• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The $500 Ibanez Tube Screamer.

pitseleh

I thought they were pretty overpriced, too, until I heard one.
Huh? This can't be the only hand-wired Tubescreamer-type pedal. I mean, a good third of the overdrive pedal market seems to be devoted to Tubescreamer-type pedals, most of which do not cost anywhere near $350. How is this any better than any other hand-wired TS-type pedal?

Ed G.

I'd like to see someone do a double-blind test of the hand-wired TS and any comparable clone. I think that price tag is rubbish, but hey, there's a sucker born every minute, as P.T. Barnum once said.

SiloScience

I've often wondered if there really is anyone who can distinguish a p2p vs pcb device. Or hand wired vs uh .. not hand wired (?).

PixMix

Gold Supporting Member
Well, I can distinguish between shoe box vs. no shoe box, if that counts.

SiloScience

Wait, so you're saying that the uber cool metal box doesn't make the mojo mo betta?

Of course it'll sound better with that .. that's just common sense!

Uttsa matta you face, huh?

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Maybe Keeley got hired by MF...... $500 bucks would be about right after you figure the MF markup....

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Just wait about a year and you will be able to score one for $200. I bought a TS 808 last Summer at GC for $180 bucks, only to find out I could have bought one on Evilbay for $100. DOH!!!!

That is a sweet ass looking pedal and box I must admit but no way Im paying that much. That pedal cant sound any better then many of the botique builders here on TGP

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey, we need to get Analogmans input on this pedal!! I see its equiped with a 4555d IC chip. Whats the story on that? Anyone? If its a better chip, then I can see people doing mods to their old TS pedals.

sutherland

It's a decent Tubescreamer and definitely is much more balanced in the EQ and smoother in the higher gain settings than its stock 808 and TS9 cousins. One thing to keep in mind, the pedal is a touch darker in voicing....this could be attributed to the turret board assembly.

I like my Analogman True Vintage modded Maxon OD-9 much better!

itkindaworks

They're probably just trying to get in on the boutique market where everyone is touting their handwired tubescreamer type pedal.

Last edited:

falconer

I've often wondered if there really is anyone who can distinguish a p2p vs pcb device. Or hand wired vs uh .. not hand wired (?).
Penn and Teller did one of their eps of "Bullsh*t!" on Showtime, detailing the organic food industry.

They sliced the same banana in half, then into sample-sized slices. Two plates; one labeled "organic', the other "non-organic". Same banana.

Approximately 80% claimed the organic banana tasted better.

Steven

I havent tried that one but I would be surprised if it sounds very much different from all the other tubescreamers out there... and I love my Monte Allums modded TS9 but I´m not even shure I could pick out my pedal in a blind test.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
The TS808HW is a fantastic sounding pedal.

Try one. See what you think about the smoother, darker nature of this pedal over the other TS offerings out there.

I love it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom