• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

THD Univalve question

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
.... For those of you that have experience with this amp, is the volume difference between the hi ( rock ) and low ( roll ) inputs supposed to be a drastic difference? :confused:

I just got one and it sounds great on the rock position and is pretty loud with the larger tubes, but on the roll position I have to crank it all the way up to get a decent volume. I mean, if the volume is at 4 on the rock position, I have to crank it to 10 on the roll position to get the same level of clean volume out....... is that the nature of the beast?

Ed DeGenaro

Supporting Member
.... For those of you that have experience with this amp, is the volume difference between the hi ( rock ) and low ( roll ) inputs supposed to be a drastic difference? :confused:

I just got one and it sounds great on the rock position and is pretty loud with the larger tubes, but on the roll position I have to crank it all the way up to get a decent volume. I mean, if the volume is at 4 on the rock position, I have to crank it to 10 on the roll position to get the same level of clean volume out....... is that the nature of the beast?
Yup, that's how it is, reason being that the low gain input only uses the second half of the first pre-amp tube.

es125luv

Yup, that's how it is, reason being that the low gain input only uses the second half of the first pre-amp tube.
exactly...

if you need cleans with more power... try a kt88 + 12AT7's or a 12AU7... on the rock input... I used this setup for years.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
oh, I see ...... well at least I know it's not broken :)

Thanks. I guess then maybe the best balance for that amp is to run a 12AU7 up front, that way it may have more clean headroom, but then you can still crank it up into a nice crunch. ..... and screw the Roll position altogether.

I'll have to try that combo tomorrow. :confused:

es125luv

and this setup is PEDAL FRIENDLY!!!

... but you can also use a 12DW7... it is half 12AU7 and half of a 12AX7... a cool tube to play with on the Rock Channel....

Whamosi

A good 6550 in the power section will also power up the cleans a bit. The ROCK channel is like a power booster on the signal... but sending it to the power tubes instead of the front of the amp, like a booster pedal.
At least that's the way I like to visualize it for it to make sense to me.