THD Sized cab for Greenbacks?...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 1968, Jan 17, 2006.

1. 1968

1968 Member

I am thinking about getting a cab made with the same dimensions as the THD 2x12.. Just wondering whether:
    26.5" x 18" x 11" will suit 2 x G12H 30watt speakers?

Open or closed?..

Cheers.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Consider a THD - ?
    Great cabs.

3. 1968

1968 Member

they are quite pricey here- so I was planning on getting one made with the speakers I actually want in them..

4. Dirge

Dirge Member

I have a cabinet that size with 25 watt Greenbacks and it sounds very good, I think G12H30's would sound good as well.

I'd go with an oval port myself.

5. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I have a 2X12 with similar speakers that measures 28"w X 20"H X 12" D. It has a 3" port at the bottom of the back. It was built by Armadillo Amps in Texas. I tried a lot of 2X12's (including the THD) before I bought this one. It has a nice fat sound. I'm very happy with it.

6. 1968

1968 Member

sorry- what is a port? I hear it a lot- but have never bothered looking into it..

7. bigroy

bigroy Member

I've used a Mojotone Bluesbreaker cabinet with my Maz 18 and it sound great. Open back and loaded with Greenbacks. Probably an easy cab to duplicate. An Avatar would be good as well, and they are not pricey. See if Dave can ship one to you.

8. mailman

mailman Member

Sorry, but on Dave's avatarspeakers.com site he expressly states that they do "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING." Too bad, 'cause they're exceptional cabs for the money!

Regarding the "port," refers to the back panel of the speaker cabinet. Some are "closed" meaning solid panel which often "tightens" the sound of the speakers and forces all the sound out the front of the amp; some are "oval ported", meaning there's an oval or rectangular hole or slit in the panel that lets some of the sound out through the back of the amp which allows for a more "airy" fullness to the tones from the amp; and others are "open-back" exposing most all of the back of the amp which really disperses the sound in more directions. They all have their advantages & disadvantages. It's a personal preference thing.

9. brewhound

brewhound Member

No offense intended - but if you don't know what a port is maybe you don't need to have a custom cab built. Just buy one of the existing designs from Avatar or Earcandy (Buzzbomb 2X12 is great stuff) or a similar dealer that has fixed designs but they let you choose the speakers to load it with. The only reason to get something truly custom is if you aren't satisfied with what else is out there, and you really need to understand the features to make these decisions.

To answer your question - a port is essentially a hole. They tend to accentuate low-frequency response depending on design.

10. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Or if you live in a country that sells a small selection of imported cabs at highly inflated prices :rolleyes:

11. 1968

1968 Member

yes thank you.. this is the exact reason I am getting a local guy to build me a cab.. 2x12s sell for the same price as 4x12s here in Australia..

brewhound- The cab hasn’t been ordered yet- I am still making a few decisions- porting being one of them..
    I am thinking about G12H-30s - which apparently have a decent amount of low end- so would porting have any benefit?

12. 1968

1968 Member

13. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Hey CustomGR, give AGGH a try. "watto" makes custom 2x12's similar to THD. There is a new recruit there too named "prelude" who sells marshall style cabs. Give them a try.

Have you considered a convertible back? Like a closed back cabinet but it has several parts to the back so you can choose between open, semi open or fully open backed.

kind of like this http://www.aplusguitars.com/2x12_convertable_cab.htm

14. 1968

1968 Member

Is prelude Labros from ACHILLIES AMPLIFICATION? If so- thats the guy I am buying from.. Watto is in NSW from memory- dont really want to have to pay for shipping..

15. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Yup... thats the guy...

16. 1968

1968 Member

Thanks for that- must have missed your post earlier..
    So the THD has a rectangular port?
    [​IMG]

I am liking this idea the best- what advantages does it have?..