The '58 to '60 Gibson Les Paul Standards

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Anyone know of a site where some of the classic Gibson 'Bursts' are showcased for all of us to enjoy? Thanks

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

LP forum has section with tons of pictures. I am a member over there but I very rarely ever visit. So I don't know if you have to be a member to look at those pages or not.

3. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

buy the book, "Beauty of the Burst"

4. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You can see the pics at the LPF with a free membership. You can't follow the political discussion backstage or sell stuff that way (need to pay for that) but most of the information there is in the free parts. Not only are there a lot of pics in the gallery section, but there's forever new guitars being showcased in the vintage section, plus Tom's "Burst Pic of the Week" that often shows some pretty incredible stuff. If those guitars are your interest, that's where you're going to find the highest concentration of experts. But be careful, the illness is contagious...

6. rastus

rastus Member

That LPF is a great source. Probably the best way is to just buy one that I have consigned to me-It's a 59, real nice, and comes from a famous player-expensive, though...

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Ummmm,
    Dude, you can't drop a "burst bomb" like that without pics... It just ain't right.

:worthless

8. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

''Beauty of the Burst." Got it.

I was thinking more like 'footage' of people showing and playing their Burst Les Paul. Would be good if there were something like 'Get that Classic Fender Sound' by Jim Weider only this time for Les Pauls.

Thanks all!

9. Cdn Cracker

Cdn Cracker Member

The "Beauty of the Burst" is like coming to Jesus....I totally agree, it is the pinnacle of 58-60 LPs.

I think it is a bit hard finding decent photos or videos of people actually playing them. Not only are they far too valuable to play live, but stage lighting won't bring out the true beauty of the tops.

10. Deuce007

Deuce007 Member

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

That LPF Registry is the crack cocaine of gutar sites.

12. rastus

rastus Member

I hate to be that way-but I do have a link to photos that were taken in a pro environment, for interested parties. The owner is a very well known guitar player-If he agrees, I will post it for sale in the emporium later this week-his privacy is the issue-let me see what I can do-I bet I can post a few-the guitar is one of the best bursts I have ever heard. And I bet you have heard it too. I actually have had a few bursts through my hands this year-this one is 10 times over better than any of them, truly phenomenal.

13. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Here's REO Speedwagon's Gary Richrath wailing away on one of his two 1960 'bursts sometime in the late 70s (complete with some disturbingly creepy close-up footage of lead singer Kevin Cronin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwUz_3HYGXE&feature=related

Richrath with REO again in 1985 (lots of Les Paul footage in this one and some pretty tasty guitar work at the 1:55 and 8:00 minute marks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXXYreziwHQ&feature=related

I sure do miss Richrath's playing. I know he's still alive but, damn, he's pretty much fallen off the face of the earth. Even his web page hasn't been updated since 2002.

14. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Awww Man!!
    Your killing me!!

I understand the privacy concern. I'm actually not that interested in who owns it actually...unless it's pearly gates... I just have a deep love for the old bursts. I consider them art of the highest standard. If there is a way to see the pics, I would really appreciate it.

15. frank62

frank62 Member

Gary is in Urbana, Illinois working as a janitor. All the Lesters are gone.

16. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

So I was just reading this while Radiohead's "Videotape" was playing in the background... and the minute I got to "Pearly Gates" Thom Yorke wails out the words.... "pearly gates."

That was really weird.

Anyway, that LP registry thing is crazy - I just tried finding a friend's old guitar, he was telling me all about it yesterday. A 58 that came from the factory with humbuckers (it's not in the registry though). Naturally, that would be a pretty rare guitar and worth a small fortune. He traded it in the 70s for an L-5 that he still has, though - and since he's a player and not a collector, I don't think he's losing sleep over it. Except maybe when he needs extra cash...

17. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

That's a damn shame. I don't know what else to say.

18. frank62

frank62 Member

Yes it is. He is and was central Illinois' biggest guitar hero. Looks like the guys from REO would help him out. I followed that man all the way from a band called Feather Train. They were before REO. First guy I knew who used vintage Lesters and Plexi stacks.

19. soulohio

soulohio Member

is there a story there?

20. frank62

frank62 Member

^Yes, there is and I am not at liberty to discuss it. I love the guy and wish him well.