"The absence of profanity will offend no one."

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, Apr 22, 2015.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

About 20 years ago I saw a small poster in a room that said "The absence of profanity will offend no one." Simple thought that stuck with me.

I was looking for a live clip of the Foo Fighters' "Times Like These" this morning and found the video below. It reminded me that every time I see a live FF clip there's Grohl, a spectacular musician, gratuitously dropping the F bomb in various iterations ad nauseum.

When you see him interviewed or on network TV he seems like a bright, well-spoken guy. He often has his young daughter in tow and looks like a loving dad.

I'm wondering if anyone sees anything "positive" in his performance "style" seen here. Grohl's not the only guy who does this, but I know of no other mainstream performers who do. He's not a metalhead in front of a mosh pit.

2. kselbee

kselbee Member

There's absolutely no language one could use that would offend me, but when I see bad language in certain situations it makes me think a little less of that person. To me it's all about the situation and if you're unsure, you should watch what you say.

3. mikebat

mikebat Member

I guess it appeals to the sense of rebellion that has a long history in rock and roll. It kinda smacks of insincerity at times (like a pop star wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt). Just dropping it in a between song segment the way Dave does it does not have the impact that it does when it is an integral part of the meaning of song like "Killing in the Name Of" from RATM, or "Eat My Dust" from Catherine Wheel.

With Dave, his F-bombs seems to hang out there...purposely for effect.

I like the FF and Dave, and I have been critical of times, especially lately. In the end, I don't have to like everything he does or says to enjoy his music. I make it about what I want to make it about so that I can enjoy it. Me me me!

4. imbuedblue

imbuedblue Member

1. Isn't that quote a ground rule for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings? It makes sense in that context.

2. Trying not to offend is not something rock musicians should be concerned about.

3. "****" is the duct tape of the English language.

[​IMG]

5. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I have no problem with the language. I have never understood people concerned with profanity. Even super religious types. What do you care if other people say naughty words? Were all adults, here.

6. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

... because Lemmy?

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Grohl's stage persona has developed to be what it is. It is part of his product.
    When I am playing a gig, I am very turned off by band leaders' use of profanity, especially in stage banter. I usually think to myself, "yet another gig I won't invite my friends and family to."
    I stopped cussing about 15 years ago. So now, when something slips, whoever hears it knows I am seriously stirred up.
    For prolific swearers, there is no means by which they can enhance emotion through language.

I love the quote shared. Unfortunately, the offense now will be of those thinking it is infringing on their right to use profanity. I predict this thread might resemble to bitter debate usually reserved for marijuana threads.

When a person chooses to use profanity, especially in a mic, recording, or print/type, they are saying something about themselves.

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Good for you. I don't think the OP is concerned with the use of profanity either - he made no mention of being offended or put off by its use. He's asking why it's used. And as was pointed out by mikebat, Grohl's use of the f-bomb appears to be used for effect, as a tool to convey a message or attitude.

9. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

I really like DG, and I'm a mild fan of the Foo's, but I agree with the OP re the swearing. It doesn't offend me...it just sounds stupid.

10. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I don't three or four mothers the way he used them is too bad. Some times an adjective is a good thing. I think when it's used negatively is when I would take issue. I thank my girlfriend for that. English is not her first language so if we had an argument she wild say stop using adjectives. It really made me thought in terms of communication.

11. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

DG has a reputation for running his mouth for too long at shows. Honestly, a few less F-bombs and he'd probably be back in the norm.

12. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

It's calculated for whatever demographic he's in front of.

13. Cado

Cado Member

Excessive profanity is old, tired & lame. I'm not offended by it but a little creativity would impress me.

14. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

It's funny when Mumford & Sons do "Little Lion Man" live, and when they get to that line in the chorus, the guy yells, "I really FFFFFUUUU*KED it up this time." It's rather silly. Not a bad line, but the way he shouts the F bomb makes it sound like he's never said the word before, he just discovered this incredibly rebellious thing that will set people's ears on fire and convince everyone of how subversive he is. Dude, we've heard the F word before.

Grohl, of course, is the opposite - can't describe a cute puppy without casually dropping 20 F bombs. I don't find it offensive, but it's juvenile and it gets old.

15. Belmont

Belmont Member

words have a purpose and function, it's just a word, a word with many meanings.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

For whatever reason, profanity in songs always gets a crowd reaction in da clubs.

Have you guys seen Ben Folds doing his cover of Dre's B$*%es Aint Sh&#?

It's fecking genius.

I work all day with polite, well-scrubbed, milquetoast people. Sometimes it's nice to hear someone show some non-robotic personality.

17. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

OK. Words can also be over-used or used in a stupid way...

18. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I don't there is an identifiable "demographic" at a FF show in front of 20,000 fans at an arena like Madison Square Garden.

19. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

Dave's swearing sounds "non-robotic" to you? To me it sounds completely robotic...

20. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

No, I'm not really a FF fan: watching a grown-ass man yelling out songs with teenage angst does nothing for me.

I'm saying in general, the selective use of swearing can be effective and make you seem a little less like a boring corporate twat. :p