THD UniValve or Flexi?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drummondrs, Nov 13, 2005.

1. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

All I can say is I play jazz, fusion and shred. My favourite players are Tomo, Guthrie Govan, Vai and Johnson. I love Ed Degenaro's tone. Just can't decide, which one of these amps to get. I'd have to wait like two months to get the Flexi but I can get the UniValve within a week.

2. samtheman

samtheman Member

Get both :dude

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

They are definitely not the same amp (sounds obvious, you know what I mean). The UniValve is a great amp but you have to to use the tone controls creatively and don't just bung them at noon......I like it with the 6v6 family although Brewbeck (bless him) sent me the most delicious EL37.

Best Pete.

4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

FWIW. I don't like the Uni at all, but I really liked the Flexi that I tried.

5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I gave the Univalve a shot and it lasted a few days. I have been blissfully in love with my Flexi longer than any amp I've ever owned, and I've owned a ton! The Flexi has this big, bold articulate tone I haven't found anywhere else. I love it.

6. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

Hmm... I'll take a shot at differentiating the two amps. They are very different beasts.

The Flexi is Marshallesque. Run it with its boost engaged, and the volume and gain knobs up at about 3:00, and It's got a lot of bottom end thump, with a decent amount of drive and a beautiful chimy top end when you roll the guitar's volume knob down. Compared to the Univalve, it's got more grain and grit to the distortion sound. I love the way it sounds run hot, and when you back off the knobs on the guitar. It's wonderfully responsive to what your hands do with the strings and controls on the guitar.

The Univalve on the other hand, is a very brilliant-sounding amp that can sound brash if you haven't chosen your speakers and cabs carefully. It's very sensitive to the tubes you feed it as well. Preamp tubes with different gain factors can give you widely varying tonal and distortion characteristics. The Uni will develop more gain than the Flexi if you can wind up the amp's volume knob, but it will also sound sweeter with dissonant chords/intervals than the Flexi. The Flexi can be fizzier than the Univalve. But the Uni is not as touch-sensitive as the Flexi, nor does it have as much bass.

Both amps are very revealing of sloppy technique. Of the two, I think the Flexi is easier to come to grips with initially. If I was just playing leads, I think I'd load up the Univalve with hot 12AX7s, but for all-around rock playing, the Flexi is my favorite right now.

7. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Dave hit it right on the head, I have owned both of these amps, the Uni has since been sold, the Flexi although still on the selling block is with me.

I love the Flexi, and the Marshallesque tone is there in spades, a great all around amp that captures your playing style, as well as a variety of tonal options with mixing and matching tubes.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

9. mailman

mailman Member

Your 2-month wait to save up for the Flexi will be well worth it... Absolutely love mine!

10. Glaze

Glaze Member

Vai and Eric Johnson are two of your four favorite players. Save up and get the Flexi because that amp will do what you really want it to do.

Personally I really like the UniValve and it is a very cool amp, but for what I prefer tonally(Marshall style amps) and for all around use at home on up to the club stage the Flexi is my hands down favorite.

I own Flexi serial number 1 and I will not sell this amp. I simply prefer it over most of the high end amps I've ever tried. Tonally it does what I really want it to do. It can be tweaked with tube changes far more than I will ever need because I just use EL-34's in mine.

I'm a vintage Marshall guy and that's the tone I like. Two other newer amps that just blow me away are the Komet 60 and the Victoria 4x10 Bassman. I'm looking forward to trying the Komet 50 because it sounds like what I prefer tonally. The Komet 60 just floors me because it is such an incredible amp, but it's not exactly what I want tonally. The Victoria Bassman just kills tonally, but it's not a high gain machine by itself(sounds great with a Burn Unit pedal though). I'm picky...

Mike

11. mailman

mailman Member

Mike, How'd you ever land Flexi Ser. #1? Wasn't it hard to pry Andy & Ed's fingers from around it? Nice going!:AOK

12. Glaze

Glaze Member

Mailman

It's a LONG story, but here is the short version: Ed DeGenaro had ordered a Suhr guitar from me around the year 1999 and we ended up becoming friends over the phone. One conversation led to amps and we both discovered we were Marshall fanatics. Ed just kept telling me to try a THD Plexi amp that he was using, but at the time it was no longer being made, so I could not buy one except for finding one used on eBay. Ed was not working for THD at the time(he was working for a publishing company if I remember right), but I ended up calling THD to find out about this THD Plexi amp. The owner of THD of course told me they were going to release that model again soon. I ended up becoming a THD dealer, but the Plexi model ended up taking about two years to be released again in a different version which ended up being the Flexi. Ed DeGenaro actually started working for THD before the Flexi was released. I had one on order for two years and waited so long that I decided I wanted serial #1 for myself. The Flexi ended up being exactly what I wanted, so I kept it. The Flexi, the Victoria Bassman, the Komet 60, Dr Z Route 66, and the Bogner Ecstasy are my favorite newer/not vintage amps.

I closed my music store down about three years ago. I'm no longer in the music gear business.

Mike

13. bobtone

bobtone Member

Go for the Flexi... I heard this thing at the NAMM 04 just when it was getting released. Nick Sterling was playing it in the THD booth. When I heard it my ears were in tone heaven. A friend of mine went to the NAMM 03 and was raving about this amp for a year before it was even out.
    I have ser # 25, and I wont sell mine either.

I brought it to a friends place that has several old Marshalls and Princeton amps. He fell in love with it. He said and I Quote "It sounds more like a plexi than my Plexi's".

I loved the Orig EL34's but have switched them out for GT6L6's, and the Tone is HUGE. It is so articulate and responsive to your playing. It will also ferret out junk pedals, it love pedals but it is picky.
    Everyone that has heard it when I play out has to come up and tell me how great it sounds.
    Ok, I'm a Flexi Fanatic.... What can I say.

14. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I bought the Flexi. Should be in my hands on friday. Now to sell a body part...

15. mailman

mailman Member

Ahhh,...smart move! Perhaps offer a leg, but you'll need those arms & hands!:D
    And, Mike, thanks for the history lowdown your #1. I picked up #102 from Dave at Avatarspeakers. com. What a beaut!

16. bobtone

bobtone Member

Way to go!
    When I bought mine I was pretty excited while anticipating its arrival. Never looked back after that.

Oh I have also recorded with it. The producer said my guitar tone was incredible. Oh Ya Baby. Your're gonna love it.

Have fun.

17. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I have not had the pleasure of trying a Komet, but I agree with you on the rest of the amps.

I bought a Grosh from you back in the day when you had your store. It was a great guitar!

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Bobtone brought his Flexi to my house, and we decided to try the GT6L6S's, and suddenly it sounded much better to our ears! With the EL34's it sounded too muddy, IMO.

A great amp - built like a tank. Not for beginners - this amp reveals everthing! You have to be careful with speaker selection for this amp, too. It will reveal any bad speaker choice quickly.

19. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Man, true dat about speaker choice.. I did a rehersal yesterday with my Flexi, played through the house cab at this studio... it was an old Carvin 4-12" with 100 watt Carvin speakers.. oh my god dod that thing sound bad, it transformed my Flexi into a pile of poop.

i like my Bogner 2-12" loaded with a Vintage 30 and a g12h 30 with my Flexi!

20. mailman

mailman Member

Good speaker combo! I have the set up in my Avatar cab.:dude