The 17 year-old me wants this tone! (Warning, NOFX content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mambomonkey, Jun 2, 2015.

1. mambomonkey

mambomonkey Member

I know NOFX's tone may not be the most talked about on here, but the 17-year-old me playing in punk rock bands was obsessed with El Hefe's lead... I'd still be interested if anyone here knew what made it. Just kinda rude, compressed and saturated...

Example of a solo here at 1.57:

Thanks!

Aquinas likes this.
  2. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

EMG-loaded Telecaster into Mesa Mk3 into halfback cabs. Probably mic'd the EV, maybe the Vintage 30. Compressed in the mix. Pretty classic Mesa Mark-series tone.

Basically, active singles into Mesa MK-series. LOUD. Simple recipe.

Hefe has a very simple rig. And AWESOME TONES.

Rhythm tones are Les Paul (Duncan JB, in all likelihood) into similar rig. Probably doubled with a Marshall. Melvin uses a wah and Big Muff ("The Brews") occasionally.

The scooped, bright, and dirty bass sound does a lot to make that band sound the way they do. P-bass into Ampeg, probably supplemented with a DI signal and run through some form of tube compressor (LA-2A, if I had to guess). Danelectro bass on Shoes and later, usually.

NoFX has awesome tones and songs. As does/did Rancid, Bad Religion, and a whole lot of other 90's "pop" punk acts. The blooze guys could even appreciate said tones, yet most have never heard 'em. Pity!

3. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Yup. Nailed it. That whole era of Fat/Epitaph bands had great tones and production IMHO.

Aquinas likes this.
  4. Aquinas

:agree

+1000

This song has a few of my favorite "slightly f'd up, yet classic" sounds in it - and the production is just plain stunning, better than most mainstream stuff from that era (whole album was like $30k, too):

5. JerEvil

Matt Freeman is a monster. Oddly enough when I was playing bas in a ska punk band I got a lot of comparisons to him. Probably because I was a lead guitarist playing bass with a pick…

Here's one of my favorites from back then

Aquinas likes this.
  6. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Tele into a JMC 800

7. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

+1 i playd bass back in the days when i listend to bands like bad religion, NOFX etc. damn i am old -.- - anyway i had no idea about good tone and today i know it was pretty solid and good sounding.

Aquinas likes this.
  8. Aquinas

AFAIK Hefe has never used 800's for lead, live or studio. "She's Gone" sounds like textbook Mesa, not JCM! Melvin uses'm for rhythm tones, along with the Mesas. Hefe started using EVH3's a couple of years ago live, but he pretty much sounds the same as he always has - still using the EMG-loaded teles. Mel has custom ESP's these days. Mike plays Danos live, but all sorts of stuff on the last few albums.

(I really like NoFX)

spacefiddle likes this.
  9. JerEvil

Here is using Friedmans now and Eric is using Mark V's or at least that's the last I read. I'm just glad they are still PLAYING!

Been listening to the Dwarves all day!

Aquinas likes this.
  10. mattg2123

mattg2123 Member

NOFX, man no talent
    I go see them play each time they tour and it's like better than Christmas. There should be a public holiday called each time they play. Simple set ups relying mainly on punk rawk to get the job done.

Aquinas likes this.
  11. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

I really love all the above mentioned stuff. Don't think they get enough respect. Some really great tunes and solid albums the whole way through from NOFX, Rancid, Bad Religion, etc. I'd love to get some of the Rancid rhythm guitar tones but don't find it to be easy to cop.

Aquinas likes this.
  12. Aquinas

:agree :rockin

Rancid typically uses a lot of very "classic" rhythm tones, but also some oddball ones - not nearly as straightforward as NoFX. Typically P-90's (SG?) into Marshalls, but both of'm like to use all sorts of guitars (Strats, Les Pauls, Teles, Gretches, and so on) in the studio. Live for years it was JCM800 boosted for Lars and a Mesa Recto (with a couple of fuzzes?) + Gretsch for Tim (when he actually plays the guitar rather than using it as a prop), but that is far from certain today. Last time I saw'm it was still SG/EpiLP for Lars and the Anni for Tim, but that was years ago!

Rancid has some of the coolest mid-gain tones ever on Life Won't Wait and ...And Out Come the Wolves, IMHO! The general recipe, as far as I can tell, was "get a classic rock sound, then f'it up a bit"...

Oh, and good freaking luck trying to get Matt's studio bass tone! It is a multi-parallel setup he and the producer came up with on Wolves, and it is beyond convoluted [by TGP standards]! Live AFAIK he's always used SVT's into 8x10's, but it doesn't have the same feel.

JerEvil likes this.
  13. JerEvil

Thank the MAKER there are some punks up here at TGP!

Shameless plug, if you like Ramones, Misfits, Dickies and Offspring check out my band Cherry 2000 from Las Vegas. We don't have fancy production but I think we are a lot of fun. We also don't sell music. It's free for all.

Aquinas likes this.
  14. Aquinas

I will check you out! Always looking for fun music - people take themselves way too damn seriously these days, even (maybe especially) when they are trying to be "irreverent"!

I'm sick of going to see or hearing "punk" bands these days, since it has been a very long time since I saw one that didn't just "miss the point". It seems to me that today "punk" means specifically either cookie-cutter wanna-be-Good-Charlotte "pop punk" or whatever-passes-for-"hardcore"-these-days. None of these people seem to remember that The Clash, Dead Kennedies, The Dickies, Fugazi, Husker Du, The Minutemen, Swingin' Utters, or any of the other "oddball" classic punk bands existed - they all believe they have to have some specific SOUND that defines the music, and they stick to it. To me, "punk" was never about the style, it was and is about the attitude and camaraderie!

When I lived in LA I played with a self-proclaimed "Celtic Punk" band that was a lot more fun than the usual, but even then the band ended up killing the feel (and JOY) of the music with self-conscious, pretentious ********. I only have a few demos from those days, but I listen to them now and have a bit of regret that I moved away from playing "punk" as much - though I try to keep the attitude, in whatever I do! Speaking of [relatively crappy] demos, here is one I dug up:

15. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

Thanks for that. I always attempt to use humbuckers bridge pickup and overdrive my amp - but I can never quite get it right. I'm sure it's probably more playing technique than anything. But it's those mid-gain tones that you mention that I love.

16. Aquinas

Yeah, the "stereotype" punk sound is pretty much only good for stereotypical punk...

:crazyguy

Nah, bridge 'bucker into JCM800 never did anyone wrong. That being said, Rancid used a lot of non-"PUNK" tones on the 90's records, and they never played with as much gain as was usual for the "Cali" thing. If you are looking to get more Rancid-like tones, think 60's britpop, not other 90's punk. A lot of AC30's and Strats on the studio stuff! Oh, and that cool P90-into-tweed thing on "The Wolf"...

Actually, now that I think of it, it was only the not-quite-as-successful bands that did use the now-stereotypical tone - the No Use For A Names and Ataris of the world (not that there is anything wrong with either, just they weren't as successful as NoFX or Rancid). Even Warren in The Vandals used non-punk tones - hell, his main tone is essentially a mid-period-VH-style "brown sound", more shreddy and crazy dynamic than raw! FWIR, he uses Soldano SLO's and superstrats or Music Man Axis's.

Speaking of 90's punk, and being from Texas, here is another favorite that brings back memories:

17. Clifton82

Clifton82 Member

^ Also being from Texas - I loved the Impossibles - but doesn't anyone remember HAGFISH?~

Aquinas likes this.
  18. b80

b80 Member

Hooray, punk rock!