The 90's EVH / Mick Mars Blended Tone and Texture

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BamBam5150, Jun 22, 2014.

1. BamBam5150

BamBam5150 Member

I see what your saying that having that persons amp gets u half way there. However , I am personally confident that I can plug into a generic high gain amp and at least sound 45-55% like Eddie.

StummerJoe likes this.
  2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I looked for the quote from Eddie about that apocryphal encounter, but I couldn't
    find it in either of the first two issues of GP that he was interviewed in.
    I thought it happened on one of their first couple of tours though.
    Those interviews were classic!

3. Flash6969

Flash6969 Member

..and some of this stuff helps

[​IMG]

4. GermanCDN

GermanCDN Member

The Nuge (and Jerry Cantrell) said the same thing 10 years later as well when Damn Yankees and AIC opened up for VH on the Carnal Knowledge tour.

StummerJoe likes this.
  5. BamBam5150

BamBam5150 Member

It's in the fingers and how you dig into it. I'm tellin ya

StummerJoe likes this.
  6. BamBam5150

BamBam5150 Member

It's like 65% playing/ with a descent amp. 35% effects. Anything other than that and your barking up the wrong tree with what you or whom your trying to accomplish

Dannyz likes this.
  7. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Who's rig is this?

8. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

9. wcfields

wcfields Member

I get EVH......but Mick Mars' tone? Didn't think anyone would ever bring that up.........:messedup

voodoosound likes this.
  10. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

Yeah , about that much. His amp secret was upper mids. They are tricky to nail. And pickups.

At the same time, you can get the sound with a ten year old Podt XT on the "Eruption" preset.....at least on record. Its bang on. Doesn't work live , though. Too compressed.

11. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

Mick has an amazing tone! It has been always original, he is no dumb metalhead. The detuned thing is a major reason, but he has a mojo going on. You would never confuse him for someone else. Light gauge strings detuned a step and a half, plus the right amp (Or modeller) ;). Even in his seventies bands like White Horse and Vendetta he had the Crue Sound.

12. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

Yeah i can vouch for the Mick tone! It is massive! I have that rack documented somewhere. Wrote down every single cable. The three SLO100's W/D/W with the VHT power was the secret. Speaker out from the SLO into a Palmer into mostly the H3000 and a PCM70 then VHT power. Im telling you guys, MASSSIVVE!!!!

StummerJoe and Dannyz like this.
  13. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Me too..I wouldn't have thought about him until I watched a 'live' show on Palladia or some network. Great sound!

14. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Great story. Mick had massive tone with that rig. That self titled disc with Corabi is Huge tone!

Hamer95USA likes this.
  15. tone?

tone? Member

Nope I think its the guys who actually practiced and when they could actually play like their hero they found that they "nailed the tone".
    Before you get to that point, you really dont know.
    Of course extremes are taken out of the equation.

even amp gurus like John Suhr , Freidman, Bogner etc....say that its in your fingers. And are beyond annoyed when people purchase their amps and cant "sound" like their hero who uses the same amp or the amp its designed around.

Ever wonder why guys like Rockstah, Pete Thorn and others demo gear and it sounds great???
    Hmmmm.................

They you get it in your hands and wonder why it doesnt sound the same??

StummerJoe likes this.
  16. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

Then why is it that when I play through a EVH amp I can sound much closer to Eddie as opposed to playing through a similarly high gain solid state Randall and sound nothing like him?

I'm using the same fingers and technique.

If James Hetfield used a Fender champ on the next Metallica record it wont sound like Metallica.

I don't agree.

17. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

^It's both. You'll hear EVH in his playing no matter what amp he's going through.
    Probaby the same with Hetfield. He'd sound like him playing a ss Randall or a Diezel.
    He'd sound the same using a dirt box through the Champ mic'd up.

I always think of this story when this debate comes up:
    Chet Atkins walks out of a recording studio. Man says "Boy, Chet, that guitar sure sounded good." Atkins puts the guitar down, leans it against the wall and asks, "How does it sound now?"

That kinda says it all.

Anyway, on the original topic from a few months back, I immediately thought, Marshall and SLO blended to get EVH and Mars tone.
    I think Mars has great tone and is a great player. I think he is underrated. People don't give him much credit, but that band has 3 great musicians who rocked it hard. I'm not even a big Motley Crue fan, but I can't deny their talent and tone, live and in the studio.

18. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Part of the challenge of being a good player these days is finding a place where your fingers can play a certain and/or unique amp tone like it was an instrument onto itself. When you get there, you can still get 80% of that sound with different amps and different tones, but the intangible will always be where the stars align.

Some of the old school guys like Ted Nugent seem to have it all in the fingers. He always has great tone, but I think he could play a $20 Gorilla amp in a pawn shop and still hit 100% entertainment factor. (I'm certain he would close by taking a bow and arrow set off the wall and killing the Gorilla ... but that's a whole other type of intangible).

19. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Do you know what cab/speakers were used by Mick back then on studio? @Supercubziggy

Thanks!.

20. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

There’s a certain fire to playing at that level you’re just not going to have if you’re not doing it for a living. I think the gear is a bigbfactor in a artists sound but what Eddie or whoever sounded like in 1990 is the result of being able to Play huge amps at huge volumes for years and years on end. They can just work with the equipment so much more organically.

Dannyz and Silver like this.