The 145th Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Lone Bear, Apr 29, 2019.

1. CaptainCrunch137

CaptainCrunch137 Member

Tbh I just dont get horse racing, unless you gamble. I went to one in person and the race lasts about a minute. And then you have to sit there for 45-60 minutes until the next race starts... I love racing but horse racing has to be the most boring thing to watch unless you gamble.

QRSS likes this.
  2. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

Don't forget the drinking. :beer

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  3. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

Chief steward Borden said, “We had a lengthy review of the race.” Indeed. More Borden: “We determined that the seven horse (Maximum Security) drifted out and impacted the progress of the number one, in turn, interfering with the 18 and 21 (Bodexpress, the longest shot in the field at 71-1). These horses were all affected, we thought, by the interference. Therefore we unanimously determined to disqualify number seven (Maximum Security) and place him behind the 18, the 18 being the lowest-placed horse that he bothered, which is our typical procedure.”

CheckSix likes this.
  4. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Well that was the fastest $400 gain, then subsequent loss I’ve ever experienced.

5. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

if i bet 100, i’d be pissed. i only went twenty so not so bad.

katuna likes this.
  6. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Think about the bettors who tore up or trashed their "losing" tickets before the ruling! I'd be doubly pissed...

7. DV52

DV52 Member

Total ********. Is there a rule that says once you are at the rail you have to stay there ?

8. jekylmeister

You should take up craps........

NtS and katuna like this.
  9. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

They don't have a typical procedure it's never happened before.

10. Lone Bear

Lone Bear Member

There is a rule that states that he would have had to have been clear of the other horse to move into that path. He wasn't and nearly caused a potentially significant accident. The safety of the horses and riders is the reason.
    In a race on January 31 (Gulfstream Park, race 1) a jockey made a similar error and caused an accident that took 2 other horses out of a race of 9 horses and sending one of those jockeys to the hospital. Imagine the catastrophe if the other horse and rider had fallen near the front of the derby field with 17 horses bearing down on them. Fortunately, with a lot of luck, such an incident was avoided.

As for typical procedures, when a horse is DQed for interference with another horse, the DQed horse is placed behind the one he interfered with and all others are moved up. This is very routine in the sport even though it hadn't happened in the Kentucky Derby.

ChrisVereb, DV52, The_Whale and 4 others like this.
  11. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Borden is exactly correct. Like it or don't but the call is exactly the right call.

12. CheckSix

Thank you for posting this, so I didn't have to. The call to DQ Maximum Security was right on the mark. That jockey screwed up, big time.

Lone Bear likes this.
  13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Just a shame, this had to happen in the #1 primo race of the season. I feel bad for people who tore up their tickets - but if you know your stuff, you know something is likely to be done.

Glad I didn't build my day around it. Oof.

CheckSix likes this.
  14. CheckSix

I've been watching horse racing for 46 years. I just wanted to share this, in case some here have never seen this alternate footage of the 1973 Preakness. Watch what is called by those of us that appreciate this kind of thing.... it's called... "The Move". Entering the 1st turn on the outside, watch the #3 horse pass the field starting at the entry to turn 1 and had the lead before exiting turn 2.

I've never seen this done by any other horse, ever. This is the most amazing outburst by a horse and jockey I've ever seen.

As explained in the Paulick Report...
    "The race began as expected, with Big Red dropping back to last in the six-horse field and surely settling in for a sweeping move late in the race. Jockey Ron Turcotte had other ideas.

“The pace was slow, and my horse was running,” Turcotte recalled afterwards.

The chart caller described what Turcotte did next: “(Secretariat) was guided outside two rivals entering the clubhouse turn and responding when Turcotte moved his hands on the reins, made a spectacular run to take command entering the backstretch.”

In a lightning quick move, Secretariat swept by the field on the first turn.

“I wanted to slow him down a little bit, but he was determined to go on,” Turcotte said. “So I figured, well, he's won on the lead before, and if that's the way he wants to do it, I guess I ain't going to argue with him.”

George Cusimano, who was aboard frontrunner Ecole Etage, said it sounded like a freight train was coming up on his outside. After seizing command, Secretariat was hand-ridden to victory in the stretch and left no room for debate."

This is what got me excited about horse racing and 46 years later, has never failed to get me emotional.

DV52, Lone Bear and The_Whale like this.
  15. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

the two/three times a year i go to the track, i still use the nyra app so that wouldn’t have happened to me. pity the fool( if any) who tossed a ticket before official results. :nuts

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  16. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

#1 rule ... hold your ticket 'till results official.

17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Couple of the guys I practiced law with, owned racing horses. By golly what a fast way to hemorrhage money away. But it got the attention of a certain kind of legal customer. Sure cannot deny that.

Lone Bear likes this.
  18. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

Will Maximum Security win its appeal and be named the winner of the 2019 Kentucky Derby?

Yes +600

No -1200

19. jekylmeister

It is my understanding that there is no one/place to appeal it to. The Stewards rule.

20. DV52

DV52 Member

I stand corrected. I heard horse owner on the radio this morning explain the rules .