• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The $100 Tele project - You'll never think about building guitars the same way again

shark_bite

I'm sure a few of you have seen this already if you're over on the TDPRI, but for those who haven't, I thought I'd post this here. I don't get on there very often, but I did yesterday and noticed that they're running a really slick contest - a build-a-Tele-for-$100 contest. All the dudes doing it are doing some neat stuff, but this one really stands out:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/148314-%24100-telecaster-challenge-scattesquire.html

This one in particular stands out because everything is handmade pretty much. No CNC, no sourcing of the body/neck/hardware... it's all being done in a pretty low-tech shop (no lights and only one power outlet) with a minimal set of tools and a TON of creativity. So far he's got just about everything built already except for the electronics and some of the hardware, and he's only spent a grand total of $0.72 (wood cost isn't factored in, but I doubt the slab he's using cost that much anyway). Pretty cool stuff....

Check out some of the other builds in progress here - there are a few others doing the challenge: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/

Shamus

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome,,, wonderful work and creativity.

Should rename it the..

Recessioncaster challenge!

Broken Cord

Awsome! Makes one think why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a guitar. The true wood sheding.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
gee to think all one needs to do to build a Tele for $100 is become a luthier. :bow
Materials $100
Tools $10,000
Time - weeks/months?
Skill - More than most of us

Calling the finished guitar a "$100" tele... PRICELESS!

shark_bite

Materials $100
Tools $10,000
Time - weeks/months?
Skill - More than most of us

Calling the finished guitar a "$100" tele... PRICELESS!
Clearly you didn't read the thread... there's no way that guy is using $10k of tools, not even close. Only a couple of them are power tools. And he started building guitars 3 months ago I guess - this particular build on Friday night.

But skill? Yes... there I'd agree. More than most of us indeed.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Clearly you didn't read the thread... there's no way that guy is using $10k of tools, not even close. Only a couple of them are power tools. And he started building guitars 3 months ago I guess - this particular build on Friday night.

But skill? Yes... there I'd agree. More than most of us indeed.
Ok 10k was exaggerated... I was kidding around.

However I don't own a router, a jig saw, a circular saw, a hack saw, a vice, a dremel, all those clamps, a thread die, a workshop or a real workbench. Kind of a large outlay for me to try and duplicate his work. And even if I did own all that I couldn't have done what he did in 6 months or 6 years. Incredible job but still not a $100 guitar IMO.

shark_bite

Ok 10k was exaggerated... I was kidding around.

However I don't own a router, a jig saw, a circular saw, a hack saw, a vice, a dremel, all those clamps, a thread die, a workshop or a real workbench. Kind of a large outlay for me to try and duplicate his work. And even if I did own all that I couldn't have done what he did in 6 months or 6 years. Incredible job but still not a $100 guitar IMO.
Doesn't it make you want to buy all that stuff and try though? Man. I'm not kidding... 75% of my reaction is awe... the other 25% is, "I should be able to do that too, right?"

drewl

Will it intone when he's done?
God, if I built a guitar out of planks of wood it would probably be ugliest POS you'd ever seen!
Let alone the neck.....that takes time, and for the amount of time he's putting into it, I could buy all the parts and put one together!

dumbell78

Thats it Im calling John Suhr and asking for a discount on my order:argue

I agree that is some crafty work but I dont think his time and effort could be labeled as $100 worth. Way to go for such a cool idea.

Steven_K

Yeah, I don't think the point of the original idea was to count every hour you work at the $50 an hour or more a professional luthier would charge. I think its awesome and can't wait to see the finished guitar.

studiodunn

Platinum Supporting Member
That guy rules.

All you Debbie Downers who feel the need to question the cost after reading that thread are a joke. Are you really adding up his tools and time?

Talk about missing the point.

Jerryr

I've got most of the tools but there's no way I could dream up all those jigs and techniques he using. That's skill. It would be the equivalent me trying to play guitar like Scotty Anderson :)

Great job man!!!!

matte

I'm sure a few of you have seen this already if you're over on the TDPRI, but for those who haven't, I thought I'd post this here. I don't get on there very often, but I did yesterday and noticed that they're running a really slick contest - a build-a-Tele-for-$100 contest. All the dudes doing it are doing some neat stuff, but this one really stands out:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/148314-%24100-telecaster-challenge-scattesquire.html

This one in particular stands out because everything is handmade pretty much. No CNC, no sourcing of the body/neck/hardware... it's all being done in a pretty low-tech shop (no lights and only one power outlet) with a minimal set of tools and a TON of creativity. So far he's got just about everything built already except for the electronics and some of the hardware, and he's only spent a grand total of $0.72 (wood cost isn't factored in, but I doubt the slab he's using cost that much anyway). Pretty cool stuff....

Check out some of the other builds in progress here - there are a few others doing the challenge: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/
what a baddass! even his documentation is thorough.