash

I don't record. I can't. I have a medical condition called Acute TH (Talentless Hack). Which is worse than having no talent at all. At least that's what the doctor told me. For some reason Guitar Center loves me - they are always saying how good I am (Probably because I look like I am gonna spend a lot of money there). But I am as cheap as they come.

Anyways - since I don't record - I must say I am tempted to buy an Avatar but so far I have not been convinced about the pros/cons of a THD vs. Avatar.

13. mailman

mailman Member

I have nothing but praise for THD products, and there is no question that their 2x12 is top-notch! But, for over-all tone, quality construction and cost, I feel Avatar is the "better buy." Someone earlier mentioned that if you were patient, you could find a "USED" THD cab for $400. Well, you can pick up a "NEW" Avatar cab for more than $100 less. Granted the THD cab is somewhat more compact, but were talking mere inches (THD: 26.5 x 18 x 11 and Avatar: 28.5 x 21 x 12). Avatar also has the advantage of recessed metal side carrying handles, as opposed to the top-mounted rubber handle on the THD. Plus, Avatar permits you to selct from a larger selection of speakers to mix & match. (Of course, these "custom" cabs cost somewhat more than their "special" pre-assembled cabs with popular speaker configurations.)
    Both are excellent cabs. It's more your personal preference and your pocketbook.
    ps. Sometimes the cheap hooker does the same tricks as well as the expensive one!;)

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well put.:AOK

15. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

What makes you think that wood with "Avatar" on it is going to sound any different than your wood with "THD" on it?

If you want to experiment with different tones, swap speakers. Both cabs are reputable and very similar in dimension; I really don't think the cab is going to make much sonic difference.

16. tildeslash

Guys I am very happy with the responses so far. Great forum and great guys. Long Live your choice of cab.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the THD is one of the coolest 2x12's i've ever owned. no doubt.

18. markp

markp Member

I have both and love both,
    THD, tighter,brighter,and more 4X12 like.
    Avatar, looser,warmer,and with the big port in the back really fills the room good.

Bob Burt 2X12 pine,Lively ,sweet,Kinda like the Avatar but better.

I think there is enough differance between THD and Avatar to justify keeping both.
    If you can only have one keep what you got,because they are both good.

19. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I've owned one of each and I think they are both excellent cabs. If I had to pick one, I'd go THD. I just like the tone better.

20. macula56

macula56 Member

i bought an Avatar cab recently and it's a good bang for the buck cab. well made and great looks. but it's a lot brighter than my usual setup. a lot brighter. how bright? maybe too bright. different speakers don't seem to change that either. and i'd like to have a top mounted handle as well. but overall, a good buy.