The 15" Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leodiditright, May 29, 2008.

1. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

Who's playing 15" speaker cabs??? please tell us about why did you choose that size, which cabinet brand and speaker, etc...

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Victoria Regal II here with a 15". I absolutely love the 15" sound.

3. 6789

6789 Member

juke 1210 - one 12" two 10" and an extension cab with one 15". the 15 is a ceramic jensen the others are alnico jensens.

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

I built a single 15" detuned cabinet with a JBL D130F speaker. I cut the aluminum dust cap out of it and installed a paper one in its place. It was a fantastic sounding speaker cabinet. It was the size of a refrigerator though. LOL It was 24" wide X 16" deep and 36" tall. I only had a condo that I could play in at the time and it just didn't match the furniture. The guy I sold it to called me back after he had if for 6 months to tell me how happy he was with it.

5. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

This 1966 Ampeg Gemini II has a 15-in. Weber Michigan with California Bass Cone. It sounds big, full, round and rich, and still has plenty of high end. All American tubes don't hurt nor does the Fender CS Nocaster reissue.

[​IMG]

6. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Had 15" detuned cab with EV SRO. The Voice Of God. Thunder and sweetness.

Had 15" combo with Weber California. Great sound. A little slow to respond, but great for laying behind beat and the swing had mass...you know? Like inertia hard to overcome but once in play...LOOK OUT! So the swing is a bit wider...a bit slower...more JUICY...like a big-bottomed woman. A comfy ride.

DS

7. hilikus989

hilikus989 Member

i put a deposit down for a victoria 35115 today does that count:)?

i believe it has an eminence legend 15 in it.

its funny about 15s. seems like folks either dont like them at all, or really love their unique character.

i love the way they push out the low frequencies and make the top so airy while delivering just the right amount of smooth mids.

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

That Gem-II was my very first amp. Couldn't get it to rock at all, totally clean. And it was too quiet for dance halls and gyms. It's really more of an accordian and jazz amp.

But then I had the wimpy output from my Hagstrom II driving it. Humbuckers would have gotten some grind out of it. I traded it in on a '65 Twin. Too clean by 2. I couldn't get outa Cleanville. Kids never learn.

9. digthosetubes

Right on !

10. digthosetubes

My Gem II is just for fun. It has a good sound. The sound is unique. Makes it special. You go where it take you. Just like good music. It's a great ride without leaving home.

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Me likey a lot!!

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I'd love to play one now, now that I can actually play. When you suck as a kid, you don't want such an honest, clean amp exposing your sloppy moves.

I remember it as a super mellow amp. I always had the BRIGHT asterisk on to try and get some clank out of it. I do remember the reverb was deep, warm and heavenly. And that tremelo was awesome.

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Jeez, would someone PLEASE just make the joke so we can get on with our lives? The suspense is killing me! Cryin' out loud, I'll do it -

Yeah, I'm a member of the 15" club. And I ALSO have a 15" speaker.

Badda bing. Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Actually, I do have a Val King 1-15 cab with a Jensen ceramic in it. Still new, some breaking in needs to happen, but the richness of it so far is lovely. I am thinking the Juke into it is the right combination, but I don't think anything would suck. I got it after hearing a Heritage Kenny Burrell 1-15 combo that knocked my socks off.

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'll bring up the low end of the food chain and put my 2ยข in for my Peavey Delta Blues. What an amp! At one jam I had it cranked up on the clean channel using a Les Paul. I got lots of compliments on the tone, some said even sounded better than some boutiques that were on stage as well :D

15" speakers have a mojo all their own!

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

No cabs, but playing through 2 15" combo amps now. Emi Big Ben speakers in both, the Sewell Wampus Cat and an Ampeg Gemini II.

Funny thing about these speakers. I had this feeling for years that 15" speaker amps might work best for me. First time I plugged into such an amp (a tweed pro clone), realized my instincts were right on target. The Wampus Cat, with that wonderful Big Ben speaker, is number one. A swampy, fat kind of sound that impresses me every time I hear it.

16. digthosetubes

Reverb and tremelo are as good as Bernadette Peters' several cleavages. Use to click on the bright switch when I got it but then have found the sound balances out somehow with the treble up to about three o'clock. A mellow, full, round sound -- but the highs are there. And the bright switch with this speaker can sound ice picky.

The amp is constructed so that the open back speaker compartment is isolated from the rest of the amp. Really a fine piece of work. And back in 1966 when this amp rolled down the assembly line, Ken Fischer worked there.

17. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Used to use an old Marshall Bass Cab with a Celestion 15" AND two 12"'s in it (swapped out the 2 10"s). Plug in, crank it up and "feel the breeze"! Wish I still had it...

18. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I've got an old Vega Tube amp that has a 54 Jensen 15" in it. I'm working on it now. When I get it up and running again I'll post pictures. Should be a pretty cool amp.

19. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I had a custom cab,22" high with a 15" speaker baffle, made by www.mathercab.com for my Deluxe Reverb.The bigger cabinet along with the 15 make this amp,an original '65,sound sweeter, more touch sensitive, with better projection and cabinet resonance. The speaker is a reconed '68 Jensen C15N.[​IMG]

20. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member