THD Univalve question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bug0711, Jan 9, 2006.

1. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

I'm about to swap into a Univalve, and would just like to get some input from some of you.

Will this amp (if set up correctly) closely approximate a Marshall amp? If so, can someone give me specifics on this. JCM800 type gain possible (with or without pedals)?

The versatility of the amp seems endless, and I'm sure I'll try all kinds of tube variations, both in the studio and live on occasion. But, due to my current downsizing of my amp collection, I'm most concerned with getting a Marshall type sound out of this class A amp.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. :AOK

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I've had a Uni since 9/2001. Pretty gainey on its own with 12AX7 in V1 and V2, good EL-34. It won't sound *exactly* like any Marshall, being a single-ended amp. But it can be very satisfying to play through. Have fun with all the tube swapping, you can hear a lot a variation. Oh, and don't forget to try lots of different speakers--I'm not joking. It can be very bright, so don't judge it without trying some different cones. Speakers are your last resort tone control before it hits the mic.

3. bug0711

Thanks for the help. I'm always looking for a Marshall type sound in the studio, and am hoping that I can get close with this amp. I'll blend it with a Pod XT, Vox Tonelab or another live amp if needed.
    I'm flush with Vintage 30s ... any luck with them?

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

The coolest gain sound is w/ an EL84, I think. Experiment... it's a cool amp. It does record well w/ a V30... I use one in a Demeter iso box.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

To me it hat a more modern sound than a Marshall. More treble and not as smooth. Not a bad sound, but not very Marshally.

Surprisingly, I found it to be one of the least versatile amps I've ever used.

6. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

I still love mine for "Marshally" tones, but it's all about the cab/speaker combo. My Marshall reissue 4x12 w/gbacks is a perfect fit for my Uni. Lotsa bottom and a slightly attenuated high-end. Love it.

7. bug0711

Hey Sam,
    IYO is it possible to pin down any specific era(s) Marshall with the Univalve?

Thanks for your input, and everyone else as well! :AOK :AOK :AOK

8. Sam Evans

I should be more specific. By "Marshally" I'm referring to an EL34 tone with upper-mid bight and a bit of stringy krang. If I had to pick an era, I'd go with and early/mid 80's JCM800. But with proper knob twiddling, I can a tone similar to my old '72 Super Tremolo. Although without some of the wollop in the low-end. I'd have to have all three amps in the same room for a proper comparison. I'm using a Tele w/a Novax neck and a Fralin 5% overwind in the bridge, and a steel pole 43 in the neck. All this blah, blah, blah on my part has missed the point; the amp sounds like a UNIVALVE. Love it or hate it.

My old 100w Super Trem was my all time fave until it was screwed-up by a less than knowledgable tech. I was hoping the Flexi would be THD's answer to my deviant wishes, but it's the Uni that I've dug the most.

9. bug0711

Thanks Sam, you've been very enlightening.

If you have time, I'd love to hear your amp settings and tube layout for the JCM800 thing.

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

Er, mine doesn't sound like a Marshall whatever I put in it. I do like it with an EL37 (thanks Brewbeck) or 6V6's or 6K6's (courtesy of Dr. Rico - hey I love these guys). To me it's more Tweedy than anything. Nice thru a Blue btw - it gets an English twist!

You want Marshall at a lower volume? Get a Maven Peal Ganesha (not for the "bedroom" though)!

Best, Pete.

11. Sam Evans

I agree with Pete to a degree. The Uni will get similar tones, but won't dupe them. For my preferred EL34 tone I set the bass at 3:00, the treble at 3:00 or 4:00, the volume at 1:00 or 2:00 and the attitude at noon or 1:00. That seems to work well with my guit/cab combo. Not too much compression, and enough thump in the lows.

12. bug0711

Thanks guys, I think I need to try to find and play one this weekend. I'm planning to bring some tubes, a cab and Sams settings with me.

:BEER