THD Yellow Jackets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jpagey, Aug 11, 2005.

1. jpagey

jpagey Member

THD Yellow Jackets -- do they work well?

2. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I like them. I use them in a Rivera Concert and a DC-5. They wake those amps up well at much more reasonable volume levels. I like them so much my next amp will be EL84 based for sure.

3. Orren

Orren Member

Very well. Best way to add EL84 tubes to an amp not initially designed to fit them. Does no damage to the amp. I've used them in 3 amps so far.

Orren

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

I have them and think they can be great in some amps. Though when some people have said the sound horrible in certain amps, I believe them too.

I run a Carvin X100B head with 2 Yellowjackets and 2 old USA 6L6s. (Not NOS, I got them with the amp when I bought it in 1998 and so they've been used for 7 + ? years.) The amp runs about 70 watts now, but with the Yellowjackets in the middle sockets, it breaks up more like a 40 watt amp. This amp is bassically a 100 watt blackface Bassman circuit with active tone controls. The Yellowjacket/6L6 combination gives it just the right amount of Marshall crunch that I wanted, plus the clean bass depth of 6L6 tubes.

If you have multiple amps to try them in, I'd strongly suggest getting a pair. You would likely find one amp that they either improve the sound or give you a different sound that you want, or a better sound for a particular volume level.

5. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

YES! VERY WELL... there are other outfits that make a similar product that I would like to know about though... But the YJ's are real...

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

Good question: Are the similar products by Groove Tubes and Ruby any different? AFAIK, they copied the concept from THD who did it first.

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've used YJ's in a Marshall DSL with a good degree of success. I used two at first, then ran the full quad, liking the results. I recommend them for taming 100 watters and addign chime to thecleans. I only recently sold my YJ's because I purchasd an el84 based amp.

8. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

i had the groove tube version and they sounded really cool, i used it with a reissue 50 watt marshall plexi. It sounded really good but it cut the power on the amp a little too much so i sold both to a gentleman who says he loves it.

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

Dollar for dollar ... I have a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp that cost me $200 used. I use one side of it with 2 of the four EL84s pulled (I use 2 JJs at 40mA). I get a great snappy punch from this that can make the distortion channel of any preamp sound awesome. The clean channels sound poppy (ie. Vibrolux-ish) and you never get a real clean, but I'm good with that.

The best thing is that you can flip a switch to bridge the two channels and you go to 40 watts. Add more tubes and you're up to full 50/50 (so they say).

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The YJs were designed for THD by a guy that now markets his own version as BlackJacks IIRC. They work well but don't reduce the volume of the amp a lot and do change the tone a bit.

11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Dear Bob,
    This is absolute BS. I know the guy worked w/ THD for a while, but did NOT "design" the Yellowjackets.

12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Also he stopped working Black Jacks since quite a while.
    And they were not safe to use to begin with. I'm not talking blowing amp your amp, but current running through the chassis when they short.

13. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

From my experience it's very amp dependant. Did NOT like them in my 78 JMP MV. Too mushy on the low end. Love them in Blackface Bassman, and somewhat less so in a BF Super Reverb.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I stand corrected, I was quoting from memory on his website. Somebody lied on the internet?:eek:

15. LHakim

LHakim Member

The Blackjacks ceased production a while ago with very few sold--the left over stock was in Japan the last I'd read. As to the YJ's this is one product where the adage, "YMMV" really applies. I too have had great results with them in some vintage low-medium gain amps but don't like 'em in either tweed deluxe type amps or modern high gain amps where, in my experience and to my ears, they have a tendency to mush out on the low end and become overly grainey and brittle in the mids and high end simultaneously. That said the chimiest amp I've EVER heard was my SF Vibrolux Reverb with the old Eminence blue-frame alnicos and a set of YJ's installed. Just a beautiful touch-sensitive tone.

16. Orren

Orren Member

Just to show you how opinions differ, I've used them almost exclusively in high gain amps with a 2x6L6/5881 and 2xYJ configuration, and I find they add an excellent Brit/Marshall-esque "bite." Go figure. :)

Orren

17. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I was gonna say that my fave usage of the li'l buggers is in 4 power tube amps and mixing them with the big bottles. This way I get the punch and bottom from the big boys and the chime and sustain from the 84s.

18. LHakim

LHakim Member

Orren--I've only used my YJ's with dual output tube amps. Using them with in conjunction with 6L6's which would keep the bass firm and the mids and highs from getting out of hand might explain the different results you get.