THD Univalve/Bivalve question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Holden, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Holden

Holden Guest

I'm thinking about buying either a Univalve or a Bivalve. My questions are, having never heard either amp.....which should I get....are both punchy with plenty of low end.....are they quiet when played clean.....and finally how is the construction? I play a tele and looking for an amp that will have enough volume for small clubs with a decent amount of headroom. I understand with a lot of gain these amps can be a bit noisy, but if you play them clean does the noise level clean up? Thanks for the opinions and suggestions!

2. markp

markp Member

I loved the uni but there is lack of bass issues and not huge headroom for clean,I think the bivalve would have more.
    Not bad on the noise and built like a tank.

You must live in the sticks like I do(I have bought a bunch of amps with out hearing them.)

3. glynn

glynn Member

Punchy with low end fits the bivalve more than the uni. Top notch construction, and I've had no issues with noise at all.

I love mine, and it just keeps getting better the more you tweek it.

4. Loves_LPs

Loves_LPs Member

I'm glad this topic came up - I've been looking at the BiValve, too. Am I safe in assuming I can get really good cleans, as well as great O/D and sustain (at reasonable volumes) in small venues?

5. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I use mine (Bivalve) with the THD 2x12; no problem at all getting great cleans and O/D in a small venue, and no noise issues whatsoever at gig volume.

The problem of course, if you're familiar with these, is that there's no channel switching. There *are* two inputs; one clean and one higher gain, but the design doesn't allow you to plug into both at the same time, so you can't even do the A/B box thing.

You pretty much have plug into one or the other, and live with that channel for the rest of the night. On the other hand, this amp sounds spectacular in either mode.

/rick

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Rick is right. You have to (horrors) use you guitar volume. Set the overdrive you want then back off for cleans.
    I like the UniValve a lot, very underrated on here.

Best, Pete

7. Holden

Holden Guest

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. A couple of my favorite amps are the Dr. Z Ghia and the VHT Pittbull 45.....would the Bivalve have the low end and the punch that both of these amps have? I'm interested in the ability to change tubes on the fly, but at the same time I want to keep the rich lows that I'm used to. Again thanks for your added suggestions.

8. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

I owned a Uni and tested a Bi.

to me the Bivalve was much more brittle, sterile.
    Way more Gain on the Uni.

changing tube on the fly fries your fingers.
    I ended up with a 6550
    6v6 for Brillllliiiiant cleans (and mmmmooooh overdrive…)

sold it.

no fx-loop…

9. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey guys,
    I've had both and for what you want my friend, I'd recommend the BiValve. Sure the Uni gets more gainy more quickly - it's smaller ( powerwise) and gets to that point quicker! But that's not what I read you were after - go for the Bi if you're going THD - both are great amps but I think the "bigger brother" will get you where you want to be.

Whoever said using the guitar's volume to control cleans was spot on with the THDs, I feel they clean up very very well.

cheers

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

While out of town earlier this year, I stopped into a music store that happened to be a THD dealer. Their salesman told me they quit carrying the BiValve because it didn't sell well. It didn't sound, according to him, like the uni only bigger. It had a tone that, as it turns out, was objectionable to many of their customers (or more likely to one of the salesmen). As a result they only stocked Flexis and Unis. They could get a Bi-Valve if you wanted it, but if he kept telling that story to customers, I don't think many were going to want it. Any bivalve or univalve owners have a take on this? Since the store didn't have the bi in stock I have never heard it.

11. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Mapleneck,

Never heard anything like that! Sounds like there a little idiosyncratic at that store!!!

If using the volume control is way to fly w/ these amps, would'nt seperate volume controls ( say strat neck and bridge) be great.No tap dance just flip the 5 way.

12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

That's almost funny.
    It wasn' suppossed to sound just like the Uni.
    Funny part is that we sold about 700 of those puppies and they're still going. Who is the dealer?

13. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

The store is called "competitors of thd who like to dis thd mart"

:cool: :eek:

14. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

:D

15. glynn

glynn Member

In a heads up, I picked the bivalve over the uni and the flexi. Different strokes and all that I guess.

All of the amps have something different to offer, and still have that 'THD'-ness to them.

16. straightblues

straightblues Member

I owned a Bivalve for about a year and a half. If you can't get good sounds out of it, than you can't get good sounds out of any guitar amp. The problem with the amp is it has too many good sounds but they are shipped with new production cheap tubes and the store owners don't bother experimenting with different tubes. I could see how these amps could be a music stores nightmare. Having customers handeling expensive hot tubes wouldn't be fun!

I bought a large stock of tubes, 96 tubes to be exact (mostly used from amp repair shops for very cheap.) I could get lots and lots of great sounds. The amp itself is voiced for a modern type higher gain sounds which are easy to get. I used it for verge of breakup sounds and blues. This is a lot harder to get out of it, but with a lot of work, they are in there. It takes a lot of trial and error. I learned a whole lot about tubes which was invaluable. But it was hard setteling on any one sound becuase there were so many variables. I spent more time tweeking the amp instead of playing.

Switching on the fly is not really possible. You can do it but it takes about 5 minutes. Certainly not something you are going to be doing between songs. Maybe between sets but not between songs.

I like the amp with EL84's and 6v6 power tubes. With these tubes in the amp, it definitely doesn't put out 30 watts. So depending on which power tubes are in it, the clean headroom can definitely be an issue. For hard rock playing you can use EL34's, 6550 or 6l6's and have enough power.

It is built like a tank and THD offers good support. I ended up selling mine becuase I found a sound I liked a lot through a lot of experimenting with the Bivalve. That sound happens to be Black Face Fender tones. I ended up buying Black Face Fenders and getting the real thing instead of making the Bivalve get them. I still miss the amp. It taught me soo much. I think anyone interested in tube amps should own one at least for a short period of time. Check out more info at univalve.net

17. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Well I am glad to hear that that bivalve info was apparently false. I figured it to be one salesmans opinion but asked just to see. Of the 3 THD's; Flexi, Uni, and Bivalve, the Bi would seem to be the closest to what I think I could get the most use out of, so it bummed me a little to think that guy might know something. Apparently I should have trusted my instincts, after all these years, I think I (should) know salesman banter when I hear it. Still would like to play one in person. Thanks for the info.

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

Well unless you have several power tubes and several preamps tubes to use when you test out the amp, you really won't know what it sounds like. You will know one sound out of thousands that it can do. With the right tubes, you can really make it sound like just about anything. Having said this, I would say it's really a rock amp at heart.

19. Loves_LPs

Loves_LPs Member

Stooopid Question #2: Is there any way you could modify the BiValve in order to be able to footswitch back and forth between using both inputs? I know that in stock form you can't use both inputs simultaneously, but maybe it could be modded to allow this?

20. markp

markp Member

That I believe has been asked before,....No.