The $600 amp challenge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleman, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Here's the scenario. You have $600 to buy a new amp. YOu will be buyuing it from one of the major retail chains (GC, sam Ash, etc...) or through mail order. What would you buy and why.

This quest is born out of my 14 yr. old nephew's search for a new amp. He mowed lawns all Summer to save for it and that is his budget for an amp. He just bought a new Epiphone LP custom to play through it. He likes AC/DC, Zeppelin, ...classic rock!

So gang let's see what you guys come up with. Curious if they match with the recommendations I gave him.

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Buy a Blues Junior (or whichever one has the 12") and get a Scumback H55-8HP from Jim at Southbay Ampworks.EL 84Tubes and Pre-Rola tone-should do the job...

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Get him a Crate Powerblock for $99, a Bad Monkey, and a decent 2x12 off ebay.

Done.

4. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

I agree with Rock Johnson

Powerblock, bad monkey, Avatar 2x12

5. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Go pick up a Crate V16. Perfect for classic rock and at $399 you got some money leftover. Or go with the V32 for I think $599.00
    Another thought though I haven't tried them myself is the Vox AC30CC for $599.00

Good Luck

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well assuming were taliking new I'd "normally' say A Crate V32 palomino. Ive got to wonder though if an all tube amp it the "right" choice for a younger player. Perhaps the reliability of SS might be an important factor to consider. In which case I'd have to go with a Peavey Bandit or maybe a Vox Valvetronix.... just a thought.

7. anibas

anibas Member

Until recently,Laney's LC30II and VC30 amps would have fit this bill nicely,but they've both gone up in price lately.Still worth looking for a used one at one of these stores instead of buying a solid state amp,IMO.

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Vox CC. He will have tone that rivals anything at any price. Jaw dropping tones, both clean and dirty.

9. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm with Tag on this one. For a $600 budget and buying from a major chain, Vox AC15CC all the way.

11. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Vox Valtronix 2-12" Great tones, tons of options no need for pedals, lots of bells & whistles to keep a youngin' occupied. It takes maturity to appreciate the singleness and sophistication of a nice tube amp..go SS and he won't have to worry about nuthin' but playin'!!

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

13. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Cube 60. No tubes to worry about, pretty solid, compact and easy to get different sounds without pedals and all. Usable bedroom sounds but still able to get real loud. All important characteristics for a younger player coming up. And he can gig with it.

Of course a Cube 30 would work too. Then he'd almost have enough change for a Mexican Tele or Strat.

hunter

14. enditol

enditol Member

+1 on the Cube. Line 6 would work too.

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

My exact thoughts on the choice of an amp. I'd recommend the Vox Valvetronix AD100VT. I think it would be the best bang for the buck.

16. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Tech 21 Trademark 60
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey Valveking 2x12
    Vox AC15CC

17. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

The AD100VT is the one I was thinking of.

18. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Reality check: Is a 14 year old kid who took three months to save up $600 for an amp really going to be able to deal with the inevitable tube-amp maintenance issues? Especially if the money has to come out of his own pocket?

I'd suggest putting $300 into a good-sounding SS amp and leaving the rest for pedals, strings, maybe even a few lessons.

For reasons that are irrelevant to this thread, I did a search for such an amp and came up with the Peavey Studio Pro II. To my ear it sounds much better than the Fender, Marshall and Vox amps at around the same price point.

The amp should, by itself, cover all of the sonic territory your nephew is interested in and have some left over for when his tastes change. It's compact, a reasonably easy carry at 34 pounds, and can keep up with a drum kit. It can also be dialed back (using the T. Dynamics control) to have a convincing tube-amp feel even at low volumes.

If you don't mind not having a warranty, you can find these used for about $150. Just make sure you get the 'II' version; the older generation has different cosmetics and sounds awful.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVTTSTUPRO

19. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

Orange Tiny Terror ($550) and a cheap 1X12 cab. This will bring the total a bit over $600, but the amp would be hard to beat for classic rock tones.

20. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Kustom '36 Coupe can be had for under 600 bucks and it is a sweet amp.. and you know what.. he worked hard this summer, saved his money, sounds like a smart kid, so he can probably handle learning to change tubes and the basic maintanence of a tube amp.

The AC15cc is also pretty awesome at 599.

rock

bford